Score at the Beacon Show Tonight: Mascara, 1; NORTH 5

Pretty self-explanatory
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I cried through a great deal of the show. The stuff from NORTH in particular was just too close to the bone for this crazed Mug, but it was a lovely show.

Here's a first crack at a setlist:

1. 45
2. Home Turth
3. No Wonder
4. This House is Empty Now
5. Pills and Soap
6. Your Left Me In the Dark
7. Someone Took the Words Away
8. Rocking Horse Road
9. Real Emotional Girl
10. God's Comic
11. PL & U
12. Sleep of the Just
13. Man Out of Time
14. Either Side of the Same Town
15. When It Sings
16. God Give Me Strength
17. When Green Eyes Turn Blue
18. Still
[?] Fallen [where did this fit in?]
19. Can You Be True?
20. My Mood Swings
21. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
22. Almost Blue
23. I'm In the Mood Again
24. The Scarlet Tide
25. You'll Never Walk Alone
26. Pump It Up
27. Dark End of the Street

Comments in a mo'...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, a few random comments before I go to bed:

1. Pip and Mz. BA are both lovely people. We had a chance to chat over beer and vast quantities of steamed vegetables.

2. I am never again going to an Elvis show without someone who's in love with me on my arm. Well, except tomorrow. And I suppose I won't really stick to that. But boy tonight's show made me sad. Beautifully and happily sad, but sad. NORTH just kills me. But I'm glad he played so much from it, it was a gift.

3. Do people really think, when there is a four-piece string ensemble there playing from sheet music, that their cries of "VerAHHHHHHHnica!!" are going to be fruitful?

Must... sleep....
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Ms. Mug did a fine job but omitted a few tunes. It was a very generous set! My version of the setlist is as follows:

1. 45
2. Green Shirt
3. Home Truth
4. No Wonder
5. The Long Honeymoon
6. This House Is Empty Now
7. Pills and Soap
8. You Left Me in the Dark
9. Someone Took the Words Away
10. You Turned to Me
11. Rocking Horse Road
12. Real Emotional Girl
13. Fallen
14. God's Comic
15. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding
16. Sleep of the Just
17. Man Out of Time
18. Either Side of the Same Town
19. When It Sings
20. God Give Me Strength
21. When Green Eyes Turn Blue
22. Still
23. Can You Be True?
24. My Mood Swings
25. The Birds Will Still Be Singing
26. Almost Blue
27. I'm in the Mood Again
28. The Scarlet Tide
29. You'll Never Walk Alone
30. Pump It Up
31. Dark End of the Street

I too have some comments but no time at the moment to type them.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks both of you.

Was You'll Never Walk Alone a proper version of the song or an impromptu singalong?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

You'll Never Walk Alone
He must have watched the Liverpool v Levski Sofia match live on the telly beforehand then!! :D I suppose that would have been about 3pm there.
verbal gymnastics

More like a premonition.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Please tell me that you guys enjoyed the Brodskys addition to his songs. I just thought they were wonderful, especially on Pills and Soap.

I'm sorry you were weepy, Mug. I'm sure Elvis didn't mean to make you cry. And I told you that you would love Pip.

I also hope one day to meet the legend that is Miss BA. :)

Now, get some rest so you guys can enjoy tonight!
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Please tell me that you guys enjoyed the Brodskys addition to his songs. I just thought they were wonderful, especially on Pills and Soap.
I very much enjoyed their participation, which was limited to perhaps a third of the songs. "Pills and Soap" was indeed wonderful, as were "My Mood Swings," in an incredibly inventive arrangement, and "Almost Blue," during which EC continues to find increasingly clever ways of making me feel a lump in my throat. He moved to the piano for the coda, as he did in the fall, allowing Professor Nieve to add his melodica stylings.

verbal gymnastics wrote:Was You'll Never Walk Alone a proper version of the song or an impromptu singalong?
It was a full-on and apparently heartfelt rendition. The singalongs were limited to the choruses of "God's Comic" and "Pump It Up."
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

selfmademug wrote: 3. Do people really think, when there is a four-piece string ensemble there playing from sheet music, that their cries of "VerAHHHHHHHnica!!" are going to be fruitful?
I think you give too much credit to the average concertgoer. :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I was especially impressed by Pills and Soap, Rocking Horse Road and an amazing My Mood Swings. Also, watching Steve rock the piano on What's So Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding is one of the highlights of my life. Excellent, excellent show.

I was, however, disturbed by something like 10 cell phones going off during the course of the show . . . :?
Pov

Post by Pov »

Mug, you weren't alone. My wife almost lost it during Real Emotional Girl. What a fantastic song!

Some of my comments: I went to the Town Hall show last fall, and the accoustics at Town Hall are much better (not that the Beacon is horrible), and the audience at Town Hall was much better too. At the TH show I didn't here a single idiot shout out "Allison!" or "Veronica!" I think the Town Hall audience, which was smaller, was simply more respectful of the quiet nature of these shows.

The Brodskys really added a lot to the show. My favorite part was the really cool arrangement of Rockinghorse Road. I would love to have seen EC use them on Green Shirt, where they could have played the synthesizer parts. That would have been cool.

This House is Empty Now was amazing. It got him the first standing ovation of the night.

The shoes he was wearing were outrageuous! I was in the loge so I couldn't see what they were made of (maybe rhinesotnes?) but the reflections off them were blinding!

Elvis said that he would back later this year with "some surprises." I'm hoping this means a new rock album and an Imposters tour!
verbal gymnastics

HungupStrungup wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Was You'll Never Walk Alone a proper version of the song or an impromptu singalong?
It was a full-on and apparently heartfelt rendition. The singalongs were limited to the choruses of "God's Comic" and "Pump It Up."
Thanks Hungup - I'll have to seek out a bootleg. It sounds like it was a fantastic show.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I forgot about the shoes! (How is that possible?) Wow . . . definitely got my attention from way in the back.

I thought the show was fantastic though I was kind of disappointed in the audience. Though not all of it, I guess. I think Miss BA and I were in a loud section, right by the lobby doors. There was a lot of noise from that and people would walk up and down the aisles frequently and talk loudly as they did, which would cause mass shushing in the general area, which for some reason I always find really funny.

I cant wait for him to come back! Steve was amazing, as usual. Wonderful . . .
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Loved loved loved the Brodskys on the untraditional arrangements (Rocking Horse Road, My Mood Swings, Pills and Soap). I think I may have heard him play God's Comic one too many times, though...the joke about "if this were an expensive show, with Cher"--well, I guess it's not normal to see him three times in five months. Except here, where it seems to be the rule.

Lovely meeting self, who was every bit as engaging as I expected, and has a surprisingly strong resemblance to her avatar...Ran into double dutchess in the bathroom, which was cool. And of course, much props to pip, without whom I don't think I would have even gone last night; it's so nice to go see Elvis with someone who is equally into it! Sorry for deserting you afterwards, but I was cold and tired, and that guy who was shouting at Robert Deniro was really getting on my nerves.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Pov wrote:....

The shoes he was wearing were outrageuous! I was in the loge so I couldn't see what they were made of (maybe rhinesotnes?) but the reflections off them were blinding! ....
perhaps he nicked alison's shoes? :twisted:
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
bryantb

Post by bryantb »

To all of you who made comments about cell phones and inappropriate audience response- we had the same problems in Nashville. I can only hope that Elvis sees some type of humor in the situation. I mean, who yells out requests to a string quartet?!?!

And he was wearing the same great shoes the night before as well.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

"Pachelbell's Canon!"

sorry. me giddy.
lovesickoflove

Re: Score at the Beacon Show Tonight: Mascara, 1; NORTH 5

Post by lovesickoflove »

great subject line! i'm brand new to the forum but wanted to say hello and that i enjoyed hearing people's thoughts on the amazing show last night. i posted a silly little personal review here:

http://www.thiswheelsonfire.com/blog/

if anyone has any photos from outside as Elvis was leaving the building, it would be great to see them posted some time. cheers, -lsol
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

ooooh, lsol, that was lovely reading!

he signed your SHOE! chutzpah.

i've got a big scarf to bundle up in to wait at the stage door tonight. :)
Pov

Post by Pov »

lovesickoflove wrote:great subject line! i'm brand new to the forum but wanted to say hello and that i enjoyed hearing people's thoughts on the amazing show last night. i posted a silly little personal review here:

if anyone has any photos from outside as Elvis was leaving the building, it would be great to see them posted some time. cheers, -lsol
Nice blog entry, but I would have gone barefoot rather than putting that shoe back on :D
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nice personal review, lsol. And welcome to the board. Stick around! :)

You and your red shoes rock!
elvicos01

Post by elvicos01 »

The aggravation of the assholes in the audience last night still has not worn off. I so enjoy spending my hard earned money to listen to the someone with a worse voice than myself “singing” loader than Elvis during ‘God Give Me Strength’, ‘God's Comic’ and ‘Almost Blue’. I guess he did not know the words to the North songs. The worst was when a fellow Elvis appreciator told to shut the F*** up, and he got louder during ‘You'll Never Walk Alone'.

As with other members, sitting in the orchestra, not far from the doors, was just awful. I almost thought some of these people thought they were going to rock 'n' roll show. Any why so many people left early. Six people in my row left during PL & U.

Enough ranting.

I truly have always enjoyed the spontaneity of Elvis in changing his set-list. Last night was no different. I think that has always been one my favorite aspects of his performances, as well as Elvis’ re-inventing his songs. The Brodsky's brought a whole different aspect of the older songs. Rocking Horse Road was amazing, as was My Mood Swings. I totally agree, Green Shirt could have been this, but I guess with only three performances with the Brodsky's on this tour, we can only expect so much (even if we usually get more).

Lastly, I hate the Beacon Theatre. The acoustics in there are not very good, especially given the other locations in NYC that Elvis can and has played. The 11:00pm curfew has to go as well (I most point out this was not an issue last night, as Elvis gave a 2 1/2 performance).

I would rate this show in one my top five shows I have seen, but if it were not for the Brodsky's, I probably would have to rate the 1999 shows at the Beacon better (the audience was better at that show, so that might have something to do with it).
Why are we racing to be so old?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

lovesickoflove wrote:great subject line! i'm brand new to the forum but wanted to say hello and that i enjoyed hearing people's thoughts on the amazing show last night. i posted a silly little personal review here:

A Dylan fan! Welcome!!!!!!!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Both you and Spooky got the Brodsky Quartet? That is too glorious. How was 'You'll Never Walk Alone' done? How Perry Como of him! Save the cell phones it sounds like a perfect show.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

laughingcrow wrote:
You'll Never Walk Alone
He must have watched the Liverpool v Levski Sofia match live on the telly beforehand then!! :D I suppose that would have been about 3pm there.
Wonder if he'll still be singing it in a week or so after the second leg?

Of course he will! *nervous laugh*

VG - if you ever get one, you'll know who would love a boot of the show, don't you? :wink: