Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Blue...is that cover on an album? What single is it a b-side of?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have it on the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers box set "Playback", which contains a disc of B-Sides.

The b-side was for the track "Make It Better (Forget About Me)", which isn't one of the Heartbreakers more memorable tunes, released in 1985.

It also appears on the Nick Lowe tribute album Labour Or Love: The Music Of Nick Lowe

Here's what the Playback liner notes say:

A Nick Lowe song, issues on the back of "Make It Better." "I think I first met Nick over the phone in London when he had the Jesus of Coll album out," Petty says. "We kept in touch, did a tour together. I always liked 'Crackin Up.' It was just one of those afternoons in the studio with not much to play. I said, "What about 'Cracking Up'?" and everybody said sure. We did it in a couple of hours. Nick came in right after we finished playing it."
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh..Ive got that Labour of Love...guess Id just forgotten it was on there! Doh!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Trouble in Paradise on Amazon, because none of the "chains" in town have it. Fawking Best Buy!

Thanks for the link BC! :o
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

No prob, LTZ. Let us know what you think of it.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

BC....

I wish I could afford 1, or even 2 day shipping....

:(
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Just picked up 'No Thanks - The 70's Punk Rebellion' box set on Rhino.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Windows - Steve Nieve
O - Damien Rice (thanks Mug!)
Pieces of April Sdtk
The Big Lebowski Sdtk
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Cool.

What's on the Pieces Of April soundtrack?
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Its all songs by Stephin Merritt (and his bands the Magnetic Fields and the 6ths). Its pretty interesting. I got it because I heard the Magnetic Fields song "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side" and couldnt get it out of my head for at least a month . . .

Actually its still there.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Tonight I bought the soundtrack to High Fidelity. I love that movie.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Awesome, crash8. That's an excellent soundtrack.

A while ago I tried to make a 3 CD set of every song heard in that film.. there's something like 50 to 60 songs played over the course of the film. I couldn't find them all though.
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

most recent cds:

modest mouse-lonesome crowded west

this album is playing non-stop in my car and i just can't seem to get tired of it.

wilco-being there

this is one of those albums i had always meant to pick and i finally did. i'm glad i did.

descendents-'merican ep

new ep. same band that roks my soks. new album coming soon on fat wreck chords.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The Who - The Ultimate Collection
Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

I don't have any Steve Earle, where should I start?
signed with love and vicious kisses
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Blue Chair,
I have a friend who does that for me. He puts all the songs from a movie on it and also puts in some of the best lines from the movie along the way. He then recreates the cover with the original art and puts in the adjusted playlist. He did one of Bull Durham for me since he knew it was my favorite. I cant wait until he does High Fidelity.
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I am a bit disappointed with the High Fidelity soundtrack. One track I was looking forward to was the one by the Beta Band that Cusack puts on in the record store to prove he can sell 5 copies of simply by playing it. Unfortunately they put on a "different" Beta Band song than the one he was playing at that point.

Bummer
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Nope, crash.. it's the same Beta Band song.. "Dry The Rain." It's just that in the film, John Cusack starts playing it from the middle of the song, so the catchy hook doesn't come until later in the song. Give it a chance!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Bill Bailey - the ultimate collection!

Yes, this is the funniest CD Ive heard in ages, I just spent a week away listening to it non-stop...

Il adopte la position missionaire...c'est populaire!!
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I bought "Here, My Dear" by Marvin Gaye. It's the album he made that was mandated by a judge to pay his ex-wife--she would get the advance and all the royalties. Gaye loved the hell out of woman, and hated her just as much--and each emotion shows in the music. Frighteningly beautiful--possibly better than "What's Going On". It was panned when it was released, but it was ahead of its time...check it out, y'all.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Blue Chair you were right. And I only had to wait 4 minutes into the songs before I got to that part. Who'd a thunk it. Thanks
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Dwight Twilley XXI - a kind of greatest hits, although most of these songs were never hits or close to it. Twilley's album releases have been sporadic at best, but he kept recording great material even when he was between contracts. and he kept control of his back catalogue. This album is a fine sampler of some of his best.

Joss Stone, Soul Sessions - I resisted this one for a while, since I don't have nearly enough albums by the people she emulates and couldn't justify the expenditure on that basis. But I found it at a very attractive price (about $7) and had to buy it. I'm glad I did.

Van Morrison, The Bang Masters - I had 13 of the 19 tracks on vinyl but none on CD. These recordings are from Van's earliest solo sessions after the dissolution of Them, and there's some fabulous material here. "Brown Eyed Girl," "T.B. Sheets," "He Ain't Give You None" etc.

Next up - George Harrison's Dark Horse Years box set.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I bought the Cloud 9 of the Harrison reissues for someone the other day....expensive though!

I bought Captain Beefheart and the magic band's Clear Spot, and The Spotlight Kid....they're brilliant! I need to buy more Capn B, as all I had before was Troutmaskreplica which is ace as well.

I looked at that Joss Stone...great voice, weird that she's from the english west country innit! Have any of you guys heard this girl Katie Melua as well...another great voice, more lounge jazzy stuff, but good.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Hungup, aren't you the other Flaming Groovies buyer on this board? And Dwight Twilley....do you also sometimes post on the semi-comatose Nick Lowe yahoo board? I'm putting two and two together here, but my math skills are notoriously underfed.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm also a big Flamin' Groovies fan!! I thought I was so alone......
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I've finally put aside some of my prejudices towards the 'classic' artists. I have always had this stiff-necked steak that if the majority of people love something it must be bad. Can't help it, it annoys me hearing about the same artists over and over again (and yet I come to a site dedicated to one artist...my hypocrisy knows no bounds... :wink: )

Anyway, to the point...after listening to some Bob Dylan as a teenager I finally picked up Blood on the Tracks (Blonde on Blonde was like 30 bucks, not quite yet Bob).

I definitely enjoy it, and will be looking at picking up other copoies of his stuff.

Also got Alice by Tom Waits, haven't really spent too much time with it yet, but as I like most of his stuff I'm sure it'll make it's way into my rotation.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.