On Victimization

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
A rope leash

Joy!

Post by A rope leash »

Let Festivus begin!

(By the way, I can't believe anyone from Texas isn't used to hearing the phrase "...sucking the chrome off a ball hitch". I'm pretty sure it's a common saying in Texas, and it may have originated from there. As for Mexican whores, they do exist, so why can't they be mentioned? If someone told a Mexican prostitute that she could suck the chrome off of a ball hitch, she might not be as offended as you might think. So why should it offend you? Prostitution has been a fact on Earth for a very long time. Prostitutes exist on the planet. Why can't we talk about them?)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Rope,

The commonness of an expression is not the point. It was common in the deep south (and really, the north) to use the 'n' word to refer to African Americans. But it was wrong to so. And the point isn't so much the fact of talking about prostitutes as the degrading way in which the whole thing was phrased, as well as the misogynist and racist (not to mention classist) undertones. I'm sure you already know that, and this answer, like your question, is merely academic.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

People -

Cope was never looking for any non-consenting adults to victimize sexually. Lighten up. The "Mexican Whore" on his Christmas list followed his wish for a bottle of tequila. I'm sure if he wanted a bottle of vodka, "Russian Whore" would have followed - 6 pack of Pabst and a "Milwaukee Whore" - etc. You guys take everything out of context.

"Sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch" and "Poontang" are funny expressions. They made me laugh - almost as hard as Bamboo's picture of Mr. Bean.

"... a hoity-toity john and want a highly skilled whore, stick to your enlightened, well-paid, health-insured Danish ones." was also pretty funny. - but Mug - you're jumping to the conclusion that well paid, highly skilled Mexican working girls don't exist. Interesting - would you find "Japanese Whore" or "Spanish Whore" equally racist? Or is "Mexican Whore" more racist because of the economic circumstances in Latin America? I certainly am not getting the impression that Cope is a racist. More problematic is his defense of Sting and the Grateful Dead.

Did you hear about the Polish hockey team?

They drowned during spring training.

Anyone offended?

I'm a little uncomfortable with the political correctness coming from Noise and Lipstick. I value their comments on music, literature, travel, love etc - but I admit that I there's a sense of "Here we go again" with the some of their "family values" posts.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I think this can be settles quite easily...

Noise and Cope engage in a battle of online snap, Cope using playing cards with nudie ladies on the back, Noise using the traditional design playing cards...the loser has to wear a big sign saying ''x is the bestest and owns me'' and then has to whistle Yankee Doodle Dandy whilst standing one legged on a wonky chair in a thunderstorm with their naked posterior thrust into the wind for all to see. A picture of which is then posted onto a 'reader's husbands' website.

Anyone else agree?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

BWAP,

I'm sorry my posts make you feel uncomfortable. I think it's funny that you use terms like "politically correct" and "family values"--two terms that have so much hyperbolic political spin to them as to be virtually meaningless, but which are nevertheless employed with all too much regularity.

All,
For the record, I explicitly said that Cope was free to post what he wanted, but that I would feel free to react. People act like I'm asking Taz and Blue Chair to ban the guy, which I have never done. I made a comment, he asked me to explain what prompted the comment (and he asked for an honest answer), so I tried to give him one. It led to quite an exchange, and some people grew tired of reading it. So skip it. I skip the footy thread every day, as I care not a wit about football (from either continent). But to categorize the comments that have been made as "noise and lipstick's" just because we're married and are basically on the same page ignores the fact that several others have expressed the same sentiments. People have been parsing phrases like "mexican whore" and "trailer hitch" instead of focusing on the central issue at hand, which is respect. And in a community based solely on words, the words you use are really important. People don't like to be told that something they've said is offensive, but neither do people like being offended. Evidently, some don't like me to talk about what offends me. I don't like to hear derogatory comments about different races, ethnicities, women and Christians. And I'll say so when I damn well please.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Noise -

Who exactly do you mean by "they"? I'm not representing any group here, just myself.

I think you can be overly pc at times, and I'm bothered by that. Perhaps uncomfortable was the wrong word to use.

By all means, keep on posting whatever you like (acknowledging my opinion has little bearing on what you'd post, nor should it) - I've never felt abused, victimized or offended by any of your messages, I just disagree with many of them.

I'm feeling like you're jumping on Cope rather harshly - and Noise, c'mon - you're relentless in your responses to folks who offer opinions that are contrary to yours - and that can be frustrating.
Boy With A Problem

For the record -

my post above is in response to a previous post by Noise that was pulled and replaced by the one that now appears above my response (if you follow me) - because some of what I said in my response now doesn't make much sense, specifically my reference to "they".

Noise's initial response wasn't up for very long and I'm sure he had no idea I was typing a reply as he was rethinking what he'd said - not that it was radically different than what is there now - it just kind of makes me look more nonsensical than usual.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
A rope leash

Cyber tavern

Post by A rope leash »

Sometimes I think of this board in the same way I would the corner bar. If somebody mouths-off and gets their ass kicked, then so be it.

It happens all the time. Once in a while, law enforcement gets involved.

Whaddaryagonnado?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

BWAP,

I wasn't directing any "they" statements at you specifically. What I addressed to you alone I meant for you alone--that I'm sorry I made you uncomfortable, but that I'm not sure I agree with your categorizations. No big deal. The bulk of that last post was an attempt to clarify some points for a lot of people, so I addressed them to all. I think the only one in there that directly bears on you is the bit about "noise and lipstick," and all I'm saying there is that PC or not, I don't think we're alone.

I don't think I've been too hard on Cope. I think I answered his question and then when he raised various objections, I answered those, too. But I confess to being persistent in trying to prove my point, not just here but most everywhere. (The one you should pity there isn't Cope; it's Lipstick.) That's something for me to work on.
--William Shakespeare
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

PS Sorry about that, BWAP. I didn't mean to confuse. My initial response was basically a flip version of what stands there now. I decided that you had raised serious points and that they deserved a serious answer. But, as you say, the substance was basically the same.
--William Shakespeare
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Qualifier: I reply to this one point cause I feel strongly about it; overall I think all is well around here; it's healthy discussion, and Lipstick was respectful enough to take it off another thread, and no one needs to read it, much less engage it, if they don't want to.. End of story. Now, my one point:
Boy With A Problem wrote: Mug - you're jumping to the conclusion that well paid, highly skilled Mexican working girls don't exist. Interesting - would you find "Japanese Whore" or "Spanish Whore" equally racist? Or is "Mexican Whore" more racist because of the economic circumstances in Latin America?
Yup, I think it is. More denegrating than racist strictly speaking, but I don't think it's an accident, either, that the poorest and most exploited workers, including and perhaps especially sex workers, are what we here would call people of color. I'm very much in favor of legalized prostitution, where the worker gets pay for skill and experience, and is protected on the job,and gets benefits off the job. I'd say the same of all jobs and workers. Sex work ain''t the worst but it's pretty bad in most places, and the poorer the person rendering the services, the worse the conditions are, and vice versa, cause that's the nature of exploitation. An interesting question, this stuff.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

HEEEEEEY Self MADE....don't make assumptions of my attitudes based on one sentence! I love Mexico and Mexicans....my parents live in Mexico and I have spent a lot of my life there....the choice of Mexican whore was meant as a compliment! I was just being nostalgic.

Now, as for prostitution....I don't pay for sex, as I think it is degrading for myself to pay someone to spend time with me, let alone "let me" touch them in a sexual way. YES prostitutes are exploited, and a legalization of prostitution cleans things up a bit. Economic hardship and desparation are major causes of prostitution. I have of course met women in Denmark who were part time call girls, who did it because it was easy money (in their opinion) and they could buy cool things. So, prostitution as a choice is ok, but not out of desparation....I'm in 100% agreement with you! By the way, I do not think that prostitution is imoral if the women (or men) choose it as a profession. On the contrary....one must realize that JOHN's are also victims!!! They get conned in a way......! A number of my friends are prostitutes in Denmark....they laugh at the pathetic men who visit them.......they call them "french fries".(Or freedom fries for the patriotic)...I don't know why.....please don't jump to conclusions!!! Words are words...they are powerful, but they also should create discussion....food for thought....debate......they should provoke.....we can't sit back and act as if this stuff does not exist.....it will never go away and should it???
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Please allow me the luxury of a few inarticulate comments:

I think that too much power is granted to "words" here. Since, for the most part, no one amongst us has the power to confirm that any of the others actually believes or acts in accordance with the "image" presented, I don't feel like the words have the power to add or detract. Others have pointed out that on an anonymous board, each of us can be whomever we choose. Therefore, while I feel that some comments, and not just in reference to this thread, are less than diplomatic, I just can't get my panties in a twist about them. I might not find them humorous, and I might find some of the downright offensive, but I have to choose to expend energy in directions more productive than trying to persuade imaginary people, because that's what we really are in this cyber-realm, that they are abusing me. I have seen very little of what I would consider personal attacks. Some don't see it this way, and I respect that.

Ignoring bad behavior is not the same as condoning it. Sometimes, the best way to extinguish bad behavior is to withold the secondary gain.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hasn't this conversation been done to death by now? Let it go, or go get some therapy....all of you, your problems can't be fixed here. It's a bulletin board for Pete's sake, not the end all be all of the planet. Buy a vowel!!

Bamboo.....THAT WAS LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY!! I HAD TEARS IN MY FREAKIN EYES!!!

VG, your throne has been toppled. :lol:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Misha..I thought you were dark??? don't you like KAOS???
Misha

Post by Misha »

Cope....

Thought I was dark? What the hell does that mean? Maybe I missed somethin, but I don't get it.

Do I like chaos.....or what is KAOS?

I'm mystified.

Could be my wicked cold.....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Boy With A Problem

KAOS is the sinister organization run by Siegfried (Bernie Koppel also Doc on the Love Boat and Donald Hollinger's co-worker and earlier Ann Marie's neighbor on That Girl!) . Their arch enemies are the agents of CONTROL (led by the Chief and his star agent Maxwell Smart (Agent 86) and Max's love interest Agent 99).

I'm not sure how you fit in here either Misha.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Misha

Post by Misha »

WOW!! A Get Smart reference? No wonder I don't get it, unless he's calling me Agent 99, then I'm in!!!! :lol:

What the hell is Cope on over there, anyway?
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

maybe it's a reference to chaos theory--misha wipes her nose in CA and a swarm of African honey bees is wiped out in Ghana...
Like me, the "g" is silent.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Copenhagen Fan wrote:Misha..I thought you were dark??? don't you like KAOS???
No, Cope, that was ME, as you recall, on the "monkey hugging a puppy" thread in the "Photo Gallery"...
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Misha

Post by Misha »

Dear Ghana,

Sorry about the bees, but I've had a bit of a cold lately.

Will try to make up for it when I blow my nose.

Sincerely,
Misha in CA

:wink:

Just for you MS..... :lol:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

ooooh yeah...Sulky is the dark one 8) nice :lol:
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

sorry...chaos is spelled KAOS in Danish....I get confused once in a while...! But I love the Get Smart reference