New Rhino bonus tracks revealed! (AB/GCW/KV)

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

New Rhino bonus tracks revealed! (AB/GCW/KV)

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The track lists for the upcoming reissues of Almost Blue, Goodbye Cruel World, and Kojak Variety are now on display at the unofficial Elvis Costello on Rhino site:

http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/tracklists.html

The US release date is July 20. The UK date is July 26, at least for Almost Blue and Goodbye Cruel World.

(You may also want to visit this site from the front entrance: http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/rhino.html )
migdd

Post by migdd »

WWWWWWWWWWWWOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

im a HUGE fan of the AB second disc.

It looks like the GCW bonus disc is exactly what everyone was looking for...
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

Thanks, ANCT. You made my day!! Only Elvis Costello can make me buy his albums over and over, and beg for more!

I don't care how thoroughly you've followed the man for the last quarter-century, he still has unknown songs tucked away in those endless vaults. Come on, July 20!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Can't wait, they all look fabulous. I've never had KV and I've only got GCW on vinyl without a player!
signed with love and vicious kisses
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Wow, 26 and 27 tracks each for the GCW & Almost Blue Cds! I have most of them already but looking at the new exclusive stuff it's still gonna be worth another fortune.

I have to say, though, that I think it's weird that Elvis doesn't favour live tracks that are vastly superior to the studio versions instead of the mass of rough (but lovely) demos. I can't think of a better rock band than the Attractions on a good night and there are lots of bootlegs to prove it, but hardly any live releases.

Could we hope for a live multi-CD Bootleg Series as soon as all the new remasters have been released?
norman brain

Post by norman brain »

King Hoarse, nothing would please me more. Elvis spoke of a proposed live boxed set back during the Ryko reissues, but that was a decade ago and it still hasn't seen the light of day.

Of the hundreds of shows recorded, they tend to pull tracks from the same handful to this day. Geez, if Elvis doesn't want to be bothered with it, he should let someone like Gary Stewart head up the project with Bill Inglot cleaning up the tapes. In their heyday, the Attractions were the greatest live band around and it's just wrong how little is commercially available.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but how do we know that these tracklists are accurate? After all, this is a useful, but unofficial website.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's the UK amazon link for Almost Blue,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 13-5570203
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I can't wait. Haven't heard AB for years, never heard KV and only have an old tape of GCW. If these are accurate, they look pretty awesome. I love the range of stuff on KV, e.g. Tom Waits Innocent When Your Dream which I've been playing a lot recently. Sigh.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

A bit covers heavy, but that's appropriate I guess. GCW looks great. I will be buying them all.

When did the last ones come out? Was it last July?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Sour Milk Cow

Post by Sour Milk Cow »

BlueChair wrote:Not to burst anyone's bubble, but how do we know that these tracklists are accurate? After all, this is a useful, but unofficial website.
The info is always subject to change, but nunki's info has almost always been accurate. And in the rare case that his advance information has been different from the final tracklistings, it has been because EC or Rhino changed them at the last minute.

Nunki rules. And I'm damn damn excited about the Almost Blue bonus disc.
Pov

Post by Pov »

I'm gonna have to buy KV just for Dark End of the Street and Brilliant Disguise :shock:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Something tells me that 1991 Elvis can't sing "Dark End Of The Street". I know it was released in 1995, but he sings like its "Mighty Like A Rose" week.

EDIT:
I just read it was recorded between Spike and MLAR. Now that explains it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

In that case.. awesome! I'm looking forward to these three reissues as I don't own these particular albums yet in any form!

I'm particularly excited to hear Elvis' take on "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

Where´s King of America???
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

That's in the next batch after this one.

King Of America
Taking Liberties
The Juliet Letters

That's going be an awesome set!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Woo - and might I add - hoo!!!!!!
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

as far as i know (and i really don´t know much), the second set is goin to be better than this one....

btw, is gonna be realesed until the end of the year?
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The very next set is July 20th, the one after is probably over a year from now.

I think this set is much better.
bobster

Post by bobster »

A couple of interesting points about these wonderful souding lists....

EC actually recorded at least two versions "Cry, Cry, Cry". I once owned a single with a fan-freaking-tastic piano-based version as a b-side. A somewhat less f-f-tastic live, imho, guitar-based, version was included on the Rykodisc. I'm assuming/hoping this marks the return of the studio version.

I once saw jazz/classical harmonica player (harmonicist?) Larry Adler on "The Dick Cavett Show" on PBS -- and he claimed he detested all rock music, as I recall it. Guess he's more flexible than Gary Peacock.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

bobster wrote: I once saw jazz/classical harmonica player (harmonicist?) Larry Adler on "The Dick Cavett Show" on PBS -- and he claimed he detested all rock music, as I recall it. Guess he's more flexible than Gary Peacock.
That track is actually previously available on a compilation called The Glory Of Gershwin. Adler features prominently on many of the other tracks as well, with artists such as Sting and George Michael!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Cool.........why is it released in th US first this time though? Not that Im begrudging anyone *Jealous*
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

If you order from these links , John E.'s fab Costello site gets a few pennies -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 12-7021445

Almost Blue

Audio CD (July 26, 2004)

Number of Discs:2
Label: Edsel
ASIN: B0002FHAFG
Catalogue Number: MANUS107

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 12-7021445

Goodbye Cruel World

Audio CD (July 26, 2004)

Number of Discs:2
Label: Edsel
ASIN: B0002FHAFQ
Catalogue Number: MANUS110
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

laughingcrow wrote:Cool.........why is it released in th US first this time though? Not that Im begrudging anyone *Jealous*
Says who? As far as I can tell, the UK will still get these earlier than the US as usual. I doubt North America will get these until August or September.

Welcome back, laughingcrow!