12 coloured inches

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

12 coloured inches

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No, this thread isn't a homage to Cope, just to say that someone recently lent me a 12" on green vinyl of Green Shirt. Just wondering if it's at all rare, and if it's the only coloured vinyl, or 12" at lease, that Elv put out.

Bizarre item. © 1985 on F-Beat. Totally pointless and barely longer 'extended mix' of GS done by Colin Fairley on one side, and regular GS + Beyond Belief on t'other.

What possessed him/thim? What was the point, 6 years after GS was first out?
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Green Shirt was released as a single in 1985 to promote The Best of Elvis Costello - The Man.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
martinfoyle

Re: 12 coloured inches

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:No, this thread isn't a homage to Cope, just to say that someone recently lent me a 12" on green vinyl of Green Shirt. Just wondering if it's at all rare, and if it's the only coloured vinyl, or 12" at lease, that Elv put out.

Bizarre item. © 1985 on F-Beat. Totally pointless and barely longer 'extended mix' of GS done by Colin Fairley on one side, and regular GS + Beyond Belief on t'other.

What possessed him/thim? What was the point, 6 years after GS was first out?
I too have a copy of this atrocity. As Dr. J writes, it was put out as a single from the Telstar best of,
http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/offi ... fo_a06.htm
that came out in 1985. Probably the worst EC remix, the best being Jellybean Benitz remix of EIWTB, which bizarrely is not on the recent singles collection, probably because it was never given a UK release. Now that 12 inch is worth having.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

As far as I know it is the only coloured vinyl commercial record Elvis has put out. He did have a promo 7" red vinyl of My Funny Valentine which was mainly given out at a Valentine's show in (I think) 1979.

I think all of the EC remixes are pretty pointless and, I have to say, dull. As most 12" mixes were, in the 1980s, for dancefloors, EC&TA remixes didn't really fit the bill and I daresay were never played in nightclubs.

Who can safely say that they put these remixes regularly on their turntable? I bought them (because you just do), listened to them a few times and then that was it.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I recommend the 12" version of Goodnight Tonight by Wings.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

LessThanZero wrote:I recommend the 12" version of Goodnight Tonight by Wings.
A stone classic. The b-side, Daytime Nightime Suffering, is even better. Must dig out that vinyl.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Daytime Nighttime Suffering" is great! "Goodnight Tonight" I can probably do without :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.