Pophead

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Pophead

Post by pophead2k »

Hey folks, if you're interested, here's a link to my ReverbNation music page:

http://www.reverbnation.com/davebecker

Some Costellian power pop for you to enjoy. I realize this should be on the Tin Pan Alley page, but it seems a bit like a ghost town over there...
Jack of All Parades

Re: Pophead

Post by Jack of All Parades »

That was an unexpected treat and great fun. You have done something that many talk about, including myself, but too few accomplish and that is put thought to sound. To even write the most rudimentary of tunes and couple them with words is exceedingly difficult. There are moments in many of these songs, as I have played them all afternoon, where I think you come alive and that is an accomplishment.

Not so certain I hear Costello but most definitely hear a hero of yours, John Wesley Harding, with an occasional dash of the Smithereens. I hear Wes definitely in your vocals and in many of the melodies of many of the songs. Enjoyed the harmonies and the piano/organ player is skilled.

Think I prefer your ballads and midtempo numbers best. Songs like Her Heart's on a Sting and Motel Darkness have a definite appeal. Like the playing with the image of blankness and void in the motel but not certain if it gets properly developed. Your harmonies in Blank are superb. Love the humor in Off White Wedding[not certain about the mariachi horns] and I can definitely hear Wes doing that song. Find Drug a strong closer and I like the mood you set with the sounds and the suffocating feeling that one might have equating love as a narcotic.

That was fun and thank you for sharing. You are to be applauded and I sincerely hope the stronger material opens doors for you.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Many thanks for the thoughtful feedback Chris!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

And speaking of ghost towns...

[tumbleweeds.....]
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

As I just posted about cowboys- not for lack of trying- probably that 'Sjoholm' effect. Sorry I can't clear out all the tumbleweeds.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

:D