how we are sabotaging ourselves today?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

how are we sabotaging ourselves today?

with the drink
20%
with the food
25%
having sex with people we shouldn't
10%
not having sex with people we should
20%
playing on the ec message board when we should be reading Rabelais' "Gargantua" and Montaigne's "Essais"
25%

Total votes: 20

miss buenos aires

how we are sabotaging ourselves today?

Post by miss buenos aires »

Basically, if I'm not done with the Renaissance by Saturday, I'm going to throw myself off my terrace.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

So I can only choose one? Guess it would have to be the drink first, which causes the sex with people you shouldn't have it with...but that's half the fun
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I don't have to read Rabelais, but I should be working very very hard, writing checks and posting tax deposits and working on the quarterly taxes and mailing the freaking payroll...

but here I am. I'd like to be reading Rabelais--he's pretty funny if I remember right. Don't jump off the terrace, Miss B A. Your dog ate your homework! (I actually used that excuse once).
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

No, I'm sorry, but Rabelais sucks. I know it's supposed to be so incredible that he mixes humanist thought with scatological humor, but do we really need a whole chapter of Gargantua telling his father about all the different things he wiped his ass with? It's making me anticipate reviewing Voltaire (now, there's a guy who could mix up his philosophy with his toilet humor) that much more. At this rate, I won't get to him before August.

Eight stories...would that hurt much?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Miss BA - it seems that you are due a wonderful evening that involves a nice dinner, good wine, great sex with a fabulous man, and then you can come back to the board and tell us all about it. :D

Ooops. That uses all the things you mentioned above. :o
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I love the choices. Would like to vote for #4, but I can't really call that sabotage. In my case, am blowing off work to be here, because I'm pissed at my boss and feel he owes me the time.

Signed,

Keeping-her-sabots-to-herself Mug
A rope leash

You owe me!

Post by A rope leash »

Well, it's the message board that I am once again using to sabotage myself. This is not only because I hate my boss, but also because I hate the company that owns my company.

Yesterday, we laid off ANOTHER 65 people. I survived this one, so that is a total of FOUR visits by the axe man where I've come out of alive. Chalk it up to my good looks and charm, my articulate ego, and my ability to travel long distances in a professional effort to secure new business. But, then again, they laid off people that have been working here since the Paleozoic.

If the knew I was jack-wadding on an Elvis Costello message board all morning, they'd shit. If they knew what I was saying, they'd shit. If they had a clue about how my working for them has destroyed my home life, they'd laugh, and ask me what the Hell any of that has to do with getting the shareholders a fair return...

Well, fuck the shareholders. It's an investment, there are no gaurantees. So what if our stock went from 187 dollars to 87 cents in the Fall of 2000? We've got a jillion happy customers, and while we might get bought out, we can never just shut these folks down and go out of business. We are profitable! It's the company that owns us sucking us dry of every penny we make. Why can't we stand alone?

Unless one of my buddies needs help, I'm not doing a goddamn thing today but mowing my grass. Next week, it's off to again to Arkansas...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Miss B A, maybe he's just funnier in english. I did have to say a very Rabelaisian picture came into my mind when Jackson Doofster wrote about laying slabs in the garden. I envy you the Voltaire--wish I could read it en francais. PBS got me hooked on him when I was in high school.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

The thing is.....I'm addicted to using the phrase "Rabelaisian" to describe my mundane lifestyle.

Oh, and I'm sabotaging myself this morning by fucking around on the internet rather than shopping at Kroger's for windex, paper towels and toilet paper like my punk ass is supposed to be.
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

Rabelais' "Gargantua" and Montaigne's "Essais" doesn't sound so bad when compared to having to prepare a contract for a client and send it to my boss for his aproval, or design a claims adjustor's database, or giving specifications to a programmer... all of which I should be doing, but clearly not.
que no panda el cunico
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

if you can tell me which people i should be having sex with, i could vote for that one.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Soon, you'll be reading Candide and feeling much beter. See, nothing to fear in this best of all possible worlds.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Poppet wrote:if you can tell me which people i should be having sex with, i could vote for that one.
Well, if you don't mind nude-sleepwalking.... :wink: :mrgreen:
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

pffffffft :P

you're too embarrassing. off a balcony? ewwww.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Three people with drinks in their hands... what is this? Don't you people work? :D
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Lots of students of Rabelais out there. I was the only person to vote in my category...
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I'm voting for food. I wore a shirt (instead of scrubs) to my new job, and it don't fit. Arse. Scrubs are reassuringly baggy.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay, I didn't have time to post earlier, voted for the "Drink" thing, but actually, am having mixed emotions about the other choices...

with the drink: Not quite yet, about 45 minutes from now...then, Look Out!!

with the food: nah, if I drink enough, I'm not very hungry

having sex with people we shouldn't: ***sigh***, not in a very, very long time

not having sex with people we should: Another ***sigh***...hubby's out of town until Friday.

playing on the ec message board when we should be reading Rabelais' "Gargantua" and Montaigne's "Essais": Okay, know nothing about the writer's mentioned, just call me illeterate!

That beer is REALLY starting to sound GOOD...

:idea:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

No beer, just rum and diet coke here. :)

Cheers, by the way, sulky! 8)
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

the winner is food. I made a chicken stir fry, heavy on the curry paste, over basmati rice and then I ate way too much of it.

I've had one vodka tonic.

No sex since Sunday - and that was with the wife (I would think she falls squarely in the "should" catagory).

I ain't gonna read no books in French. It would be pointless.
miss buenos aires

El Vez wrote:The thing is.....I'm addicted to using the phrase "Rabelaisian" to describe my mundane lifestyle.
I'm not sure I understand why you do that, since all of his characters seem to be philosophizing giants whose kingdoms are under attack. Unless you spend five pages wiping your ass with various animals to see which one works best.

Noise: I can't wait for Candide. I feel like I won't get there for another two hundred years...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I prefer the term "medicating" to sabotage.
A rope leash

Now, we work the garden...

Post by A rope leash »

Candide is all of Voltaire I've ever read, and it is quite enjoyable. It's also a surprisingly easy read. Let's all read it together...
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm in. 8)
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

A real connundrum this one.......

I am indeed always playing on the message board, but usually this is at the expense of earning the money that pays for me to buy the drink.... that renders me unable to have sex with the person I should......... that leads me to comfort eat....that leads me to get too full to have sex with the women I shouldn't...

I'll skip the Rabelais than...never have liked Sweet French Wine...... :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."