King Of America and Blood & Chocolate: The 1986 Albums

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Paul B wrote:I did see the Clash a few times in their prime though - least I've got that to be thankful for! Should count my blessings really...
:mrgreen:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

verbal gymnastics wrote:. . .The other highlight was the last show when Elvis, Nick Lowe and Pete did a live mini-set.
Not only a highlight, but infinitely preferable to any alternative form of mini-set.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
John

Post by John »

I've always loved King Of America and found Blood And Chocolate disappointing.
King Of America was wonderful throughout.
Maybe it's just me but I have never really enjoyed side 1 of Blood and Chocolate. Uncomplicated is a noise with litte tune to my ears, Tokyo Storm Warning must be his worst single release and I've never enjoyed listening to I Want You.
King Of America 10 Blood And Chocolate 2.
It was as much of the alphabet as I knew how to use.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

John wrote:Uncomplicated is a noise with litte tune to my ears, Tokyo Storm Warning must be his worst single release and I've never enjoyed listening to I Want You.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!

<3,
s.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Like John, I recall feeling disappointed by B&C and I have never shared the view that it is a masterpiece. I don't put it on that often and I agree that side 2 is better than side 1. I've said it before and I'll say it again - TOKYO STORM WARNING IS TOO LONG!!! (Elvis needs a decent editor sometimes....'Its Time', 'Alibi' and 'I Want You' being further good cases in point)

Whilst I wouldn't go as far as to call Uncomplicated 'noise', I have to say that it simply pales in comparison to the mighty songs on say, TYM, IB or GH.

Just my opinion mind.. :D
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

You people have horrible opinions.

<3,
s.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

...and "Honey are you Straight.." stinks as well...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Haha, yeah, okay, you win on that one.

Regardless, "Battered Old Bird", "Crimes Of Paris", "I Hope You're Happy Now", "Blue Chair", "Poor Napoleon", and "TOKYO STORM WARNING"(whose vocal track was recorded in one take) are all brilliant. Every song on B&C is brilliant(minus "Honey Are You..." and "Next Time Around").

K.O.A? It has some good songs, sure. But I'd gladly leave some of them back at the flat.

<3,
s.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

There are songs on KOA that I don't like as much as others, but you almost have to listen to that particular album as a whole. It's not really thematic or anything, it just sort of spans many musical genres, as well as EC's moods, and is an album that can be appreciated after time has passed and more than a few listens.

You at least have to respect the fact that he has the talent to create so many differnt types of songs in one collection.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Ofcourse, I never said I didn't like King Of America, it's just that there's a little too much fuss about it. And I gotta defend B&C, which I believe is a superior Album.

"rock = bad"

<3,
s.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

i LOVE "It's Time". something about the sound grabs me every single time i hear it.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh, I like B&C as well, especially I Want You. Never get tired of it. :)

wehitandrun: Keep looking for that girl who loves B&C as much as you do! :)
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

Every song on B&C is brilliant(minus "Honey Are You..." and "Next Time Around").

I have always felt that Next Time Around was one of the stronger songs on B&C...
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

Hah, awww, I will.

B&C has been my recent obsession, it sadly isn't in my top five yet.

But, a girl who loves B&C just seems perfect.

<3,
s.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

HolyCoatAndHat wrote: I have always felt that Next Time Around was one of the stronger songs on B&C...

Yeah, "Next Time Round" is great, though I didnt really like it at first. It really grew on me though. And as with most of the songs on B&C, I really love the way he sings it, especially

You've got something that I want now
And I've got something I can't hide
I've got too much love for you now
Have you got too much pride
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I love the beginning--'as I step out upon the landing, my heart was already down the stairs...'
Like me, the "g" is silent.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

There isn't one track on Blood & Chocolate that I don't like. Nobody wants you to think "Honey Are You Straight Or Are You Blind" is a work of genius. It's just a fun song that works perfectly after "I Want You."

Is there an Imposters concert opener any better than "I Hope You're Happy Now"? The album is flawless, and I don't care what anybody says!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

What, I forget to check this thread and here you are letting that young whippersnapper poo-poo the great KOA?? Don't make me break out the heavy artillery, Scampi-- you may be a genius but you're still a kid. :twisted:

In my mind, it goes like this. They're two sides of a coin-- opposite but made of the exact same stuff. Someone else can tell me whether the metaphor should be peanut butter vs. jelly or Apollo vs. Dionysis, older brother vs. younger brother, or whatever; I can't get that bothered about it. But something like that. I feel the same about TRUST and IB, truth to tell.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

but... c'mon... battered old bird....

And Blue Chair, thanks. I never really listened to the actual song "Blue Chair" too much, I dismissed it as a weak track. But I have listened to it around six times today, and it is incredibly genius. All thanks to your username.

<3,
s.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I think that Jackson Doofster (God he's cool), SMM and Spooky are definitely right!!!

Here are some great facts:

1. Next Time Round is damn fantastic....

2. Most of B&C is fantastic

3. Almost of all KoA is fantastic (could live without Eisenhower..)

4. Blue Chair is Fantastic (person and song)

5. I have a bigger penis than CopFan (possibly...no, probably..)

6. When EC does 'Tokyo Storm Warning' on stage, I listen to the first 5 mins (which are great) and then have a piss, buy a hot dog, order the weeks shopping on the internet, collect the kids from school, read 'Catcher in the Rye', bake cookies, squeeze that elusive zit in the centre of my back, trim my pubic hair and return in time for the next song....nice of Elvis to allow me that kind of interval really... :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

before i get into this i will have to once again defend honey are you straight..., having lived through this song i must say that it is really brilliant social commentary, like elvis saw the future and new one day being gay was the hippest thing you could do. (not a homophobe, just stating what is definitely a current social trend) the song is catchy, i love the do do do da da do do do melody and the wicked whaa whaa whaa whaaaa crunch guitars. every single song on b&c is absolute genius and it is without a doubt my favorite ec album.

koa has many ups and really only one real down. you guessed it-eisenhower blues-i burned a new copy of it that doesn't have that wretched song on it. i put american without tears no 2 on instead. i love the cover please don't let me be misunderstood and have an incredible live solo version of it that shakes my whole central nervous system and really isn't that what is all about. i also belive that our little angel is ec's best original country song (i still don't see the song almost blue as country although some have argued that it is).

i see these as completely different and seperate albums because two different bands were involved in making them and they both have different vibes. the common thread between them is the intense mood that prevails and dominates all of elvis's work. continuously gasping for air in a world that continuosly is dunking his head under the water. the desperation and conscious id keeps me hanging on even when the man shits out an album i can't stand like north.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-