Cleaning my oven on my day off

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Cleaning my oven on my day off

Post by ice nine »

I don't use my oven much, but every year I clean it. Boy, does this job blow. First, you spray that toxic cleaner that makes you gag and weez and then you spend a half an hour on your knees reaching into the oven to clean the thick brown sludge out.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Is there some allegorical aspect to this that I'm missing ? If not , having spent some time in these quiet summer days cleaning parts of my shop , I could not agree more . How could I have worked surrounded by such filth!
maria

Post by maria »

Yeh, but after the gag and weez, the brown gluey sludge and mountain of rancid kitchen roll comes the high, perhaps off the clean oven? But I've always suspected there's somet upper behind all that lemony zing. Perhaps we're on to something here. Should we cut it down into foil packs and head for town? It's Saturday night after all.
oh I just dunno where to begin
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

When I finished uni every year, me and my pal used to have a massive clean of the kitchen before we left our accomodation (so we didn't get deposit deducted from)...and it always took the best part of a day, even though we usually had a really clean kitchen. No, seriously...clean student digs!
I reccomend those wirey brushes to clean the oven, as long as you're not worried about scratches...
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Ice - just a suggestion why dont you give it a wipe over each time you do use it? That way you wouldnt have a mammouth job yearly and the fat doesnt get baked on like concrete! :lol:

Another neat tip to save cleaning is to line your grill pan and the top of your hob and the bottom of your oven with silver foil (dunno what you call it over there but its the foil you cook your chicken etc in). Just cut out holes for the electric/gas rings. Then all you have to do when it gets mucky is throw it away! Also saves on the cooking bills as it reflects the heat and things cook quicker.

Now im going to shut the **** up and stop boring you with all this useless drivvel!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I recommend cleaning your freezer instead (as I did yesterday). Just sit back and watch it melt.
maria

Post by maria »

Thank the lord, he has 9 lives
oh I just dunno where to begin
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Self-cleaning ovens are where it's at, kiddies.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Thanks for the household tips everyone. I have tried covering the burners with aluminum foil before, Gilli, but it's so much effort to cut the foil and wrap the foil around the burners.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

You can all breath easy. I am done cleaning my kitchen. All that's left to do is mop the floor.
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

are you hiring out for this kind of work? my kitchen could use you.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Surely you just get the maid to clean it. That's what we do at Verbal Towers :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I bought him the outfit, but Mr. Swung refuses to wear it.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Has it got the proper feather duster though?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nah, Verbal. If I know Mr. Swung, it's because the lacy apron didn't have a pocket to put his beer can in. :wink:
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Well, it looks as though I'll be cleaning my ENTIRE kitchen from top to bottom since I dropped 15 lbs. of dog food all over it. That's what happens when you have 2 hungry bucking bronco dogs at your feet and one complaining hungry cat at 7am AND the dog food bin is on a shelf way up over your head.
Any tips for getting rid of dog food dust?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I think dogs are pretty good at licking it up...
marblefaun

Post by marblefaun »

Yes but then you have everything covered in dog saliva!!!
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Yes, but if you have two dogs, everything is covered in dog saliva anyway!