Pretty words don't mean much anymore

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Danny writes-

The Poet's Rest has gotto be a pub, outside which the bus burst into flames

And so it is . In Slane , Co. Meath it would be on the route of that tortuous seven hour bus journey from Dublin to Letterkenny that Elvis took at one point in the 1980`s - then he learned to drive.

see
http://meath.goireland.com/scripts/low/ ... emises.htm
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Oh nice one John...

that bus wouldn't have happened to burst into flames after the arduous journey would it?
Misha

Post by Misha »

Ok, a friend of mine yesterday came in and said:

"She lives on poetry" for she lives on Pony St.....still laughing abou that one....warms the cockles of my heart....

My one confession......13 Steps Lead Down:

And everyone's a prisoner of Bedouin need

I have no idea how that turns into the real lyrics of prisoner of paper and glue

Must buy q-tips.....
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Back in the 80s, whilst promoting Spike, Elvis explained some of the lyrics to Deep Dark Truthful Mirror on a very pretentious artsy programme - he still left me baffled.

Anyway, the one bit I did comprehend was when he said was watching a nature programme on TV when the David Attenborough style narrator was whispering:

".........and this butterfly is seen here feeding on the hand of a dead monkey".

Elvis thought this to be a very beautiful phrase and immortalised it in song.
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just to get literal for a second, aren't "fish fingers" in the UK what we in the states call "fish sticks", those bits of frozen fishy-substance which is about the fish most children will eat?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Just to get literal for a second, aren't "fish fingers" in the UK what we in the states call "fish sticks", those bits of deep-fried, usually frozen fishy-substance which is about the fish most children will eat?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yep they are... fish fingers are blocks of processed fish (mainly offal they can't package) in batter or breadcrumbs. We have chicksticks too, which surprisingly are the same but with chicken.

I don't eat fish though, I take an omega oil supplement and avoid pushing the deplenished north atlantic cod populations to the brink of extinction, and also fish are the most suceptible vertebrates to heavy metal/pollutant poisoning because of their respiratory technique.

Why did I write that? You can tell Ive been stuck in a lab all day talking about bird sperm.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

That phrase about bird sperm goes well here in the "pretty words" thread, crow. Good choice. :wink: