BURNING QUESTIONS

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

*goes up to rope leash. touches nerve. laughs ass off.*
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

A rope leash wrote: Anybody else wanna fuck with the dog?
Well now I don't know. That dog's kinda cute. :wink:
I'm not angry anymore....
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

to all this, i reply:

fnord.

"A serious young man found the conflicts of mid 20th Century America
confusing. He went to many people seeking a way of resolving within himself the discords that troubled him, but he remained troubled.

One night in a coffee house, a self-ordained Zen Master said to him, "go to the dilapidated mansion you will find at this address which I have written down for you. Do not speak to those who live there; you must remain silent until the moon rises tomorrow night. Go to the large room on the right of the main hallway, sit in the lotus position on top of the rubble in the northeast corner, face the corner, and meditate."

He did just as the Zen Master instructed. His meditation was frequently interrupted by worries. He worried whether or not the rest of the plumbing fixtures would fall from the second floor bathroom to join the pipes and other trash he was sitting on. He worried how would he know when the moon rose on the next night. He worried about what the people who walked through the room said about him.

His worrying and meditation were disturbed when, as if in a test of his
faith, ordure fell from the second floor onto him. At that time two people
walked into the room. The first asked the second who the man was sitting
there was. The second replied "Some say he is a holy man. Others say he is a shithead."

Hearing this, the man was enlightened."
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I guess you could say I am a kind of lapsed Catholic, so it seems to me that some people's definition of "repent" is rather juvenile. This is the definition that comes closest to the Catholic notion:

repent:
To make a change for the better as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.

Obviously this involves more than just saying "Oops sorry for the murders". It means that a person has genuinely, irrevokably changed for the better. Anything short of this cannot be viewed as repentance.

Catholism can be stupid, but it's not THAT stupid.

From a Society perspective, when Believers feel that they can be given a second chance to atone for their sins, this provides a real incentive to become a better citizen. If there was no concept of forgiveness then society would suffer as a result.
Where's North from 'ere?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

stormwarning wrote: repent:
To make a change for the better as a result of remorse or contrition for one's sins.

Obviously this involves more than just saying "Oops sorry for the murders". It means that a person has genuinely, irrevokably changed for the better. Anything short of this cannot be viewed as repentance.
Hmmmm......this is also open to debate. What about if a murderer or child abuser KNOWS its wrong to do what they are doing and is genuinely sorry and feel guilty and tries not to do it so often but just cant help themselves doing it again? Do they get to go to heaven then? :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Well first of all there isn't really a heaven to get into....

If somebody repeats such a crime knowing that it is wrong then they have not truly "repented" in the religious sense. In this situation psychiatric help is of far more use than any bible. That's the thing you see, christianity talks about good and bad, but isn't very tolerant of people who have problems distinguishing between the two. It wasn't too long ago that people with psychiatric problems were believed to be possessed by the devil - medicine has moved on but the Church is lagging behind in that respect.
Where's North from 'ere?
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

STORMW: You are so right there! Thats another thing - how many people have died in witch hunts in the church's hands?

You dont think there is a heaven to get into then? - what do you believe happens when you die?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

What happens when we die ? Well if we're lucky the record companies will re-release our back catalogue. But for the rest of us, I guess we only live on in the databases of our creditors.
Where's North from 'ere?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh, come on storm. It's gotta be better than that. :o
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

You mean, like we get to spend eternity surrounded by righteous people ? Where's the fun in that ?
Where's North from 'ere?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, at least somewhere listening to some good Elvis Costello music. :)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I'm working with some of the righteous and let me tell you, it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I always picture heaven like that Twilight Zone episode where the guy(is it Buddy Ebsen?) is hunting with his dog and they won't let his dog in so he won't go--turns out that was hell. Anyway, I think heaven is a lot of different things. If it's all harps and hymns, count me out. But God, as I concieve of him--and there's a whole argument that I can't possibly have any inkling of him--what use would he have for that?

And that concludes my latest exhibition of stupidity and naivete.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

In the Greek, the word translated "repent" implies (sorryt o be gross here) vomit and repulsion. As if the evil of your deeds so overwhelms you that it literally makes you sick and causes you to unflinchingly turn away from them and move in the opposite direction.

Saying, "sorry for all the killing," then wouldn't be repentance.

I am not entering an argument about what all this means in terms of theology, but rather making an observation on linguistics. I refuse, as a great American once said, to defend my postion by bitching about it on an EC fan message board.

But when grammar is challenged, watch out.

(How long will it be before someone corrects a bit of grammar in this post?)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

STORMW: Im not going to heaven im going to hell - who wants to be good all the time?....no fun in that! :twisted:

NOISE: I hope we dont get a teacher on here correcting all our bad grammar or I might have to cease posting due to being kept in at break time to correct it all! Dang it we need a spell check on here!! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

If being good all the time had anything at all with "going to heaven," we'd all be doomed.

I promise not to correct your spelling, if you don't correct mine. :wink:
--William Shakespeare
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

storm wrote -
You mean, like we get to spend eternity surrounded by righteous people ? Where's the fun in that ?
Yeah, I never liked Unchained Melody either! :lol:
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

NOISE: Its a deal! Love your avatar by the way - I have a few of the original proofs for that LP cover!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Got this avatar from the one and only bambooneedle. Thanks, mate.
--William Shakespeare
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

stormwarning wrote: repent:

noiseradio wrote: In the Greek, the word translated "repent" implies (sorryt o be gross here) vomit and repulsion. As if the evil of your deeds so overwhelms you that it literally makes you sick and causes you to unflinchingly turn away from them and move in the opposite direction.

Saying, "sorry for all the killing," then wouldn't be repentance

I am not entering an argument about what all this means in terms of theology, but rather making an observation on linguistics. I refuse, as a great American once said, to defend my postion by bitching about it on an EC fan message board.

But when grammar is challenged, watch out.
Noise, haven't you just reiterated my opinion, but changed the words a little and added a more extreme definition of "repent" (vomit and repulsion vs. remorse and contrition) ? Where's the fun in that ? Blimey, I thought there was more to linguistics than just paraphrasing....
Where's North from 'ere?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

It was a pressure and a plividge noise.

Gilli, I've got a US LP of TYM and it has a different shot. He's sort of crouched behind the camera, holding it, with his mouth just behind it. Do you have that one? Was that the standard US issue, anybody know? It's in mint condition, though I wouldn't sell it or anything.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

noiseradio wrote:In the Greek, the word translated "repent" implies (sorryt o be gross here) vomit and repulsion.
CLIP----------------------no way...I can't believe I wrote that...I must have been way too bored. must repent for my bad taste... :oops:
Last edited by Copenhagen Fan on Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Stormwarning,

Yes, I was just trying to say that the entimology of "repent" supports your earlier post. Sorry that wasn't clearer.
--William Shakespeare
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

BAMBOO: I have four 8x10"photos in all from the TYM photoshoot. Two of them are in different poses with the camera and the other 2 are him on his own posing. I assume these are from the same photo shoot as he is wearing the same suit and shirt. Probably they took a series of different photos and chose the best.

I also have the old LP version of TYM bought when it was released way back then.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
A rope leash

You have them, I want them

Post by A rope leash »

Those are some of my favorite Elvis pics.

I hope someday to take up Baptist preaching, so I can have them all barfing up sins. My church would have to be some sort of utilitarian hose-out affair...
bambooneedle

burning question

Post by bambooneedle »

EC: "Got any other background colours?"

Studio assistant: "No, only monkey-shit brown."

EC: "Ok, that'll just have to do".