Movie Trivia Quiz

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Marilyn Monroe?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

No, she's blond and a singer alright! Yet a more va-va voom than this one.

Another hint-she took over for Judy Garland in an Irving Berlin musical when it was made into a movie.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Could it be Ethel Merman ?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Just remembered, Ethel wasn't blonde.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

You are red hot and also close. :wink: Seriously, you have the right musical at least Ms. Merman made it famous on stage.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Oh, you mean Betty Hutton? The song title was throwing me. It was originally called "Blow a Fuse."

She was in The Greatest Show On Earth.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

"You're not a man! You've got sawdust in your veins!" has to be one of the most beautifully overwrought lines in the history of English language film. I believe it was Hutton who had the privilege of delivering it to a shockingly young Charlton Heston in that film. As a matter of opinion, The Greatest Show On Earth also stands as the worst film to ever win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

El Vez wrote:The Greatest Show On Earth also stands as the worst film to ever win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
I have to respectfully disagree with you there, on the grounds that it ignores the fact that Driving Miss Daisy and Terms of Endearment (over The Right Stuff) won the Best Picture Oscar. A LOT of atrocious movies have won the Best Picture Oscar. The Greatest Show on Earth is merely awful.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Assuming Betty Hutton is right, I'll ask a question (and if Betty Hutton is wrong, then I apologize for my impertinence).

Who wrote the screenplay for Jaws 2?
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

While I am far from these movies biggest fans (you have to be an elderly Jewish lady to be that), I think these are both pretty watchable movies despite have highly questionable, even hateable, aspects to bot of them for different reasons.

All of James L. Brooks movies are sort of uncomfortable mixtures of high comic intelligence and low pandering. "Miss Daisy" -- as I now dimly recall -- is surprisingly honest from a Jewish point of view, and probably very dishonest from an African-American one.

I see your point, but I must confess I actually enjoyed most of both movies -- but it's not something I'm that proud of.

Actually have not seen "Greatest"...maybe I'd like it partially too!
Last edited by bobster on Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Carl Gottlieb. I remember that one because they played that damn movie on Showtime every week for years. The late, great Michael O'Donoghue (writer for the early years of SNL as well as creator of "Mr. Mike") wrote an opening scene for some never-filmed comedy where Peter Benchley is sitting by his pool writing another terrible shark story only to have a great white emerge from the deep end to devour him before he can finish.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Correct sir.

Carl also wrote Jaws and Jaws 3-D, as well as having a writing credit on The Jerk. Carl played Ben Meadows in Jaws.
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

What blaxploitation classic featured Ernie Hudson in his debut film role?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

To put a finsih on it- you're right Noiseradio! I know it's 'Blow A Fuse' but it was a clue for the benefit of any Bjork fans that may want to guess. I love 'The Greatest Show on Earth' because it's absurd had an Oscar Wilde and Robert Browning reference.

I have no idea about such things El Vez-'Blackula' in the spirit of things.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Blacula is a fun movie but I am afraid that is not the correct answer. However, Blacula does feature the wonderful Elisha Cook in one of his last film roles.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Well at least some common ground I enjoy Elisha Cook's work. "They never found the heads!"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

lapinsjolis wrote:Well at least some common ground I enjoy Elisha Cook's work. "They never found the heads!"
I never thought of us as being diametrically opposed. Other than my particular taste in trash cinema, that is.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Um, is it a Dolomite film?
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

It was Dolemite II: The Human Tornado. The floor is now yours, sir.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Wow. Totally a guess. I'm not sure I deserve credit for that. But I'll take it.

In what made-for-TV movie did Tom Hanks make his debut as a lead actor?
--William Shakespeare
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Oh, I saw a TV program about this just before I left Tokyo. Was it 'Dungeons & Dragons' or something similar ?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You're very close. Right movie, wrong title.
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Was it Mazes and Monsters? I remember seeing that years ago, loosely based on D&D...don't know if it had Tom Hanks in it though, but it was pretty bad! A load of kids go and play the game in a cave, and then one of them goes mad and think's he's in the game, and there's a bloke in a dragon suit! :lol:
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

You win! Tom Hanks played the nutjob in question. An unintentionally very funny cautionary tale of the dangers of Role Playing Games. (love to see MST3K tackle this one) .Tom Hanks is the best thing in it, but he was not very far down the Road to Perdition at this point, if you catch my drift.

Your question, oh mighty crow....
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

In the film of Chuck Barris' biography, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, which two A-list movie stars make unspeaking cameos as contestants on The Dating Game?