hey footy people!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Poppet

hey footy people!

Post by Poppet »

beckham's going to real madrid! i don't pay real attention to footy (soccer, football, etc.) but whatcha' think?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

That's the spirit Poppet!

Uh-oh, I'd stay away from Otis for the next couple of days. I, personally, thank the lord. No more Posh! Knowing my luck there'll probably be even more paparazzi pics of him 'n' her shopping in only the finest boutiques Madrid has to offer. Bleh.

Otis, he's been sold for 25 million *only*. Guess he isn't that good after all.... :wink:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I believe that it was 25 million euros, about the same as Arse got for Anelka five years ago! Beckham seems to have been sold down the river by Ferguson and/or the giant that is the utd plc board. I think it is a good deal for Utd however, Beckham does not seem to put in the performances week in week out anymore, he just saves himself for the big occasions. You used to see him running up and down the pitch in every game but now he seems to stroll about the pitch as if he owns it (which he probably could do), and drifts out the run of the mill games.

Looks like Kewell might be coming our way, great player but not sure if he has the team attitude to fit in.

Looks as the Tottenhams bid for Beckham may be too late :lol: , but they may get Kanoute. He certainly knows how to contribute to a team doomed to relegation, so he might come in handy.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

The most overrated footballer on Earth. Just glad the whole saga is over.

Betcha United win the PL next season at a canter. They'll be asking, "David who?" by Christmas.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
girl out of time

david who?

Post by girl out of time »

david WHO?!!!!!!!!!!!! who needs beckham when figo is in your team?
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Oh my gawd - why oh why must we lose our best players to foreign teams??? And why oh bloody why cant spurs get their f*****g act together! Looks like we will be losing Stevie Carr now - hes had enough of playing for a second rate team. When are we actually going to buy a player of some worth instead of just talking about it - preferably one that is not about to start drawing his old aged pension!!! :x
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Odd reaction, Gilly. Who has gone abroad since Steve MacManaman? Hardly a persistent issue. I'm happy to see him go, he couldn't have stayed on at United after all that. I've loved him as a United player (and of course as England captain, a role I doubted him for but which he has excelled himself at). It's true he saves himself, especially for the England games, where he is often inspriational. He's far from an all-rounder, and unless Figo is moving on (we'll have him!), will be able to save himself to his heart's content. I must say it will be getting out of hand if Ronaldinho goes to Real - I think he should be ours. Relief to have it over, and good news for the Real Globetrotters Asian markeing campaign.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Not an odd reation really Otis - I think the trend has started. How can our clubs compete with the kind of money they can offer - I read Becks will be earning £85 grand a week....add that the the lifestyle and the weather and all our key players will be jumping on the bandwagon. With the mass of foreign players we are importing (chelseas first team are nearly all imports) and soon we wont have any English players in the league.

Sorry if I sound like im a national front yob - I am not prejudiced in any way against any colour or creed but it is worrying - we are talking about English football here - its sacred stuff!! :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Gilli, It's more like £120 grand a week he'll be getting.
Otis Westinghouse wrote:He's far from an all-rounder, and unless Figo is moving on (we'll have him!)
I'll have him!!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Gilli, don't worry Real Madrid are probably the only foreign club that can out muscle our biggest clubs. I'd much rather rather be watching Henry, Van Nist, Pires, Zola, Bergkamp etc. than Becks and Mcmanaman any day.
Otis Westinghouse

And if our league is so stuffed with foreigners, isn't it only fair that some of ours should go the opposite way (although there are no major Spanish or Italian players of course, it's an unwritten law that they think their leagues are the best and won't travel).

It was £25m, not euros. But there's some bollocks about it only being £7m this year.

It's very good news for La Liga too, of course, big time increases in their selling price.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gilli:

One minor point. While Chelsea may have been one of the first PL clubs to add foreign players in a big way, several of the starting 11 (Terry, Le Saux and Lampard for example) are or have been England internationals. One could make the argument that a number of PL clubs are now less "English" than Chelsea -- Arsenal and Liverpool to name two.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:I'll have him!!

At £120 grand a week you cant afford him woman!!

WHO SHOT SAM: See.....we are not only begining to lose our key players abroad now, but also not bringing on talent in this country by importing foreign players in excess - I rest my case!

Maybe some sort of scheme should be introduced whereby there are restrictions on buying in players - not just from abroad. This would result in more focus on bringing on talent from youngsters coming up in the ranks. It would make it much fairer for the less rich clubs too.

Post by stormwarning »

Gilli - that system used to be in place and the rule was that you couldn't field more than four foreigners" at any one time. In the English league, these "Foreigners" included the Scots, The Irish and the Welsh. I can't imagine SKy TV pumping so much money into the game if this rule was brought back.
Where's North from 'ere?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Gilli - I believe that having so much foreign talent over here helps develop our young players and also ensures that only the cream rises to the top, instead of all the crud.

Otis - What I have since read on the transfer fee was this: £7.5m immediately; a further £12m spread over three years; up to a further £7m depending on how Real do in the Champions League. This last point seems rather dodgy to me as what if you meet in the quarter finals again, will it mean that you could be better off (financially) by losing? mmm.

The fixtures have just been announced for next season, Arse start off at home to Everton, ManU at home to Bolton, Liverpool at home to Chelsea (nice), Tottenham away at fellow strugglers Birmingham, and Leeds at home to NewCastle.
Otis Westinghouse

Isn't there something just so exciting about the fixtures when they get announced? I've got up till Christmas in my diary.

I love the 13th (am a 13th baby, and left-handed - as are two of my colleagues, freaky huh? - hence my satanic element), and so was eleated to see Dec 13 and Mar 13 for the two Manc derbies. Looking forward to lobbing a few over the ageing head of David Seaman (we really should sign Ronaldinho just for that pleasure!!!). Does Kev not believe in having goalies younger than 38? Our biggest embarrassment last season was only getrting 1 pt. against the irrelevant Manchester team. Amends to be made.

SL: well if that does happen (Beckham putting in awesome free kicks against us, etc.), that will be some compensation. Crap deal though - they should just be getting it all now.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yeeeehaaaa!

We're flush with Russian mob money!
Otis Westinghouse

Bizarre story! First Ken bates, now the Russkies. Some 36 year old billionaire who owns half of Russia. Out with Ranieri and in with Vlad the Impaler.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I know nothing about the guy apart from an article from Time magazine, but it's hard to see how this can be anything but good for the club. Clears all our debt in one swoop, more money for new players. Should be an interesting couple of weeks ahead.
Otis Westinghouse

Time were prettyy quick - the story only broke today! He owns half or so of the Russian oilfields, a load of aluminium manufacturers, and part of a Moscow TV station, so the Russians will be treated to hours of Chelsea footage. He's only 36, and a mate of Putin's. Will he now go shopping for star names? The fans interviewed on the news were inevitably upset.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What do the fans have to be upset about?

Will be refreshing to see hacks write about something other than our crushing debt. I'm sure they'll find some new angle that puts us in a bad light.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

The hacks will have a field day. I haven't seen the Brit tabloids yet, but I'm sure they're working on their Chechnya, Chekov, Chernobyl and Chess Champions alliterations for the next season.

And I can just imagine the first Liverpool match - something about the The Defence of Stamford-grad being breached by Dodgy-'eskey, etc. etc.

Insert your own Russian joke here, but when John Terry's next drink offence ends up on the front pages with the headline "Crime & Punishment", remember that you read it here first.
Where's North from 'ere?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Zola's done a runner. Don't be surprised he gets an ice pick! :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

stormwarning wrote:Insert your own Russian joke here, but when John Terry's next drink offence ends up on the front pages with the headline "Crime & Punishment", remember that you read it here first.
Love it. I'll have to remember that one. Terry has just re-signed. What a bizarre week. All going along quietly, then bang.

Will miss Zola, but probably best for all concerned that he move on.
Last edited by Who Shot Sam? on Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

stormwarning wrote:Dodgy-'eskey
That's brilliantly funny!

Those bastards in the Irish Independent sports section ran 'Real 3 Man Utd 0' as a headline today. Beckham, Queiroz and Ronaldinho! We're only at the rumours stage on the latter, but if anyone's going to cough up £31m for him, it will be the increasingly absurd Real.