Top 5 Tom Waits Albums

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I went out and picked up Heartattack and Vine and Blue Valentine today.

Otis, I like Blood Money but I agree with you that it doesn't come close to his earlier material, or even Mule Variations.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

1. Rain Dogs
2. Swordfishtrombones
3. Blue Valentines
4. Foreign Affairs
5. One from The Heart

fave track has to be this one from swordfishtrombones

Well with buck shot eyes and a purple heart
I rolled down the national stroll
and with a big fat paycheck
strapped to my hip sack
and a shore leave wristwatch underneath
my sleeve
in a Hong Kong drizzle on Cuban heels
I rowed down the gutter to the Blood Bank
and I'd left all my papers on the Ticonderoga
and was in a bad need of a shave
and so I slopped at the corner on cold chow mein
and shot billards with a midget
until the rain stopped
and I bought a long sleeved shirt
with horses on the front
and some gum and a lighter and a knife
and a new deck of cards (with girls on the back)
and I sat down and wrote a letter to my wife

and I said Baby, I'm so far away from home
and I miss my Baby so
I can't make it by myself
I love you so

Well I was pacing myself
trying to make it all last
squeezing all the life
out of a lousy two day pass
and I had a cold one at the Dragon
with some Filipino floor show
and talked baseball with a lieutenant
over a Singapore sling
and I wondered how the same moon outside
over this Chinatown fair
could look down on Illinois
and find you there
and you know I love you Baby

and I'm so far away from home
and I miss my Baby so
I can't make it by myself
I love you so

Shore Leave...
Shore Leave...
Where's North from 'ere?
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

1. bone machine
2. rain dogs
3. alice
4. swordfishtrombones
5. mule variations

fav tom waits song is actually not on any of these albums it's on the smoke soundtrack-you're innocent when you dream-i really think it manages to embody what tom waits is all about...

i'm starting to think that with his ugly casanova project isaac brock will wind up being the next tom waits.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Just Moments ago I purchased "Rain Dogs" based upon the preponderance of evidence compiled from this thread.

Thanks for the lead.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Congratulations on your fine purchases.
BlueChair wrote:Yeah... Tom Waits really has some beautiful album covers.
That's what I miss with CDs. The Small Change and Nighthawks At The Diner covers, for example, look great with all the tell tale detail, and colours, blown up. Reduced to CD-size, they look like vomit.

Favourite Waits album covers:

1. Closing Time
2. Frank's Wild Years
3. Foreign Affair
4. Mule Variations
5. Blue Valentines
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Now that I have had a chance to hear Rain Dogs multiple times I cannot believe that I have been missing out on this guy for all these years. This is a brilliant record. I can't wait to pick up the next one...just don't know which to choose. I am amazed at the diversity of opinion from the Tom Waits fan-base on this board on which records are the must haves and which are not.

Decisions. Decisions.

The parallels with the Costello catalog are striking, in the sense that the distribution isn't Gaussian around a single landmark record or era. It is more like a square wave...with even distribution across the spectrum.

Someone make a pick for me. Help me choose. I have the live Nighthawks vinyl that I rarely listen to, especially because when I purchased it in the late 70's I didn't much care for it and it remains hermetically sealed and in storage in Dayton, OH because my sou cal hovel is too small to accomodate my large vinyl record collection.

So if you love Rain Dogs, what would you add next.

Hep may sumbudy...Hep May!
Last edited by Mr. Average on Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

Mr. A, I would recommend Swordfishtrombones, followed by Bone Machine (little heavier and much more into 'odd' noises). But I'm sure the more learned Waits fans have differing opinions.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Thank you. I was leaning to SwordFishTrombones. I think I will go with it unless anyone else wants to chime in.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Mr. A, welcome to the wonderful world of Tom Waits. Warning: once you enter, there is no going back.

I agree with the getting Swordfishtrombones next followed by Frank's Wild Years. They were meant to be a loose trilogy in the first place I believe.
King of Confidence

Post by King of Confidence »

I only have Rain Dogs, Blood Money and Mule Variations. The last would be a good pick up.

Chocolate Jesus:

When the weather gets rough
and it's whiskey in the shade
Best to wrap your savior up
in cellophane
He flows like a big muddy
but that's okay
Pour him over ice cream
For a nice parfait

Yum yum. Hilarious song.
Bob And Charlotte

Post by Bob And Charlotte »

i only have three... so:

01. Blood Money
02. Swordfishtrombones
03. Rain Dogs
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

1. Bone Machine
2. Mule Variations
3. Rain Dogs
4. Blood Money
5. The Black Rider
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No votes for Big Time, only a mention of the video (which clearly contains stuff not on the LP). I've been checking it out this week, and think it's pretty good. Lots of songs I don't know on it, are these all from the earlier LPs, or are some of them ones composed for Big Time? Is it out on DVD? Will have to look for it. Great version of Time on it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I might have voted for the Big Time CD, if I had it! It's the only one I'm missing.

The Big Time video is apparently out of print (according to some viewer reviews, and it's "out of stock" on amazon), and is also not available on DVD.

I'd always foolishly assumed the CD was composed of the same performances as on the video, which I now doubt looking at the tracklist and its order. The CD also has songs not on the video. Plus, the performances on the CD were from European gigs I just read, don't know about the video (I'd be surprised if it was made there, and can't confirm since mine's a copy and I ran out of tape during the end credits... must borrow it again).

The songs you hadn't heard on it are from Frank's Wild Years, with the rest being from Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs except for Strange Weather (Waits/Brennan) which was otherwise previously unavailable. The CD also has that song, as well as another extra, Falling Down. Damn, I've got to get it.

Just had another look at the video... needless to say, it's a treasure. I forgot how funny the short bits of monologue and skitish bits of acting were, interspersed all over, same with how good the performances. And yes 9th And Hennepin and Frank's Wild Years (improvises a lot: "Gasoline, furniture... it happens. I don't know... maybe a match was involved..... it's physics, alright!? Whaddaya want me to say?") are on it as I thought.

Here's a breakdown of what's from where:

BIG TIME (1990, video):

Frank's Wild Years (Swordfishtrombones)
Shore Leave (SFT)
Way Down In The Hole (Frank's Wild Years)
Hand On St. Christopher (Rain Dogs)
Telephone Call From Instanbull (FWY)
Cold Cold Ground (FWY... this song did very well on the tower of song I recall)
Straight To The Top (FWY)
Strange Weather (Big Time CD, could be a different performance)
Gun Street Girl (RD)
9th And Hennepin (RD)
Clap Hands (RD)
Time (RD)
Rain Dogs (RD)
Train Song (FWY, very poignant)
16 Shell From A Thirty-Ought Six (SFT, a highlight performance)
I'll Take New York (FWY)
More Than Rain (FWY)
Johnsburgh, Illinois (SFT)
Innocent When You Dream (FWY)
Big Black Mariah (RD)

BIG TIME (1988, live CD). Also includes some extras* not included on the original 2-record LP.

16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought Six
Red Shoes (Blue Valentines)
Underground* (SFT)
Cold Cold Ground
Straight to the Top*
Yesterday Is Here (FWY)
Way Down In The Hole*
Falling Down (only studio track on album, previously unreleased song)
Strange Weather (previously unreleased song)
Big Black Mariah
Rain Dogs
Train Song
Johnsburg, Illinois*
Ruby's Arms* (Heartattack And Vine)
Telephone Call From Istanbul
Clap Hands*
Gun Street Girl
Time
Otis Westinghouse

Thank you enormously, Mr Needle. That's a lot of work and very useful for me (as I was wanting to do something like this, but probably wouldn't have got there...). Clearly I have to get Frank's Wild Years, very good stuff on that (e.g. Cold, Cold Ground). Interesting and impressive how there is a fair degree of non-overlap.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It wasn't a lot of work, and thanks for piquing my interest in the BIG TIME Cd as well as in the video again. I do think the FWY songs on it would be enjoyed most if one's familiar with their album versions... hard to catch the lyrics sometimes.
Otis Westinghouse

Just revisiting this thread, kind of with a sense that I need to eventually get my hands on the entire Waits oeuvre. Is there a weak LP among them? It seems not. Can't wait for the new one. I've been getting into Bone Machine recently, that does have some fabulous stuff on it. A friend RAVES about Heart of Saturday Night, reckons it's one of the best LPs ever and lyrically unbeatable. It was only picked by Pophead and Girl Out of Time, Time, Time. There does seem to be a leaning towards the post-Swordfishtombones era in general. Anyone got anything to say about this LP?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Otis:

I've got the Waits oeuvre (sp?) and I will say that Heart Of Saturday Night is not high on my list. It has its moments, but for me it's a shaky step between Closing Time (very nice) and Small Change (very good).

For the record, my other favorite Waits albums are Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs and Mule Variations. Those five are the ones I go back to the most. Mule especially does a great job of touching styles from all over his career, from the carnival music to the heartbreakers.

But I've found that if you like some Waits, you'll eventually want to own them all. If vinyl is an option, see if you can pick up the '70s albums on the cheap.
Otis Westinghouse

I'll get them one by one at Fopp for a £5 a go, I hope (great shop for cheap back catalogue stuff). Interesting, what you say. It could be that the geezer in question doesn't know that many of Tom Waits' LPs, and so is jusst impressed rather than comparing it to other ones, but he was truly impressed, especially by the words. I have everything from SFT on, I think, except Alice. I love Mule Variations too, really enjoyed it in the car on a countryside drive in the rain recently. Is it a bit contrived the way many of his LPs attempt to cover a large range as you describe (blues stomps, heartbreakers, mad carnival, etc.) or is that just the genius of Tom?

When did he last play live?
Otis Westinghouse

Anyone seen trailers for a new film, Evilboy? I think that's Tom in the lead role!!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

He's in a film with Steve 'Alan Partridge' Coogan (also Iggy Pop, Alf Molina, Steve Buscemi, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, etc.) as well soon...called Coffee and Cigarettes!
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'll get them one by one at Fopp for a £5 a go, I hope (great shop for cheap back catalogue stuff). Interesting, what you say. It could be that the geezer in question doesn't know that many of Tom Waits' LPs, and so is jusst impressed rather than comparing it to other ones, but he was truly impressed, especially by the words. I have everything from SFT on, I think, except Alice. I love Mule Variations too, really enjoyed it in the car on a countryside drive in the rain recently. Is it a bit contrived the way many of his LPs attempt to cover a large range as you describe (blues stomps, heartbreakers, mad carnival, etc.) or is that just the genius of Tom?

When did he last play live?
I think with Waits, just as with Elvis, different people come to him through different doors. And eventually they want to get everything he's done, so everybody wins.

I'd say the 70s albums are closer to having one style and sticking with it within an album. It was until Swordfish that he started really mixing things up.

I don't know when he played his last show, but he last toured the US in 1999, and I got to see him at the Beacon Theater in New York. Elvis and Cait were there, and I embarrassed my friend by shouting "Hey Elvis!" as they walked up the aisle.

"Did you ever think maybe he didn't want to be recognized?" my friend asked.

"Then why the hell is he wearing that stupid hat from the cover of Painted From Memory?" I responded.

Then I shouted "Streams of Whiskey!" for Cait, as it was the first Pogues song I could think of. She smiled and waved.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The Heart Of Saturday Night doesn't sound very different at all from Closing Time. Get it... ask questions later.

Any fan of these albums might enjoy Tom Waits: The Early Years Vol 1 and 2 (2 separate CDs), which I found cheap: http://www.manifesto.com/waits.html They have simple demos of most of the songs on Closing time and a few from THOSN, together. Plus several otherwise unreleased ones. It's interesting to hear different degrees of tentativeness as the the songs have just come to him and his piano or guitar.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

The few Tom Waits songs I've heard feature the rhaspiest voice I've ever heard. Should this scare me off?

With Squeeze, Tilbrook's voice threw me off originally, as I thought his vocal style was "dated"- but I just didn't know better.

What Tom Waits labum is his "Argybargy"?
Otis Westinghouse

wardo68 wrote:She smiled and waved.
But did Elv acknowledge you?

WHAR: I don't know Argybargy, but I'm a bore for always recommending Rain Dogs. Get that and then see if you wanna go for more of the recent and generally weirder stuff, or the more consistent in style earlier stuff.