This Year's Model CD Error

Pretty self-explanatory
Cruel World

This Year's Model CD Error

Post by Cruel World »

I remember hearing a critic say that the Armed Forces disk had once a glitch where a couple seconds skipped back during the track Chemistry Class. He went on to say that several disks had the same problem which could have been a fault do to the same factory creating them all. I bought This Year's Model and during the track Lip Service at the 2:22 mark, there seems to be a glitch with a strange thumping or bubbly noise. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just a fault on my disk. Do all the TYM disks have this error due to a mistake caused in the factory they were created?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Are you talking about the original no bonus CD, the Ryko/Demon version with some 'extended play' or the new 2cd rhino CDs?
Cruel World

Post by Cruel World »

laughingcrow wrote:Are you talking about the original no bonus CD, the Ryko/Demon version with some 'extended play' or the new 2cd rhino CDs?
I'm talking about the new 2cd rhino CD.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hmm, that must be just your disc then mate. It's a real bummer when you have to take CDs back, I hope you've still got the receipt.

On a totally unrelated topic, does anyone else get scared shitless listening to the opening of Hand In Hand if you're on your own at night? :?
Cruel World

Post by Cruel World »

Fortunately, I still have my receipt, and I'll take it back tomorrow. It is a bummer cause it's one of his best albums.

Hand in Hand being scarry? It's just another example of Elvis Costello's intensness and energy.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hi all - don't worry about the glitch on Chemistry Class - it's meant to be there - it was on the original vinyl version. Basically, on the word, 'accidents', the record needle skips - it's a deliberate joke.
Smallfaces1

c'mon

Post by Smallfaces1 »

c'mon that glitch is blatantly meant to be there!
"Do you remember rick astley? he had a big fat hit it was ghastly, he said i'm never gonna give you up or let you down, well i'm here to tell you that dick's a clown"
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yeah, that's not really a mistake. It's like the They Might Be Giants song "Anna Ng ," where they sing "And it sticks like a broken record, everything sticks like a broken record, everything sticks until..."

The glitch of which you speak on TYM sounds like a real error, though. I'll listen with the headphones later.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Cruel World

Post by Cruel World »

I never had any problems with Armed Forces and Chemistry Class plays fine. However, there is a slight scratchiness or distortion on the live version of Stranger In the House but it's probably part of the master recording. I exchanged This Years Model and it has the same problem, but it's really minor and no big deal and I believe it to be a part of the recording.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I don't hear anything unusual at 2.22 on Lip Service (Rhino vers.).