Incredible new, exciting game!!

Pretty self-explanatory
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Mr. Misery did this one:

Only the sensibility of Elvis Costello could have composed 'Love Field,' and I mean that as the highest compliment. The beauty of the outdoor surroundings, described with literary mastery in the language of the boudoir ("A road of white linen... Cold ground for a pillow under a blanket of stars"), is contrasted with the sex which should be ecstatic but instead provides tension and anxiety because it is not accompanied by love. The narrator seems to be addressing himself when he says "You think you're different from the rest but you don't know how you've changed."
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Thanks Lapins and MrMiz.

I have Love Field on a Best Of. It sounds really Great! I guess I never pay attention to the lyrics all the way through. I just kind of get lost in the beautiful atmosphere.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

You're welcome but I am just a messenger. I love 'Love Field' too! I think there are dissenters on the board though. I miss this thread. Anyone for 'Distorted Angel'?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I was away for quite awhile and I am not sure how the 'game' is played. But I can react to Distorted Angel. I believe the originally released version is a homage to Paul Weller. I have heard both agreement from others and vehement dissention on this notion of Paul Weller as an EC muse. But the ethereal sound and the vocal intonation is just so much like Paul Weller (Jam, Style Council) during his early solo career sound...not during the Jam or Style Council periods.

I have heard that Elvis has reacted both positively and negatively to the notion that Paul Weller could have provided some influence for this and other songs. It's not too much of a stretch, as both artists have paid significant tribute to the Philly Soul and Motown sounds of the 60's and early 70's.

If you look to the 50 greatest EC songs of all time thread, I list Distorted Angel in my top 15. Last of that group is a song that chills me to the bone, based on both past experience and the powerful desire to never feel that feeling again:

"This House is Empty Now"

Maybe it has already been played through this thread. There isn't much to say about it...

...or is there.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

LJ, thank you for thinking my lines on 'Love Field' were worth quoting. Mr. Average's karate picture out menaced yours but he will agree with me that yours with the tigress ears infinitely out cuted his! :D

I recall reading an essay claiming that 'Man Out of Time' was EC's masterpiece. It's certainly a remarkable song. The men have exalted positions in society but are frustrated in their search for love and feel unworthy of it.

He's got a mind like a sewer and a heart like a fridge
He stands to be insulted and he pays for the privilege

and:

Love is always carpering or cowering or fawning
You drink yourself insensitive and hate yourself in the morning

They are men running out of time perhaps of finding true love in this lifetime, and the singer joins them in the chorus with the line "To murder my love is a crime." As usual the wordplay is clever and complex and the lines can be interpreted many different ways.

Next song: Human Hands
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Sorry Mr. Misery-the only one who likes my poetry and I do this to you! I accidentally deleted my post which may have been a mercy for many but. .

I praised you historical commentary Mr. Average, then scolded you for out menacing my picture!

'This House is Empty Now' is a study of the tragedy of being the one left behind. Clinging to memories, feeling helpless and love lost. The narrator is haunted by memories and it blends into the joy of the past, the heart break of the present and the probably torment of the future. Only emptiness remains and he's plunged into desperation. A truly beautiful song filled with the sorrow that thinking of what can never be brings.

Man Out Of Time
cbartal

This House is Empty Now

Post by cbartal »

If I remember correctly, this track is almost all Burt.

I do know that in a recent interview, however, Elvis names this song as a precursor of some sort to You Left Me in the Dark.

In any case, I love it. The long meandering verses are particularly inviting; as well as the rather high pitched lead in to the short, and sadly beautiful (thanx paul) guitar-solo in the bridge.

I do, however, take slight exception with the the chorus. The background singers I find a bit trite and unnecessary.

Overall, though, a great track. I would have liked to hear a "Northian" interpretation of it.

On with the show.

Clean Money. It's obviously one of noises faves. For me, like No Action, it has one of the most powerfully abrupt beginnings in all pop music. The only other song intro I can compare it to is Squeeze's Pulling Muscles from a Shell.

These intros would wake the dead.

Why am I reviewing my own song? Drunk again, I guess. Cmon, anybody, pipe up on Clean Money. Oh Yeah, I forgot, I have to hit the Enter key first.
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

LessThanZero wrote:Thanks Lapins and MrMiz.

I have Love Field on a Best Of. It sounds really Great! I guess I never pay attention to the lyrics all the way through. I just kind of get lost in the beautiful atmosphere.
LessThanZero, if you get a chance I think you'd also love the version of 'Love Field' on Deep Dead Blue the rare and exquisite live recording with guitarist Bill Frisell. LJ introduced me to that album, I'm eternally grateful to her for that and for so much else.

I chose Human Hands as the next song but posting at the same time cbartal chose Clean Money. It's down to a popularity contest--of songs I mean!
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Those back up singers should have been backed off the album. The Lonely World tour gave me a love for that record.

I messed up and am no longer worthy of the thread so in reperation I'll do Mr. Misery's and let some one else do yours Mr. Bartal. Which you already kind of did but someone can expand.

Mr. Misery your lines are always worth quoting you know I love you more than slightly. You are welcome for 'Deep, Dead, Blue'.

I love 'Human Hands'-that was on my PMed top 15! It's great honest, apologetic love song. It's a cynic in love and he doesn't sugar coat it or make it terribly romantic. It's incomplete as the lover is but he's remorseful in his frailty. And regretful of hers as well.

Clean Money
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

lapinsjolis wrote:Those back up singers should have been backed off the album.

Mr. Misery your lines are always worth quoting you know I love you more than slightly.
Very witty line about Painted From Memory! There seems to be a consensus that those birds should not have been singing. LJ, you know I love you more than slightly too, although we never said it like this before. :D

'Clean Money' is a furious rocking track with energy to spare, a great opener for Taking Liberties. It's about the desire to earn enough money to provide things for a loved one, and typically there are mordant twists. He used some of the lyrics in the similar but more elaborate 'Love For Tender.'

I remember in high school quoting the savage line, with attribution, "The wages of sin is an expensive infection." My teacher sternly corrected me: "The wages of sin is death." I said, icily I hope, that I was familiar with the original quotation.

Mouth Almighty
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I know I'm not worthy but it's late and I'm alone once more. Still he's all I have worth. . well finish the lyric.

Mr. Misery I'm sure you were very indignant.

'Mouth Almighty' is a great song. Being cutting and right may leave you alone and with regret. And the insulted but desirable off with a new paramour. Everywhere he goes remembrances of her follow and he is left with his perfect hair and brilliant wit.

I admit to loving this song musically as it takes so many directions. Mr. Nieve always knows a fine way to treat a Steinway. Besides it's so catchy and it works.

Has this been done?

Radio Sweetheart
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Indignant as only a sixteen year old can be. Glad to have you back on the thread LJ, you are worthy and I love you! :D

'Radio Sweetheart' is the first song EC recorded and in a style that defied all the trends of the day, and it's such a strong and lasting composition that it is still featured in his concert repertoire. I love the country feel and the recondite romanticism--the singer has endured a break up but still pines for his love far away, sending out dedications, hiding his hurt, and hoping for a reconciliation:

"When it's late and the night gets colder, don't lay your head on any other shoulder."

Baby Plays Around
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Ah thank you Mr. Misery I needed that-X!

What a great and glorious song. The callousness of infidelity and the heartbreak weaved into such an understated little masterpiece. Being reconciled to settle for something less because of the need for the other. In retrospect (it kind of always was) a telling song because of the co-writer whom Elvis gives most of the credit. This song could endure in any age. Simply marvelous.

A hated one next (Be kind I love it)

Pads, Paws and Claws
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

LJ=Lovely.
X!! :D :D

I so agree 'Baby Plays Around' is a masterpiece, it would be on my top 15 list but I've been procrastinating about compiling it, a daunting task!

'Pads, Paws and Claws' (co-written with Paul McCartney) is a great song too, another of my favorites from Spike. The music is rock minimalism with a guitar that seems to be pacing the floor nervously and the lyrics are a gleeful tale of a feline tormentor and her booze sodden husband, their passionate fights and reconciliations--not a funny subject matter but wittily rendered and so fun.

"He's coming home now and here's the surprise
You wouldn't believe the lies that he tries!
She cut him down to her favorite size."

EC did a great solo version of this on the Letterman show circa 1989, prompting Dave's question "How do you think up these songs!"

The Birds Will Still Be Singing
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Mr. Misery=Charming

I love this one as well, you're picking all my favorites tonight. It's so poetic and seems to have shades of Rossetti's 'Remember'. It speaks of the routines of mourning and the fears and doubts of another's despair. Yet in it's sorrow it has the bittersweet promise of life and beauty continuing after. And is unflinchingly honest about the role we have in the scheme of things, "Whether I'm lost or I'm forgiven the birds will still be singing. . " 'The Juliet Letters' is so ingenious and it's subjects so worthy of exploration.

Kid About It
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Survival in a relationship and in life is the theme, and the two seem intertwined. The couple experience deception ("She's telling all of those lies she swore she never told before, but I doubt it"), death, ambition, being mysterious to one another, sadness, the wish to return to childhood innocence, fighting, and lovemaking. What emerges at the end is that her kiss gives him life, the meaning and the will to go on. To me it is a complex and moving song about a man and a woman sharing the sorrows and joys of life together.

In the liner notes it's revealed that 'Kid About It' was written the day after the murder of John Lennon. The only direct reference to this is in the line "Singing the leaving of Liverpool and turning into Americans."

The Other End of the Telescope
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

one of my e.c. top 5 songs ever......i love the other end of the telescope......listening to its beautiful melody over and over again was one of the reasons that i got hooked on costello´s music......plus it is to me one of his finest lyrics......a favourite line of mine, as you all probably know, is :".......the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close.........."

.......i leave with.....suspect my tears
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
girl out of time

...come on you guys!.......i said.....suspect my tears (isn´t that a great song or what?!!!) :wink: :wink: :wink:
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

I've heard this once and I think live, so forgive my failing memory. It's a song about revenge in regards to emotional blackmail. His lover has been controlling him with her feigned sorrow and he has become immune. Now he plants the seed of doubt in her mind by threatening the same manipulation.

That's for you Girl out of time! You can thank me later. :roll:

B Movie
girl out of time

lapinsjolis.....nice insights on such beautiful song.....about thanking you later..... :shock: :? :oops: :!:
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

Ah just joshing. Perdóneme amiga en Elvis!

B Movie
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

B Movie...

Seems to be indirectly referencing EC's position after the drunken bar room incident damaged his reputation in the states. It's another cryptically apt thought provoking 2 minute number from Get Happy!!

There's a mood of resignation: America seems too unreal ('B Movie' suggesting to me homogenized) and now far away. Yet he wants to succeed there, especially since now he's realized how he cares (and since besides, in Britannia, "everybody's on the make"), "It's not your heart I want to break'', but has got to wait. In that resignation they also seem to be happy to keep grooving as they are here in the meantime and create a song like B Movie.

I also find it funny in that he seems to be saying, "America can't handle me":

"too reel, too reel (real),
you can't stand it when I throw punchlines you can feel"

I know it's Elvis, but I really like how the use of language opens up avenues of thought here. And there doesn't seem to be a syllable or note out of place. Perfect.

Next: Temptation ... can anyone provide any background on this supposedly having something to do with Bruce Springsteen?
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

I don't know anything about the Springsteen connection, perhaps someone else can supply that information.

'Temptation' is another remarkable song from the brilliant Get Happy!!. He's slowed down the arrangement in recent concerts to bring the lyrics to the fore. It seems to treat the trappings of success and it's unclear whether it's addressed to someone else or the singer himself. I like the "air conditioned limbo" and "the curse of sophistication" describing empty affluence that drives him to drink "in self defense." Instead of resisting temptation he comically welcomes it, even knowing it's bad for him.

Hidden Charms
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Temptation

Elvis used to start his slowed down version by saying he wrote this in 1978 after seeing a well known singer from row 57 in a giant dome going through his particular brand of torture and thinking [about fame and fortune] that this would never happen to him. He used to joke "Well that's true - it never happened to me".

Then he'd say that Steve had put together this wonderful new arrangement and voila; the slowed down version of Temptation.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
lapinsjolis

Post by lapinsjolis »

The subdued version of 'Temptation' is so great. I wonder if he'll play it on the 'North' tour.

Hidden Charms

(Mr. Misery this may be Thurber's favorite from 'The Kojak Variety'.) A Willie Dixon cover that howls (just wanted to use 'howls'). A song about an exclusive expression of love and allurements brought out by mutual passion. It's fun and upbeat and without guile. Straight forward type of song.

Maybe I shouldn't post when I have a fever. .

From Head To Toe