"Armed Forces" Revisited

Pretty self-explanatory
Bob And Charlotte

"Armed Forces" Revisited

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

'Oh I just don't know where to begin...'

'Accidents Will Happen' and 'Oliver's Army' are as good as a pop song can be; it just can´t get much better than this.

'Senior Service' and 'Goon Squad' may be a little bit weird and quite cynic, put when you least expect you´ll find yourself singin things like 'I wanna chop off your head and watch it roll into the basket' with the same facility as any early Beatles composition.
(And this might be the greatest thing about "Armed Forces": to mask polemic topics with pop melody - in the best meaning of that word).
The little waltz named 'Sunday's Best' stands tall with 'Green Shirt' as the highlights on a record that only has standout tracks.

The weakest song is 'Moods For Moderns' (a David Bowie kind of sound that i really can´t appreciate much).

Yet another five stars Costello record.

(And let´s not count the 'bonus' '(What´s so funny about) Peace, Love and Understanding?')
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I used to look at Sunday's Best and Moods For Moderns as the weakest songs.

Naturally , they've both been favorite since then.
Bob And Charlotte

'Sunday's Best' kinds of reminds me of Blur and Kinks. which i really like it.
Watching_Detectives

Post by Watching_Detectives »

I adore Su
ndays Best.
It nearly took a mircacle to get you to stay
It only took my little finger to blow you away.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Since I have acquired the EC catalog is order of release (through KOA), then had to backfill later) I thought that Armed Forces would be the album that would catapult EC and the Attractions into the mainstream.

Thankfully, it did not.

As much as I loved it, it never lived up to the stunning achievement of its immediate predecessor, TYM, and while I did not know it at the time, it would eventually pale in comparison to Get Happy.

A great record sandwich between stranded-on-a-desert-island-must-have albums.

I hardly seems fair that the great majority of rock/pop artist will never achieve the balance, fun, and sheer artistry of Armed Forces, and it is not considered by most to be in the top 5 of the greatest lp efforts of his highness.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

AF has always struck as being EC's most aged album, very much of it's time. This is due to its exteme pop production albums, nevermind it's containing, in these parts, his biggest hit singles. Great songs all the same, the live versions from around the time have aged better.
absolutnut

Post by absolutnut »

martinfoyle wrote:AF has always struck as being EC's most aged album, very much of it's time. This is due to its exteme pop production albums, nevermind it's containing, in these parts, his biggest hit singles. Great songs all the same, the live versions from around the time have aged better.
wow, even before punch the clock or goodbye cruel world? :P
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

I disagree with everything I've read.

"Armed Forces" is a masterpiece. It does have a dated feel maybe in comparison to This Year's Model... but I wouldn't say "Get Happy!!" is better. Ehhhh, I can't choose between the two.

"Armed Forces" is priceless.
Bob And Charlotte

Get Happy is a nice record. But imho, Armed Forces is ten times better and i really don´t think that it sounds dated...
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I liked Armed Forces alright, but if this is a debate between it and Get Happy!! I'd have to go with Get Happy!!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Armed Forces is a great album, no doubt. But I think it's quite clear from listening to it that Elvis was getting a bit bored with the angry young man persona he had cultivated.

It's a little tired, and a little contrived.

Kind of like tipping back your pint of beer and finding it warm, flat and almost empty....

Time to switch to Scotch.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Blasphemy!

Maybe now it has that sort of 'mood', because I've listened the utter asshole out of it. As songs, I feel they are much better than those on Get Happy!!. The Get Happy!! songs are so understructured, in an underachieving sort of way(which I guess is what makes it so great to some people- the whole "potential" of the album).

I just think the 'Armed Forces' tracks have more layers to them, and that's what makes me love the album.
Bob And Charlotte

wehitandrun: youre totally right!
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Well, I think that AF is a good record and it was the first EC record that I bought and so it has a special place for me.

However, I was 13 when I bought it and i think that it is the most commercial of his records and that is why it appealed so much to me then. This is probably why WHAR likes it so much.

After all these years, there is no doubt in my mind that Get Happy is hugely superior as a record. I say this as someone who also thinks that (the earlier) TYM is also a better album and i bought that in 1981.
corruptio optimi pessima
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Sorry douche, that's not why I like it so much.

Spike was by far a more commercial record than Armed Forces.

Go suck on a lemon.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

....did you seriously just call Jackson a <i>douche</i>?!

That really doesn't help your argument much.

:roll:
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Well, I wasn't looking to help my argument at all. I was hoping to call him a douche. I think calling him a douche helped that very much.

I've noticed that you've been right along with him, laughing at his jokes about me. So please, just don't talk to me. The rolling your eyes thing is cute though. :wink:

What is it that I'm arguing, anyway? That I don't like Armed Forces because it's commercial? Eh, I don't have to argue that.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

wehitandrun wrote:Well, I wasn't looking to help my argument at all. I was hoping to call him a douche. I think calling him a douche helped that very much.

I've noticed that you've been right along with him, laughing at his jokes about me. So please, just don't talk to me. The rolling your eyes thing is cute though. :wink:

What is it that I'm arguing, anyway? That I don't like Armed Forces because it's commercial? Eh, I don't have to argue that.
If you don't think arguing it would do any good, why resort to name calling? When someone accuses you of being childish (as I think Jackson was doing when he said he liked it when he was 13 for reasons he believes you like it now), and you proceed to call someone a douche.....well, good job, you've proved his point rather well.

And yeah, I laughed at his jokes. I'm apologize if that insulted or upset you, but this is a public forum....so deal with it :)

And as for the eye rolling - this is my personal favourite: :shock:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

wehitandrun wrote:Sorry douche, that's not why I like it so much.

Spike was by far a more commercial record than Armed Forces.

Go suck on a lemon.
We don't talk to people like that on this board, wehitandrun.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Sorry Blue, I won't do it again. I just don't like "clever, hidden cheap shots" - those shouldn't be allowed either.

RedShoes, I'm not trying to win anything. I wanted to let him know he was a douche... lets not read into the psycological depth of the situation.
John

Post by John »

Armed Forces is now and has always been one of my least favourite albums. Not sure why. Quite happy to listen to individual tracks on compilations etc but from MAIT through to PTC probably the one I'm least likely to put on the CD player.
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.