Hooray! "I Can't Stand Up..." On TOTP2 Thursday 19

Pretty self-explanatory
DrJ

Hooray! "I Can't Stand Up..." On TOTP2 Thursday 19

Post by DrJ »

Phill Jupitus is the guest host this week and Thursday's show begins with Elvis doing "I Can't Stand Up..." from Feb 1980. Hopefully this is the footage where he swings around the studio on a wire, which I've never seen. The site lists ths show as being on at 18.45, but all this week where I live, it's been on at 19.05.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/lineup/

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Yeah, Mr Jupitus has been picking some good stuff, saw the Members & Ian Dury earlier in the week, and today he had Madness doing Prince Buster (looking very young), and The Jam doing Eton Rifles. My TV guide say 19:05 for tomorrow. Tomorrows show looks the best though with this lot:
1. Elvis Costello - 'I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down'
2. The Smiths - 'This Charming Man'
3. The Housemartins - 'Happy Hour'
4. Outkast - 'Hey Ya'
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers - 'Aeroplane'
6. Catatonia - 'Dead From The Waist Up'
7. The Stranglers - 'Go Buddy
signed with love and vicious kisses
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Bump! On in about 30 minutes.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Smallfaces1

ehem

Post by Smallfaces1 »

Elvis dances!
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
Smallfaces1

ehem

Post by Smallfaces1 »

that was funny!
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

It was great, but he doesn't swing over the audience as I'd read but he's just pulled up and down a little. But the Attractions look so cool, and EC does seem glassy eyed.

If I had the technology I'd encode it and upload it, but I don't have the technology.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Thanks for the tip DrJ it made for great viewing. I vaguely remember seeing it first time round; even then it struck me as gimmicky. Now on repeat viewing on video, it almost brings tears to your eyes. They all are so thin, so young looking, full heads of hair all-round. Elvis is clearly feeling the effects of the naggin or two of vodka, looking glassy eyed and doing a surreal twitchy dance during the main performance. The astonishing bit at the end is a whole different ball game. Crudely cutting to another take, Elvis looks deeply unsure as he's winched up and down in to the air repeatedly, finishing with him nearly doing the splits as he's finally lowered back to the ground. This was his last genuine hit single; you can easily understand why he doesn’t feel motivated to go through that sort of promotional nonsense again.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Pedant's Corner:
He was yet to have a big hit with Good Year for the Roses, and there was still a bunch TOTP appearances he put in after ICSUFFD...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/totpperf/s ... dosubmit=1

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Finally saw it today. He really did look like he was about to chuck at any moment.