Will The Delivery Man be as good as a studio album ?!?!

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Will The Delivery Man be as good as a studio album ?!?!

Post by johnfoyle »

For the last few Elvis albums I've been lucky enough to hear them well in advance of release . Similarly I usually know the songs well when I hear them performed live for the first time.

This is not going to be the case with The Delivery Man. In the absence of hearing the studio album I've been listening to a compilation - tracks in the same order as the album - of live performances of the songs.

Needless to say , I find them excellent. I'll hold any further comment until the album itself appears. However I find myself wondering - will The Delivery Man be as good as a studio album ?!?!

Hopefully it will. Maybe the finished recordings will be a lot tighter , less guitar noodling all over the place etc.

It is still a rather odd conundrum , of sorts.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I've only heard the songs with EC&SN playing, and have been really impressed with what I've heard. Some of the songs are delicate pieces, some more r'n'r, but they're all pretty catchy. The only one I wasn't initially keen on was Monkey To Man...but it has grown on me, and I think it'll sound great as it's meant to be, with the band rather than just with a piano/acoustic guitar accompaniment as I have heard
I imagine with the whole band, this album is going to sound great - and I actually think it will be a critical success.
I'm imagining a cross between KoA and WIWC, sounding most like Sleep of the Just.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I love Sleep Of The Just, so if what you're saying turns out to be true, this is going to be EC at his very best and the album I've been waiting for since ATUB. :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

The snippets sound great, many thanks to our friend, Stormwarning. This is the way I like Elvis- direct and soulful, with his unique phrasing forming melodies of its own! And all of this from 30-second clips! I can't wait to hear the full album. The band sounds great, with Steve's ORGAN being dominant in some tracks for the first time in years.

I agree with migdd- this sounds like a BAND for the first time since "Blood and Chocolate."

And El's vocals- like I said- passionate and real, thankfully giving that vibrato a rest on this one. Come on, Sept. 21!
BrilliantMistake45

Post by BrilliantMistake45 »

norman brain wrote:The snippets sound great, many thanks to our friend, Stormwarning. This is the way I like Elvis- direct and soulful, with his unique phrasing forming melodies of its own! And all of this from 30-second clips! I can't wait to hear the full album. The band sounds great, with Steve's ORGAN being dominant in some tracks for the first time in years.

I agree with migdd- this sounds like a BAND for the first time since "Blood and Chocolate."

And El's vocals- like I said- passionate and real, thankfully giving that vibrato a rest on this one. Come on, Sept. 21!
Where could I hear these? Thanks.
I wish that I could push a button
And talk in the past and not the present tense
And watch this hurtin' feeling disappear
Like it was common sense
It was a fine idea at the time
Now it's a brilliant mistake

~Elvis Costello
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

BM45, go to the TRADING POST section and follow Stormwarning's instructions under the "Almost Blue Disc3" subject. He is very generously sharing these and other great rarities with us.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I just want to say that I can't take the credits for uploading The Delivery Man clips, so I'm just as happy and grateful as the rest of you.

I fully agree Brother Norm and think this new release is going to be a long term classic. Only 35 days to go !