About our wonderful selves - answer a question and ask one

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Mr. Misery's desk doesn't count; it was already mentioned...
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

My current favorite are dining room chairs sold only by themselves. Glorious ebony wood rounded back that continues to the arms and is supported by a marvelous swirl that angles into the back legs. At nearly $700 a piece ad needing at least 6 it looks dim that they will ever be mine.

My actual favorite is a three mirrored antique vanity in dark wood with side elevations. It is simple in design but beautiful. It does not have the original bench but the mirrors are aging and have a lovely smoky feel which means it's strictly decorative. I always look better in those mirrors. . .

Do you think you deserve to be happy?
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

that´s a very deep question.....i don´t think of happiness as being a prolongued state of bliss and joy, we all know that it can´t last for ever......i think that in life you go trough happy moments as well as very sad moments.....the rest of the time is neither one or the other......

what (or who) do you fear the most?
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I guess I would have to say dying before my children are grown. I feel so much responsibility to make sure they become productive, happy people in life. I suppose everyone with children feels that way. I try not to think about it too much though.

What is the last cd you listened to?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

EC live at Bournemouth 8)

Otherwise The Best of Blur.

It is Mrs VG and my first wedding anniversary next week. Tradition dictates that the first anniversary is Paper. What shall I give her?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Pov

Post by Pov »

A subscription to a magazine that you think she'd enjoy.

What was your worst vacation, and why?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

have someone calligraphy your wedding vows and frame it or a gift certificate for a full day at the spa. or, if you are the unsappy type, a stock certificate or a large piece of foldin' money in a big ornate box will work. or, if it ain't going that well, a warning notice from an attorney :)

how do you feel about the general health of the board here on its one-year anniverasary?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

oops. well pick an answer, any answer. and pick a question, any question.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Pov wrote:What was your worst vacation, and why?
Last year around this time I went to Germany to visit a cousin who was stationed at a military base. It was a very lonely trip. Even if I was happy to see my cousin and her husband (who I'd not seen in a few years) - I very much felt like an outsider. On a U.S. military base during a war I disagreed with, with relatives I'm not all that close to, seeing bits of Germany that didn't really interest me all that much. And it was right after I'd left England (and Blue), so that was a bit of a downer.

oily slick wrote:how do you feel about the general health of the board here on its one-year anniverasary?
It's a fun place overall. A good way to spend time while bored at work. Of course there are a few troublemakers, and a few who apparently aren't too fond of one another, but that's life.

What's a good day at work like for you?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

What, do you mean mental health? We do seem do have had a run of posters crashing and burning lately. I'm sorry that some people have found it necessary to leave, but that's their choice, I guess. I think it is generally a friendly place, and peer pressure (and judicious moderation on the part of our fearless leaders) has been fairly successful in suppressing the stuff that was the demise of the Island board. Things have been a little slow in the Elvis department--after all, how many top 5 lists can you do? I thought the top 50 poll was interesting, though. However, things do pick up a bit when he's doing something new, so that will pick up soon again, I think. So, overall, I give it a B-.

Pov's question--what was your worst vacation and why?
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Oops again. Sorry. Redshoes' question.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Worst Vacation -

A bicycle trip to Amish country - sponsered by a national cycling orgization that we belonged to. On Friday and Saturday we did a couple of rides, getting horribly lost on the last one - a 45 mile ride turned into 75 - mostly hills. On Sunday we decided to skip the ride and drive out to Gettysburg (about a hour drive) and take in the battlefields and musuems. At about 5 pm on Sunday night we head back to Millersville (we were staying with a couple of hundred other cyclists at the dorms of Millersville University) - about 5 miles outside of Gettysburg my Honda loses all power and won't turn over. We have to knock on somebodies door to call the Sears Auto Club (like AAA). An hour later a tow truck comes and takes us to what looks more like a junkyard than a garage in the woods about halfway between York and Gettysburg - the towtruck guys (one of which has about 11 teeth too many) let us use their phone inside their trailer (complete with grubby wife and grubby children) to call the bicycle people - the lady refuses to have someone come and pick us up - we're only 45 minutes away - she just won't help us out at all. The tow truck guys take us out of the woods, back onto the main road to a roadside motel that doesn't accept credit cards, has no phones in the room - that sort of place....we convince them to take a check (we don't have much cash and the nearest atm is too far).....we walk to a gas station/convenience store we have a little cash and we purchase orange juice, cookies, tooth brushes and toothpaste. We go into the motel bar for a drink gulp them down and exit quickly as it becomes clear that only very bad things will happen to us hanging around in there...the next morning we finally get in touch with the guys who towed the car and are told that we broke the timing chain and that it will take a week to fix and that it'll run about a $1000. I don't believe them and I'm despondent. What do I do? My car is in the woods 10 miles away, our bikes, clothes and the rest of our gear is in Millersville - about 40 miles away.....We make the decision to tow the car home...simple right? not quite....we call U-Haul and Ryder and locate a Ryder truck capable of towing the car home - it's the biggest one they rent... we just need to get the car to Hanover - fortunately my girlfriend (the current Wife With A Problem) has an AAA card and we get the truck towed from the hills into Hanover (by an emaculate tow truck driver who meets us at the trailer in the hills - we get a ride there by going into the motel bar at noon and get a ride from one of the several old men already drinking at the bar)....He tows us into Hanover - where we sign all the paperwork for the truck (a cost of $600) and are informed that the nearest trailer to tow the car is back in Gettysburg....aagghhh.....so....we get in the truck, drive to Millersville to collect our bikes and stuff....drive out to a convenience store in Gettysburgh - pick up the trailer in the pouring rain....hitch it to the truck....drive back out to Hanover to put the car on the trailer...and finally, just after dark, start our trip back to Massachusetts. A very long drive on almost pure adrenaline (didn't sleep much at the roadside motel) - outrageous toll over the GW bridge at 3 am - god knows how many axels I had .......scraping coins out of the bottom of a purse to pay the toll out of NY state....we got home about 8 am - fucking jersey barriers all the way up 95 in CT...my nerves were shot....returned the truck locally the next day (had to pay extra for excess mileage) and brought the car into the shop.....diagnosis: broken timing chain - cost $900. sorry about the spelling mistakes and the typos.

What's the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

RedShoes wrote: What's a good day at work like for you?
Once every month they have a free in-store concert series. For June we get Graham Parker. Last month it was Los Lobos w/ special guests Bobby Womack, Loretta Lynn and Linda Thompson (who was drunk and punched my manager) We also have these weekly sales contests where the winning associate gets to take their least favorite customer and put them in a small box with a rabies-infested wolverine.

When someone says that they "don't like to play games" do they really mean that they are experts at playing games?
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Sorry BWAP! I guess we posted at the same time.
Boy With A Problem

all fucked up and out of order now.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My shit's fucked up
Has to happen to the best of us
-Zevon
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Boy With A Problem wrote: What's the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for you?
Send me two tickets to E.C. at the Wang Centre.

Do you have a 'regular' 'mixed' drink?
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

wehitandrun wrote: Do you have a 'regular' 'mixed' drink?
Not really...I go from rum and coke to jack and coke, to stoli vanilla and coke (sensing a theme?) to makers on the rocks (hah, got ya) to crown and sprite/ginger to seven and seven...wow, I might have a problem.

That's my question, do I have a problem? :o
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Pov

Post by Pov »

taz wrote:
wehitandrun wrote: Do you have a 'regular' 'mixed' drink?
Not really...I go from rum and coke to jack and coke, to stoli vanilla and coke (sensing a theme?) to makers on the rocks (hah, got ya) to crown and sprite/ginger to seven and seven...wow, I might have a problem.

That's my question, do I have a problem? :o
Only if you do it all in the same sitting.

What was the kinkiest sex you ever had?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

HA! I'd need to have all of Taz's drinks before I'd answer that one!
Boy With A Problem

Goody - did it involve Herb Alpert and fuzzy slippers?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

And flannel PJ's!! No secrets here! 8)
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Where's Cope when you need him... :?
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

prolly off shaggin
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I might answer that if I had an anonymous posting name. . . . . . . .