Your favourites movies. ( Top 5 )

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Sorry, this is the only way I can do this and not spend my entire night tossing and turning in agony.

1920's:
1. The General
2. The Crowd
3. Our Hospitality
4. The Gold Rush
5. Nosferatu

1930's:
1. Bringing Up Baby
2. Fury
3. It's A Gift
4. The Bride of Frankenstein
5. M

1940's:
1. The Lady Eve
2. Treasure of The Sierra Madre
3. Citizen Kane
4. The Bicycle Thief
5. Shadow of A Doubt

1950's:
1. The Night of The Hunter
2. Kiss Me Deadly
3. The Seventh Seal
4. The Sweet Smell of Success
5. Sunset Boulevard

1960's:
1. The Wild Bunch
2. Long Day's Journey Into Night
3. Lolita
4. Salesman
5. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

1970's:
1. The Godfather I-II
2. Jaws
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Taxi Driver
5. Annie Hall

1980's:
1. The Ninth Configuration
2. Secret Honor
3. Raising Arizona
4. Tootsie
5. Heartworn Highways (made in 1975 but not given a commercial release till 1981)

1990's:
1. Rushmore
2. Three Kings
3. Goodfellas
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Eve's Bayou

2000's: (so far)
1. The Lord of The Rings Trilogy
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
3. Ghost World
4. Memento
5. The Royal Tenenbaums

I haven't seen Birth of A Nation or Intolerance so there is no point in my putting up a 1910's list.
Last edited by El Vez on Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Probably just as well, I think we can all do without a debate on whether a celebration of the KKK is great art or not.

BWAP: I loved the scene where Hooch pierces the beer can and has a good old slurp!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Top 5 films that are so bad they're good..

Kindergarten Cop
Santa Claus the movie
Twins
Short Circuit
Mary Poppins
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I really hate using "trilogies" and "volume 1s and 2s" as ONE slot. It doesn't work that way. Different release dates - different films.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:I really hate using "trilogies" and "volume 1s and 2s" as ONE slot. It doesn't work that way. Different release dates - different films.
I agree with you in terms of films like The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II, but those are indeed different movies.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 were only released seperately so they could cash in. They are two halves of one film.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, Kill Bill Volume 1 and Volume 2 are also completely different. One is a full on action film, the other is actually story driven.

They may be different parts of the same story, but they're different films. Same with Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, and American Pie.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i'd argue LoTR could count as all one movie, 'cause it was shot all at the same time. unlike American Pie, or Star Wars.

here's my top of my head, i read everyone else's first, list:

IN NO ORDER:

Blue Velvet
LoTR (all of them? any of them? whatever)
Roman Holiday
Heathers
Pulp Fiction
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:Well, Kill Bill Volume 1 and Volume 2 are also completely different. One is a full on action film, the other is actually story driven.

They may be different parts of the same story, but they're different films. Same with Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, and American Pie.
Dude, Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 were filmed as a single movie and written as a single movie, originally intended to be released as a whole, but marketing reasons prevented Tarantino from having it happen that way.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

dr strangelove
local hero
fail-safe
raising arizona
i dream of jenna 2
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bobster

Post by bobster »

El Vez --

You really had me worried with that first list....
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

BlueChair wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:Well, Kill Bill Volume 1 and Volume 2 are also completely different. One is a full on action film, the other is actually story driven.

Dude, Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 were filmed as a single movie and written as a single movie, originally intended to be released as a whole, but marketing reasons prevented Tarantino from having it happen that way.

I am aware of this.

But, just because it started a certain way, doesnt mean that it didn't happen as it did.

Goodbye Cruel World started as a live/folk rock album, but it didn't end up that way, did it? (figured I'd use an elvis reference, given our battlegrounds).

Fact is, Marketing reasons prevented the film from being ONE film, and it is two films.

It isnt exactly quantum physics, Blue. One was released in October, the other in April.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

wehitandrun wrote:
Fact is, Marketing reasons prevented the film from being ONE film, and it is two films.

It isnt exactly quantum physics, Blue. One was released in October, the other in April.
Can we wait until this is released on DVD as the single film it was meant to be (Tarrantino has stated his intention to do so)?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Dr. Strangelove
The Royal Tenenbaums
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Big Lebowski
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Tim(e) wrote:
wehitandrun wrote:

Can we wait until this is released on DVD as the single film it was meant to be (Tarrantino has stated his intention to do so)?

Well, first, we'll just buy the two seperate dvds that're coming out first.

Kind of like what we'll have to do with Star Wars, being they're seperate films and all- they come out alone first.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Star Wars Episodes 1 through 3 are seperate films in a series.

Kill Bill Vol. I and II are one movie that was cut in half due to length and marketing reasons. It's being released as seperate DVD's for the same reason, and so that people who missed seeing Vol. I in theatres, can rent Vol. I and then see Vol. II in theatres.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Blue, they're two different movies. I really don't care why they are... yet you keep telling me why. I get it, marketing reasons... they're not one film.

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy was all filmed together... same movie? No.

"Deal with it. Rock and Roll."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Lord Of The Rings was written as three seperate books as part of a trilogy.

Even in early promotional materials and interviews, Kill Bill was just referred to as Kill Bill. There was no issue of Vol. I or Vol. II. The original tagline was even "In 2003, The Bride will Kill Bill." Obviously had they known it would end up as two movies they would have saved that tagline for the 2nd film. It was only in post-production that they decided to split it into two seperate releases.

So stop being a know it all, and deal with it :D
Uncomplicated

Top 5

Post by Uncomplicated »

.....adding another trilogy to the mix.

1. The Wizard of Oz
2. The Meaning of Life
3. Back to the Future Trilogy
4. Pulp Fiction
5. Grand Canyon
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
bobster

Post by bobster »

Personally, for the purposes of lists, I think it's really up to list maker.

I, for example, choose the consider the entire James Bond series one movie. Started out okay, got really good, got less good, got way less good, got okay, got less okay, got better, got worse, etc.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

BlueChair wrote:Lord Of The Rings was written as three seperate books as part of a trilogy.

Even in early promotional materials and interviews, Kill Bill was just referred to as Kill Bill. There was no issue of Vol. I or Vol. II. The original tagline was even "In 2003, The Bride will Kill Bill." Obviously had they known it would end up as two movies they would have saved that tagline for the 2nd film. It was only in post-production that they decided to split it into two seperate releases.

So stop being a know it all, and deal with it :D

Repeated talk about the 'early' everything is what gets me. I admit, it started out as one film... but it changed.

One Story, Two Films.