Top 5 "THIS YEAR`S MODEL" Songs

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You're missing the point, wehitandrun.

The issue is not whether or not Elvis likes "Watching The Detectives" or "Radio, Radio." Of course he likes them. He also recognizes that they are two of his biggest hits. But this is just as much due to their value as singles in the UK as album tracks in the US.

The issue is whether or not he intended them for the album. In Britain, he was content to release the tracks as singles, whereas the US policy was to sell more records by putting the singles on the albums. Now, in the case of "Watching The Detectives" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding", these tracks have been seen as being a part of the album for a long time.

In the case of Elvis records, it usually only involved the addition of a single track, but the differences between the US and UK Beatles and Stones albums, particularly in the early to mid 1960s is pretty evident. Often album tracks not available elsewhere would be bumped off of the album in favour of a single.

With "Radio, Radio", as recently as the 1994 Rykodisc of This Year's Model, it was clearly marked as being a bonus cut. Only with the Rhino reissue is it placed at the end of the album on Disc 1.

Clearly reissued albums with bonus cuts are a whole part of an album's revolution. No one is expecting Otis or other purists to stop the album before "Watching The Detectives" or "Radio, Radio." On the other hand, we often continue to listen as we hear alternate versions and studio outtakes. It's just the way it is.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

But, with "Watching The Detectives"... wasn't it recorded after the "My aim Is True" sessions, with the Attractions? Considering Nieve's great organ work, I'd say it was. (i'm pretty sure he touches on this in the MAIT liner notes)

It was not recorded in time to be on the UK release of "My Aim Is True".

I'm guessing this is reason enough for Otis to say it isn't apart of "My Aim Is True"... but I feel that, had it been recorded in time, it would have also been on the UK release.

Blue, big deal if it took a number of years for "Radio, Radio" to be put on TYM. Fact is, they fixed the mistake(as they did with WTD), and it is NOW a TYM track. There is nothing anybody can say to change that, I don't see where the argument is coming from. This purist B.S. can't hold up against what is the truth... want to know what the truth is? Go buy TYM, and that'll tell you.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

But if Radio, Radio was on the original US release, it's just as much a part of TYM as Watching the Detectives is a part of MAIT. I don't see why you're really differentiating there.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I don't think the Attractions were formed yet, for the recording of Watching The Detectives, though Steve contributed.

Neither (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea nor Sunday's Best were included on the US versions of TYM and AF respectively, because the record company thought they were "too english" -- what bollocks! With Sunday's Best it was more likely because of "Put them all in boots and khakis, blame it all upon the darkies".
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Yeah I read about that. That's not good at all.
Uncomplicated

TYM

Post by Uncomplicated »

At times my fav EC album!

Having bought it in the US, as bamboo said there was no "Chelsea" or "Sunday's Best"............so for me Radio, Radio was a TYM Track.

Hand in Hand is my favourite Elvis song of all time.

1. Hand In Hand
2. No Action
3. Living In Paradise
4. Lip Service
5. Lipstick Vogue

there is no least. :D
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks Blue and 'Boo for those useful replies.

If you're interested in the history of a recording artist, then their LPs as originally conceived by them are what matters.
wehitandrun wrote:You're not a purist, you're just looking for something to cry about.
Not at all, I'm too busy laughing at the things I found here:

http://www.purevolume.com/theflamesoftroy
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Aw, you listened, thanks.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I confess that I have also listened.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Jackson Monk on Sat May 01, 2004 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corruptio optimi pessima
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Hand in Hand
The Beat
Lipstick Vogue
Little Triggers
Living in Paradise
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Aww, thanks Jackson. :D
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

--lipstick vogue
--the beat
--hand in hand
--pump it up
--chelsea
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
werdna

Post by werdna »

(i dont want to go to) chelsea
this years girl
lipstick vogue
little triggers
no action
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm sorta new to this board, so I'm checking out older posts that I know most of you will have seen enough of by now, so sorry if this pops up on the first page because of my reply. I just had to submit my list, and comment on the Radio Radio/Watching The Detective dispute.

Here in Sweden Watching The Detectives was the last track on side one of This Years Model (after You Belong To Me), where it fit perfectly. It's not on MAIT over here. And Radio was on neither. Peace, Love & Understanding was last on Armed Forces, but they didn't cut out Sunday's Best. So up here, both This Years Model and Armed Forces were 13 track LPs.

They're great songs, obviously, and seeing as they were included in some territories (as well on the CDs), I tend to count them IN, even if the Artist's original vision is consequently blurred. It IS shitty that the record companies just slapped them onto the tail ends of the CDs, though, 'cause Waiting For The End Of The World, Night Rally (especially) and Two Little Hitlers are so obviously meant to be last songs. B.t.w., is the Oh Well bonus track placed last on When I Was Cruel? Hope not. Anyways, here's my late list:

1. No Action
2. Radio Radio
3. Lipstick Vogue
4. The Beat
5. This Year's Girl

weak: Living In Paradise
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I'm sorta new to this board, so I'm checking out older posts that I know most of you will have seen enough of by now, so sorry if this pops up on the first page because of my reply. I just had to submit my list, and comment on the Radio Radio/Watching The Detective dispute.

Here in Sweden Watching The Detectives was the last track on side one of This Years Model (after You Belong To Me), where it fit perfectly. It's not on MAIT over here. And Radio was on neither. Peace, Love & Understanding was last on Armed Forces, but they didn't cut out Sunday's Best. So up here, both This Years Model and Armed Forces were 13 track LPs.

They're great songs, obviously, and seeing as they were included in some territories (as well on the CDs), I tend to count them IN, even if the Artist's original vision is consequently blurred. It IS shitty that the record companies just slapped them onto the tail ends of the CDs, though, 'cause Waiting For The End Of The World, Night Rally (especially) and Two Little Hitlers are so obviously meant to be last songs. B.t.w., is the Oh Well bonus track placed last on When I Was Cruel? Hope not. Anyways, here's my late list:

1. No Action
2. Radio Radio
3. Lipstick Vogue
4. The Beat
5. This Year's Girl

weak: Living In Paradise

Could we do these with more albums, b&c?
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

no problem at all

btw,

welcome King Hoarse.