Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
John

Post by John »

True blue Toffee, I'm afraid Plaything.
I gather you weren't brought up properly and support the Reds.
Oh well, at least you have good taste in music!

I was a season ticket holder at Goodison until last season, but haven't been at all this season. Even when I don't go I find myself strangely compelled to listen to full commentry on local radio. At least I can switch off as soon as the final whistle goes!

No doubt the phone-ins made good listening this evening with you reds getting stuck into Houllier and Heskey.

I believe young Rooney was lucky to stay on today - will have to watch The Premiership later for the first time in a while - tend not to tune in when we lose! :) [/quote]
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounded bizarre. Rooney, already half way down the tunnel, allowed to stay on.

Who cares, look who's top of the league! Nice one Bolton.

Thank God Man Utd made up for last year's embarrassing one point only against City. I watched it ata rabid City fan's place, slightly anxious over whether he'd attack me when it got to 5, so it was almost a relief that we let them off with a gentle 3-1. And I'm second fantasy-wise, having got most points today, but bloody Henry will no doubt change all that tomorrow.
Otis Westinghouse

Only me then. Gilli and Doof, what did you think, then? It was never going to happen, was it. thanks for letting us be Christmas top dog so easily. Actually, it was very similar to the Man City game. Identical pattern of goals and sense of where the game was going.

And Jason Dodd got me 15 points in the fantasy league, so a stonking weekend, marred only by the silly Brum/Wolves rain offs meaning four of my players weren't gathering points, which has not only mucked things up, but very probably mucked up my chance of going top for the first time, cos I am now second with only 7 points in it. Bloody rain.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah Wolves missed oot on a guaranteed 3pts....(ducks PoP's scouse pie).

What league do you do Otis? I did the bbc sportpages one, but so many people do it, finding out that you're 35487th is really disconcerting.
Otis Westinghouse

It's the premierleague.com one, i.e. the official league site. Very good. You can make one transfer a week, and more if you want to lose points for each one. None of this nonsense of mixing the PL and the SPL either. Alex Rae was an excellent buy for me. And I have Oakes and Andrews as cheapo bench warmers, though tediously this meant I didn't get automatic subs, apart from Taricco for Southgate, who got 0 points, arsehole. It does wrok very well. I think there are near on 200,000 people on it, very global, it would seem. I'm 16,000 and something, but it's the 11 people in my work league that are my only concern. It's genuinely disturbing how you can get more caught up in the excitiment of it over your real club's, even though a good MU performance normally means good points for Ruud and Ryan. You can have three players from one club, but I sold O'Shea, cos he wasn't delivering, for the 6-9 points a game Southgate, and of course he scored on Sunday. So I was both ecstatic and pissed off!

Nice pic! What is that? From an early edition of Frankenstein?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

oakes is shite...and murray is out for the rest of the season.

Who you got up front with Ruud Van? Seems like Shearer would get the mos points for creating/scoring/apearances/not conceded...premiership defences are so crappy, so finding good defenders is hard on a budget if you blow your money on strikers.
Otis Westinghouse

Oakes is good value for money. One of the cheapest, and not the worst.

I have Shearer, newly acquired after selling the pisspoor Mutu (good player, but I got him just after he stopped scoring, same with Shezza, so frsutrating, cos the way to win is to buy players cheap and sell them for a profit when they go off the boil), although he did next to nothing this weekend, but he does have the most points and is a million less than Henry. Will be interesting to see if Henry gets most by the end. Recent form has been gloriously weak. And I have Forsell, who is good value. Dodd and Southgate make a good defence. Am going to get Svensson to replace the inadequate Taricco, and then alternate between 2 defence/5 midfield and 3/4 according to form and fixtures. Soton and Mid'bro defences have been very good, especially with goalscoring for the former with both Svensson and Dodd. Midfield is a mix of sheer class, Giggs and Lampard, and cheaper players who have been performing well, Pennant, Rae and Lazaridis. Was going to sell Pennant, but Leeds return to form makes him a better prospect, good player. Lazaridis may have to go.

You can enter the one team in different leagues, so next season, we should have a board one. There's enough of us for it to be fun, and it's great fun slagging people off both for their real and virtual teams.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I'm up for that next season, if the bees haven't gotten to me by then of course.

Yeah....3 preciousssss points!!! Is their light at the end of the tunnel? Blackburn at home next week, when notlob have got man u/lester have got southampton away and leeds are at newcassell....so who knows, maybe we can buck the trend.

(yes I am aware that is insanely optimistic)...

Anyone see the Observer's transfer rumour thing today? Said about Man U getting Schevchenko, that'd be a great buy! However, it also said they might get Gareth Southgate, whereas Arsenal are linked to Ayala, the best centre-back in the best league. So how is it cash-strapped Arsenal are looking at buying a Lamborghini, and moneybags Manyoo are thinking of buying a third-hand Cortina???
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I doubt very much if Arse will get Ayala, I thought he was on his way to Chelski. Wenger has said that he does have some transfer funds for January but no targets at the moment and that he is more than happy with the youth players that are coming through (Alidiare & Clichy particularly).
signed with love and vicious kisses
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Philip Senderos, who Wenger signed from Servette, will be a great centre-back, but in a couple of seasons....
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

Ayala sucks! .......he´s way too old and rusty....he should consider retirement......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Maybe he should go to Tottenham then.

Did I mention that Tottenham are now in the relegation zone?

Cheer Up David Pleat
You keep getting beat
And you don't need to go kerb crawling
To get another mawling
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

SLL: *Copious raspberry blowing in your general direction* :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I heard that Robbie Keane is going to Celtic next season to replace Larsson...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Here's the problem -

I'll be moving to England in March and being a sports fan - I'll need a team to follow. It seems that most of the brass in the office are Manch Utd fans - but to me that would be like rooting for the Yankees in baseball - I just can't do it. I won't support Arsenal because Hornby's a fan and he said some bad things about Dylan. I did buy a Chelsea scarf for my brother-in-law a few years ago (he grew up in Chelsea, Massachussetts) - but that's kind of a stupid reason to pick a team. I'll be living in the Basingstoke area - but it doesn't seem that geography plays a huge role in determining which team to support. A woman I currently work with suggested that I support the Derby Rams (her home squad) - but apparantly they aren't in the Premier League - relegated long ago it seems. I'm leaning toward Newcastle because of the beer - and to a lesser extent the Animals are from there (but I don't like Sting and he's from Newcastle - is he a fan of the team?)

I need your help.

Boy Without A Club
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Your nearest Premiership club to Basingstoke would be Southampton, but they're not likely to win much ever, if that's a reason not to support them. Their manager just quit for health reasons, so all the good football they were playing could quickly go down the drain.

Another nearby club is Portsmouth, who will probably get relegated from the prem league this year. But that's a shitty town and a shitty old ground, I'd say avoid that at all costs.

Newcastle is a good side, always in the top 7 teams, well supported, nice city. Long long way from Basingstoke though. You could support Liverpool, cos of EC if you wanted...maybe they'll win something again soon (especially if they sack their current manager).

Maybe you could have a look here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/football

and it might help you make a decision.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Remember - an important decision has to be made here. The team you choose will be your team for life.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Basingstoke is not a million miles from Reading, and they just might be in the Premiership next season - could make for an exciting few months ahead.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

There's only one team every EC fan should support, and if you don't know by now, well....there ain't no hope for you.

As Ready says, Reading are going great guns at the moment and are on course for promotion to the PL. London Irish rugby team share the same ground (Madjeski stadium) so you could dip your toe into rugby league at the same time. I've been to a couple of their matches and the atmosphere is intoxicating, much nicer than at a footy match.

Oh yeah, it happened a couple of weeks back, but was that a sound 1-0 win by my boys at Stamford Bridge, WSS?

Mwahahaha!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Oh yeah, it happened a couple of weeks back, but was that a sound 1-0 win by my boys at Stamford Bridge, WSS?

Mwahahaha!
Disappointing to say the least. That may have sealed our fate, as far as winning the League is concerned. At least we've been able to bounce back since then. We're very inconsistent, and when Duff is out we look lost. He and Mutu have impressed me most of all the players we bought this summer. If we had 11 Duffs, Terrys, Lampards and Mutus, we would walk the PL. Unfortunately, we have too many Melchiots and Gronkjaers and our defending against set-pieces has absolutely killed us.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Is Louis Saha the answer.....???????????????????????????????????

I think you're right, Chelsea's defensive play is where they lose out, they don't seem to 'defend from the front' (to use an old adage)...what you need is a world class centre-back.

What a shame Colin Hendry has retired :lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:Is Louis Saha the answer.....???????????????????????????????????

I think you're right, Chelsea's defensive play is where they lose out, they don't seem to 'defend from the front' (to use an old adage)...what you need is a world class centre-back.

What a shame Colin Hendry has retired :lol:
I don't think we need another striker. Desailly has been very poor this season. I would like to see us bring someone in to replace him. And a right-side midfielder would be nice too. Gronk has loads of pace but can't cross a ball to save his life.

I like Ranieri a lot but I'm beginning to wonder whether he's the right guy to get the most out of these players. He's made some very strange decisions this season and at this point I don't think the team has the kind of discipline that you need to win the League. I just hope that if they do get rid of Claudio we don't end up with SGE. Can't stand him.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

laughingcrow wrote:Is Louis Saha the answer.....???????????????????????????????????:
It depends on what the question was! Knowing me knowing you, Saha...
laughingcrow wrote:What a shame Colin Hendry has retired :lol:
Or Emlyn Hughes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

BWAP - Basingstoke Town are in the Ryman Premier Division, pull in regular crowds of 300/400 and if they gain five successive promotions they will be in the Premiership (unlikely this season as they are solidly mid to lower in the league. If you ever intend attending matches I suggest Southampton or one of the London teams (very hard to get tickets for Arsenal & Chelsea), or Reading who are one division down.

PoP Bunny - Lond Irish play Rugby Union nit Rugby League. I too have been to a few games, but not this season so far. Went a couple of years ago on St Paddyd day and they broke the world record for the number of pints of Guinness sold.

Saha's agent has said that will only go to Manu.

What's all the misery about Chelsea, they have always been a fair weather team and regularly drop points every winter when the weather turns wet/cold. Ranieri has done a good job and should not be knocked, he has to be given until the end of the 2004/05 season to prove himself. Not many players (especially from abroad) do well in their first season at a new club. Agree that Duff has been Chelski's key player this season and they have missed him, but he is now back and so things may pick up. Mutu has looked good but has missed too many chances, Haisslebaink is still your top scoreer and he hardly seems to start. Geremi is also a good player who needs to have a run in the team.
It would be difficult to improve upon Terry and Gallas at the back, and Veron (remember him?) is meant to be playing on the right.

You in Reading full time now Bunny?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I agree Geremi has looked outstanding, as has Terry, Duff and Lampard. I think Ranieri is deemed as more of a coach than a manager, so maybe he can't get the best out of his players mentally. It certainly seems like he screwed up with Zenden, an absolute class player turned to mince.