Cuban Grammy Nominees Denied U.S. Visas

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Cuban Grammy Nominees Denied U.S. Visas

Post by BlueChair »

Apparently a bunch of Grammy nominees from Cuba, including Ibrahim Ferrer from Buena Vista Social Club, have been declined U.S. Visas and therefore will be unable to attend to the Grammy Awards this Sunday.

I really don't understand the U.S.'s foreign policy.

From Billboard.com

Cuban officials complained today (Feb. 5) that the U.S. government has denied visas to Cuban Grammy nominees who wanted to attend the awards ceremony Sunday in Los Angeles. All five nominees for this year's Grammy for best traditional tropical Latin album are Cuban musicians who live on the communist-run island. They include Ibrahim Ferrer of Buena Vista Social Club fame, lute player Barbarito Torres and "timbalero" percussionist Amadito Valdes.

Officials in Cuban President Fidel Castro's government said the musicians were denied requested visas under U.S. immigration regulations barring entry to the U.S. of people considered a threat to its national security.

The head of the Cuban Music Institute, Abel Acosta, accused the Bush Administration of blocking the visas for political reasons to please Cuban-American voters in Miami. "How can these musicians be considered terrorists?" Acosta asked. "We all know that this decision was taken to please the Cuban exile Mafia in Miami in an election year."

U.S. diplomats in Havana declined to comment on the denial of visas requested by the Cubans. Washington has enforced economic and travel sanctions against Cuba for four decades. The Bush administration has toughened U.S. policy against Castro's one-party state and cut back on cultural exchanges and visits by artists.

"I am not a terrorist. I couldn't be one. I am a musician and have always been well received by American audiences," said Ferrer, who will turn 77 this month.

The one Cuban nominee who has a U.S. visa and could attend awards is pianist Chucho Valdes, who is nominated for best Latin jazz album. But the artist previously said he would not attend if the other Cuban musicians were not allowed to enter the U.S.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Blue you understand U.S. foreign policy just fine. It has its head up its ass, is all.

That is fucked. Welcome back to the frikkin cold war.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

how can these guys be terrorists?.......i tell ya.........mambo is their weapon of choice!!!!!!!!!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

"Put down the maracas and step away before anyone gets hurt. I'm serious, muchacho, I'll blow your head off if you try to sing!"
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

every now and then i am so embaressed for my country. some day's i just feel like i can't apologize enough. i never understood the embargo thing. i never liked the embargo thing. i think it is just obscene. isn't china a communist country? we don't embargo them. hypocritcal bullshit like this makes it really hard to be proud to be an american.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Here we go again:

Cubanismo's Visas Denied Before U.S. Tour

A two-month U.S. tour by the 15-piece Cuban pop band Cubanismo! has been canceled because group members were denied visas. The tour was scheduled to start April 1 and included at least 40 different shows, said Mike Kappus, president of the San Francisco-based Rosebud Agency, which represents the group in the United States.

Kappus said Rosebud and the band weren't given a reason for the denial. He got word of the visa denials the day before the first concert was to take place in Baltimore.

Because Cuba is classified by the U.S. government as a state sponsor of terrorism, more extensive background checks are required for citizens of the communist island who apply for visas. The process can take from eight to 10 weeks.

The group has been touring in the United States since 1993, and has never been denied entry, Kappus said. He said band members do not receive salaries from the Cuban government. The band is led by trumpet player Jesus Alemany.

"I have a feeling that it's not going to make sense for us to try and have them come back until we have a different administration, or a different policy against Cuban acts," Kappus said. "We have never had a problem with this band before." He said his company lost time and money meeting with promoters, who had already purchased ad campaigns, booked venues for the tour and sold tickets.

A spokesperson for the U.S. State Department did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Cuban visa applicants are subject to a 1985 U.S. presidential proclamation that, with few exceptions, prohibits Cuban government officers and employees from entering the United States, State Department officials in Washington have said. They said most Cuban artists are compensated by the government and are therefore considered employees.

Five Cuban acts nominated for Grammy Awards, including Ibrahim Ferrer of the Buena Vista Social Club, were denied U.S. visas needed to attend the show this year.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.