The Perfect Weekend

This is for all of your writings, songs, pictures or however else you feel like expressing yourself. Have at it!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i can see a book of these, w/ shag illustrations.

the title: lyrics for unwritten songs
A rope leash

Eliot's condensed life

Post by A rope leash »

It would make a nice book. Print it out, cut it up, and staple it. Lapins, when a writer gives it to the web for free, should the writer worry about someone stealing it?

As for my cynicism, well, I think we all know that this dog has a real fear of true love. Eternal love would require a belief in the eternity of the individual soul, which we all know is impossible for me to accept, even though I find it to be a rather romantic notion.

Yes, I've become quite the hard-ass in my old age. Undoubtedly, I have loved folks and still do, although it is almost always tinged with some sort of disrespect, or even hate. One could take the example of my parents, whom I certainly loved, but who I also hated, for the obvious reasons, that they beat me and otherwise stood in the way of my passions by ridiculing them. ("There's nothing more useless than a writer, except maybe an artist") The same sort of love applies to my siblings, all of whom I love and some of whom I respect, but also some of which are racist bigots.

I've had a lot of pets, but for some reason, I never fall in love with them. Yeah-hum, they're cuddly and such, but they're also a lot of hassle.

Now, when it comes to true "romantic" love, my experiences in this boil down to the two most horrible episodes of my life, the redhead, and my dead wife. I loved these two with all my being, and they destroyed me. So, eternal love might be possible, but if it's an eternity of me loving one of those witches, I'll just go it alone, thank you.

So, to boil it dry, while birth-copulation-death is the norm, (see My Son, My Executioner), I do find the concept of birth-death-copulation intruiging. It's a leap of faith, but it seems that my heart desires it still.

Good work, you doing that to me....

lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Poppet-I may need him but he certainly doesn't need me! If only. . .

A Rope Leash-Copyrighting oooh. I thought I was among friends. While the dates may on posts may not be terribly secure it is a sort of lawful copyright. I promise to do that more formally. I do know a few tricks in regards to copyrighting. Though I've pretty much given up on writing as any sort of profession. I hate to confess it but I have a few lawyers in the family as back up. They must be good for something!

If you don't believe in eternity then the relative forever ends with you? Will you love them with your dying breath? It comes down to what makes love worthy, the object or the one the love comes from. It's the the person who gives of course. The love you describe is rare and beautiful, it is unconditional.

I suspect their is a depth to you've hidden beneath the swagger and pain. If you let go of all the past betrayals and heartaches you'll find the purity of who you are and the truth as well. You are a seeker of truth and perhaps it's because you sense that is where your happiness is and is waiting for you.

I've been destroyed by people in my life as well but it left the foundation I'm building on today. So even for all the pain they have caused, I have a debt of gratitude. For now I'm no longer defined by others, that is a gift in itself.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

lapinsjolis wrote:If you don't believe in eternity then the relative forever ends with you? Will you love them with your dying breath? It comes down to what makes love worthy, the object or the one the love comes from. It's the the person who gives of course. The love you describe is rare and beautiful, it is unconditional.

I suspect their is a depth to you've hidden beneath the swagger and pain. If you let go of all the past betrayals and heartaches you'll find the purity of who you are and the truth as well. You are a seeker of truth and perhaps it's because you sense that is where your happiness is and is waiting for you.

I've been destroyed by people in my life as well but it left the foundation I'm building on today. So even for all the pain they have caused, I have a debt of gratitude. For now I'm no longer defined by others, that is a gift in itself.

Lapins! Wow, you're amazing. Why don't you publish those 3 paragraphs??? you're a beautiful person. :)
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
A rope leash

Ah, truth...

Post by A rope leash »

Back when I was more willing to believe, I thought the love I was feeling for "the destroyers" came from God, whatever the implications of that required in terms of faith. How else could I feel so strongly for them? When it came down to reality, they were dispicable people and not all that good-looking. I felt that God wanted me there, or else I wouldn't be so nutty in love.

But, now, I think it was probably the hormones involved in human procreation. I didn't know it, but I wanted to reproduce. But after that, only death remains, so in a way, I'm still alive, and there's still hope.

I believe the only unconditional love is parental. Even then, it can be tainted by distrust or even distance. I tried to believe that my love for "the worst drunkard you've ever seen" was total and unwavering, but after a while the instinct for survival took over, and I had to take care of myself by getting out. It helped her a lot, too.

I'm not following you on "the relative forever". When I say I don't believe something, that's all it means: I don't believe it. It doesn't mean that it isn't true, and I certainly cannot say that my death is the final end of me. I just don't know for sure, and I'm fairly certain that nearly everyone else has doubts as well. I am far more comfortable saying that it is a low-probabilty scenario than I am saying that "I believe". It's nice to fantasize, but I must side with caution, as I've seen the danger in blind faith.

If I let go of the past, then I'd have no fodder for stories. It's impossible to completely let go, because sure as shit I'll have some sleep-mare that will bring it all back. But, I'm comfortable with it now, and while finding truth does make me happy, the actual truth itself is not always glorious. Take, for instance, the truth about this war. It's a lot more about the USA covering it's consumptive interests than it is about protecting us from Saddam bin Laden. Knowing that we are expected to take a lie as truth on a regular basis is pretty disheartening. Knowing that you can fall totally in love with someone who is fucking the entire neighborhood is not what I would call "liberating".

Anyway, that's probably too much. I have also given up on going professional as a writer, although I know it could still happen. I'm giving it all away to some good buds on a hero's blog board, and if someone steals it and gets rich, well, that's what lawyers are for.

Another thing about that: The writers on this board prove a very good point, and that is that fame as a writer has very little to do with talent itself, at least that's the case lately. Fame in any endeavour results through a combination of talent, opportunity, connections, and luck. That's why any artist must do it from the heart, because in the end it may be only the artist that gives a shit about it, and it may also be the only true way of "living forever".
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Lessthanzero-How very sweet! All you guys need to take up jobs as editors.

A Rope Leash-I didn't mean transitory truth, but eternal. It's not a forgetting of the past but a reconciliation with it I meant. Also not to punish yourself for other people's misdeeds. All true love is unconditional. Unconditional in that you love the person no matter what but not to the point where you put up with cruelty and infidelity. That would be emotional suicide.

I'm glad you haven't given up on eternity--entirely.

So that's what lawyers are for! Point taken, I shall post no more as far as poetry is concerned. My poetess pen rests as I venture off to the weekend... :arrow:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

lapinsjolis... you are a truly remarkable woman.
A rope leash

I remember...

Post by A rope leash »

You young-uns are sumpin elts. Too bad walkin backwards don't turn back time.

So long, beautiful...
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Bluechair-Why thank you! . . as for your endeavor I'd love to do 'Hoover Factory' accompanied by air guitar (any apt air guitarist on the board?)if a certain someone will get drunk enough to do 'Little Savage'. I don't have the necessary gadgets and I have a Macintosh, so I'm not sure the download would work. It does look as if it's shaping up to be a wonderful project.

A Rope Leash-I'm still here! You can't get rid of me that easily.

Thank you to everyone for the comments and taking the trouble to read through all of this. I really do appreciate the time you took and all of you.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Bambooneedle, your verse reminds me of the lines from a popular song: "Girl, you must be a football coach the way you've got me playing the field."

Mug, thank you kindly, it's good to see you posting too. If you "retire the jersey" of that quip you will have to get a New Jersey.

Dear Lapinsjolis, your creative gifts and knowledge are amazing and inspirational. You may call me anything you like but I share my first and middle names with two Foyle brothers. :wink:

Some more reflections on your poems, from the middle of this thread on:

--Lapins Noir: The idea that unworthy or evil feelings are not expressed openly but can't be contained concludes with a violent image, a very dark life.

--Morning: This is quite simply a brilliant poem, I can't quote from it because each line is fully realized and contributes to the whole. Illusion, deception, false luminescence, insistent longing, a soul unsheathed.... Your first drafts are what others would strain to achieve and still fail.

--Verse accompanying the Mark Ryden painting: the "archetype" and "romanticized" descriptions effectively create an air of uncertainty about the subject.

--Song of midnight: I am partial to night music and often stay up late so the atmosphere of this is so natural and agreeable to me: "The song midnight sings to the blackest of skies/ Lives a short while then sweetly dies." It's startling the way those last two words are juxtaposed.

--Falling from grace: when the moral sense is dulled, sin can become a mere routine, and occasion for ennui. This mixes the religious and psychological. I prize the opening and closing couplets espeically.

--Presence of the dead: "I have always known you before you came to be/ You're my second nature, you're more myself than me." If love is eternal it can transcend the temporal and reach toward perfection. This is a moving and important idea.

I have enjoyed and appreciated and learned from these poems. LJ, I think you're magnificent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

MM, I didn't think it came across sleazy or anything, though. The guy is honest, if very direct. It's not an uncommon reaction to overly-demanding women. And Rope, I think all the answers to those questions are in my poem. I've made a couple of improvements on it. (I'll save people the trouble of going back, and of course all can enjoy once more 8) ):

You make me hungry for success
then I could chase another dress,
it's not that I would dare
or am out to use or maim you
just that I'd be square I confess
to think beauty is so rare
and not peruse the menu

I'll post another one soon -- now I'm committed.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A rope leash

You're so lovable!

Post by A rope leash »

He'd turn the flowers of springtime into a wreath
He says he'd love you eternally
I say please please can't you keep it brief...

Elvis Costello - Lovable
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Lapins,

I love your words. If there was a tune that would fit them, would you allow me to try to make them work? No promises. I'm not as adept at writing music as you a re at words.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Mr. Misery-Thank you for the magnificence you used on the beyond generous analysis. Jeepers!

Bambooneedle-Committed? Are the restraints comfortable?

Hey Rope! Shouldn't quote Elvis so near to my writing!

Noiseradio-I'd be honored if you want to experiment with the words with music-forge ahead. I'm sure you are down playing your musicality.
A rope leash

Easy money

Post by A rope leash »

But, Noise! Any song entitled Ya Gotta Feel Good About Yerself is a sure fire number one hit! Hell, the music for those lyrics almost writes itself!

Laps, what's wrong? It's an appropriate quote, and you're so lovable!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Is it going 'round town? :shock: :wink:
A rope leash

You didn't hear it from me...

Post by A rope leash »

Well, I'm not one to gossip, but...just going by the throng of eager male posters here on this thread, I'd say ya gotta feel good about yerself...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

No no, I mean that I'm now committed to writing another poem :lol: . Soon.

I don't think committment can ever be really be promised absolutely or forever, because you just don't know. And it's a dumb idea, because it invites that you be taken for granted. It's false 'romance' - it's better not to state such outlandish promises, imo. Romance happens best when things are kept real.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Bambooneedle: Beatrice has answered your narrator. Hark!

Thank you for your honesty
Sleaziness is not lost on me
It's not that I've been maimed
Nor that I've been defamed
Just that what pleases me
Is also success, so I am forced
To leave you for Dr. J--he's got a Porsche.

I will provide an in depth analysis of this poem soon. Watch for it! :wink:

Lapinsjolis, I would like to join you in a duet on the air guitar "Hoover Factory." :D
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

A Rope Leash-That is a shameless plug! A single girl who is at home on a Saturday night nursing a rabbit needs all the attention she can get. Even if it's only cyber.

Bambooneedle-To the single hearted a total gift of self is something that is essential. Exclusivity is not impossible it just means it's not until someone better comes along but that you choose the person that is a part of you. Who brings out the best, challenges you not who is the cutest. You can't know but you can decide. If I'm ever to marry I would give myself entirely and passionately and I'm waiting for a man who would do the same. He'd have to, cause he couldn't get out of it! You'd have to fall in love with each other a thousand times and resist countless temptations. Difficult? Yes, but is anything worth having ever easy? Chocolate maybe. .

But if you don't want that no one will be good enough.

Now for your new poem. . .

Mr. Misery-I'm sure you could manage on actual guitar, I can. . almost. I accept your offer for a collaboration if we can convince Bluechair and Dr.J. Dr.J may have a jealous streak and it's oh so new for you both. I could use Dr.J tonight to help me administer medication on my little rabbit but he can keep his car in Ireland.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Lapinsjolis, Dr. J and Bluechair are busy, so it would just be you and me. Did I mention I'm great with rabbits?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Mr. Misery, very well, let the merriment commence.

"Five miles out of London on the Western Avenue. Must have been a wonder. . ."
A rope leash

Sing-along intruder

Post by A rope leash »

...must have been a wonder when it was brand new
Talkin 'bout the splendor of the Hoover factory
I know that you'd agree if you had seen it, too

It's not a matter of life or death, but what is?
What is?

It doesn't matter if I take another breath
Who cares?

O wait! I live in misery, I'm not MISTER Misery...

Sorry for teasing, Laps.

Bamboo, thanks for saying what I was thinking. The concept is silly, and I suppose we are demons for acknowledging what is in our hearts.

Beautiful, but silly, and for the young...

Who cares? Who cares? Who cares?

wah-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh- ahh
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Now would a demon have such a lovely singing voice? I doubt it. Fear not A Rope Leash and Bambooneedle, I will not molest you. Your freedom and virtue are sacred to me! I'm not all that young Mr. Leash in misery but thanks for considering me as such. I am very silly though. :wink:
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

LJ, you're not silly, you're beautiful.

A Rope Leash, you should copyright that singing voice! :wink:

... It's green for go, green for action
From Park Royal to North Acton
Past scrolls and inscriptions like those of the Egyptian age
And one of these days the Hoover Factory is
Going to be all the rage in those fashionable pages...