Ok Computer vs Get Happy

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Bob And Charlotte wrote:
cosmos wrote:Sparacus
Eggrert

B & C, I know you are one of them. 'Fess up!!!

WELL, let´s see:

1: I do love Street Legal
2: I don´t think of Bowie as bein´the best artist of the past 100 years
3: Blonde on Blonde is my favourite record of all time
4: The Strokes isn´t better than Dylan nowadays
5: Dylan isn´t on my top 5 actors of all time

well... in fact, i was King of Tyrus(bobdylan.com), or KoTyrus(eggrertmessageboard) and cursini(theolddylandiscussion).
B&C,
Did you ever post on Immy's board? She sent me all the info, but I could never get logged in. Don't you miss Sparacus???
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

i miss the whole dylan.com discussion...

wildest cat, boolucky,...

>She sent me all the info, but I could never get logged in.

same for me here! i even send her an e-mail (but she never respond to me :oops: )
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

B&C, I hear they're reissuing more Dylan remasters... any idea as to which ones are coming out?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I think they're doing the rest of the studio albums, Blue.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sweeeeeeeet 8)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
normabuel

Post by normabuel »

I'd pick Get Happy over OK Computer. I think the decision gets tougher if you compare The Bends with Get Happy. Both great, but completely different albums, different moods.

I'd pick the Tom Tom Club over Kiss any old day, Genius of Love and Word Rappinghood are great, and I think Adrian Belew is a great guitar player! Kiss has a larger body of work, but who cares!
Bob And Charlotte

i check at expectingrain and bringingitallbackhomepage and there´s nothing about this.

Blue, please let me know if you have any further information!

it will be a great pleasure to hear 'Boots of Spanish Leather' , 'Went to See the Gypsy' , 'Sign on the Window' , 'Every Grain of Sand' , 'Dark Eyes' and all the others in fact :D , in a SACD sound.

(but i would be even more pleased if Columbia released the Genuine Basement Tapes box...)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Tell me about it.. any idea what the next chapter in the Bootleg Series will be? It'd be cool to have a more complete show from the 1974 tour with The Band.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Well yeah I'd pick GH, cos Im more of an EC fan...BUT

I think about Radiohead this way; Pablo Honey was them as an Oxford indie band, starting out followwing the britpop trend...The Bends is a phenomenal album, them finding their true voice, but it's still an album which can be appreciated by the mainstream on the whole.
OK Computer was the record that many think defined them..it was the turning point for them creatively. The first time Greenwood (a great musician by anyone's standards) was allowed to have a free reign, and Yorke could fully instill his bile and disdain for modern society into the songs, but this record still has an element of mainstream in it.
Kid A and Amnesiac, although both OK, were rushed and diluted. These two albums put together, with some songs removed, would have been a masterpiece....but that came with Hail to the Thief. The album, creatively inspired by the political situation at the time (Hail to the thief was a banner held up when bush won presidency), and as such, the band got to let loose.

Anyway back to the question... if you think about OKC in those terms, as the turning point for the last BIG band (i.e. one that will be remembered forever for creating something new) then it is a masterstroke. I think in many ways Get Happy can be seen as such. This was the first album where he didn't try and live up to the 'angry young man' moniker...the first album where he covered old soul records, and experimented with other influences fully - a thing he would start to do on every subsequent record.
On strictly aesthetic terms I'd go for GH as a better record. In terms of which has the most emotional impact on me, it's OKC.
You can sing along with Gh though!!!!!! Try dancing around in your underpants to Fitter Happier!!!!! :lol:
Last edited by laughingcrow on Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob And Charlotte

I don´t know... there´s rumour that´s gonna be the gospel tours (which is nice, since beside STC the other 2 albums aren´t at Dylan´s standart, the concerts were pretty good).

I think that first they will release the new SACD Box and then the new Bootleg Series...
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Yes, I've also heard that a gospel show will be next in the Bootleg Series. There was also rumor of a bootleg-heavy Biograph II box in Ice magazine.

I read about the next batch of remasters in Billboard. They said nothing about live albums, just studio albums. And they'll be released individually and in a box set format, just like last time.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I have been struggling with a worthy opponent for a musical 'face-off' with "Get Happy" and I think I have it.

"Get Happy" vs Rockpiles "Seconds of Pleasure".

And the caveat is that you can keep ALL of your other Elvis Costello records but you must give up "Get Happy" if you select "Seconds of Pleasure". Reissues included.

If you know "Seconds of Pleasure", then imagine that you need to sacrifice it in your collection. Purge it. You can only keep one or the other.

"Danny's Choice"

Given the circumstances, I am leaning towards "Seconds".
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I love OK Computer. I played it recently, and it still sounds wonderful. When my third and final son was born, I wanted some music in the car that would, I hoped in advance, make me feel like I was walking on clouds as I was kicked out of the hospital and forced to return home. I chose Let Down. I loved the irony of the fact that I was in 57th heaven and the song was 'Let Down', and that we would face the inevitable 'A third boy! Oh...' nonsense because we were meant to be craving a girl, though we'd known for 5 months it was a boy, and I wouldn't ever have it any other way. But the thing was I wanted a song with that immense tidal wave of emotion that I could play very loud and feel elevated even more. I'd done "Heroes" on boy 2, so Let Down was my choice this time. It was perfect.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I love OK Computer. I played it recently, and it still sounds wonderful. When my third and final son was born, I wanted some music in the car that would, I hoped in advance, make me feel like I was walking on clouds as I was kicked out of the hospital and forced to return home. I chose Let Down. I loved the irony of the fact that I was in 57th heaven and the song was 'Let Down', and that we would face the inevitable 'A third boy! Oh...' nonsense because we were meant to be craving a girl, though we'd known for 5 months it was a boy, and I wouldn't ever have it any other way. But the thing was I wanted a song with that immense tidal wave of emotion that I could play very loud and feel elevated even more. I'd done "Heroes" on boy 2, so Let Down was my choice this time. It was perfect.
Three sons *gulp*!!! God help you. I have a daughter and one son and would never wish three boys on anyone!! You must be exhausted 24/7.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Not at all, the oldest is 11 and a half, the youngest nearly 4, so they're quite spread out, and not overly demanding. They accept my need to escape from reality from time to time...
Pov

Post by Pov »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I love OK Computer. I played it recently, and it still sounds wonderful. When my third and final son was born, I wanted some music in the car that would, I hoped in advance, make me feel like I was walking on clouds as I was kicked out of the hospital and forced to return home. I chose Let Down. I loved the irony of the fact that I was in 57th heaven and the song was 'Let Down', and that we would face the inevitable 'A third boy! Oh...' nonsense because we were meant to be craving a girl, though we'd known for 5 months it was a boy, and I wouldn't ever have it any other way. But the thing was I wanted a song with that immense tidal wave of emotion that I could play very loud and feel elevated even more. I'd done "Heroes" on boy 2, so Let Down was my choice this time. It was perfect.
Otis Westinghouse, a/k/a Fred MacMurray. :D
Otis Westinghouse

I had to look that one up!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis,

I love the way you think. I drove home from the hospital when my second son was born listening to...Airbag. Honest. The opening figure is just so majestic. And I felt rather majestic that day. So there you go.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not at all, the oldest is 11 and a half, the youngest nearly 4, so they're quite spread out, and not overly demanding. They accept my need to escape from reality from time to time...
Nice. I guess I'm just feeling particularly besieged at the moment. My wife's been in Australia for two weeks, and I've been left alone with my 4-year old daughter and very needy 2-year old son. All the while, I've been covering for my boss, who has been in Hong Kong.

The missus gets back on Friday! (Hooray!) I've already told her that I'm going to spend Saturday by myself at Yankee Stadium, drinking beer and watching grown men play a silly game. And I don't even like the Yankees - just needed to find something to do. :D
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not at all, the oldest is 11 and a half, the youngest nearly 4, so they're quite spread out, and not overly demanding. They accept my need to escape from reality from time to time...
You do drugs in front of your kids?! I'm sure that's like, double-illegal.
Otis Westinghouse

Actually, my eldest was a bit thrown by the prospect of me smoking at my recent birthday party (I hate cigarettes, you see). I told him the roll-ups friends were offering me were extra tasty - which they were!

WSS?: your comments make more sense now! Shame you can't go and watch Chelsea instead.

Noise: great minds think alike! Do you think Radiohead intended their LP to be the perfect soundtrack to dads high on the unbelievable mixture of ecstasy (no, MBA, don't get me wrong) and relief that is the post-partum experience?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:WSS?: your comments make more sense now! Shame you can't go and watch Chelsea instead.
I was considering trying to catch the Brum game at Nevada Smith's, the local footy pub, but I think they're showing something else - maybe United-Norwich City. So it's off to da Bronx instead.