Watching EC perform "Black & White World" made me think...

Pretty self-explanatory
cwr

Watching EC perform "Black & White World" made me think...

Post by cwr »

... how many GREAT Costello songs that he simply never has time to revisit, not even on his many many tours where he pulls out plenty of songs from his back catalog. Even a masterful song like "New Lace Sleeves" only shows up occasionally in the setlist-- for most other songwriters, if they had a "New Lace Sleeves" in their arsenal, they'd play it every night!

Almost every single Costello album has AT LEAST one or two amazing songs that simply NEVER gets revisited. It's actually a lot more than one or two, in most cases. And that's not even counting all the b-sides! So many songs.

I wonder if he'll ever do a tour where he only plays the obscure ones. I mean, at this point, he has an audience of concertgoers who would probably flip for a "B-Sides and Deep Cuts" tour, right? As long as it were advertised that way to warn off the drunk lady yelling out for "Alison" (she'll show up anyway.)

I want to hear him play "Hoover Factory" and "Next Time Round" and "The Bridge I Burned" and "Impatience"! Especially "Impatience"! Why he has passed up so many opportunities to play that (like when he toured with the horn section and it would have sounded great) boggles my mind...
verbal gymnastics

Re: Watching EC perform "Black & White World" made me think.

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He's got a lot of B sides, outtakes and filler tracks that a lot of artists would kill for
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cool, let's name some faves:

HEATHEN TOWN
BABY'S GOT A BRAND NEW HAIRDO
FLIRTING KIND
SO YOUNG
BASEMENT KISS
DADDY CAN I TURN THIS?
IN ANOTHER ROOM
TINY STEPS
WONDERING
THE GREATEST LOVE.....how's that for the first ten GREAT b's or obscures that i thought about.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have often thought that a plausable tour could be built off of one his main strengths- as we are reminded yet again in the New Yorker profile- that of being a particularly strong writer about love-as the article stated "Costello has always written abundantly and intricately about love and lust, infidelity and betrayal, and all the tawdry pleasures and difficulties that arise out of them." Could call it the 'Love and Lust" tour!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Love & Lust Tour, absolutely. I'd camp out all night for those tickets.

Perhaps he would play some of these...

Clowntime Is Over #2
Dr. Luther's Assistant
Two Little Hitlers
Sunday's Best
Ghost Train
Heathen Town
Turning The Town Red
Inch By Inch
Next Time 'Round
Coal Train Robberies
Rocking Horse Road
Tart
In Another Room
Harry Worth
Motel Matches
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:...HEATHEN TOWN...
...FLIRTING KIND...
Two of his best.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

bronxapostle wrote:cool, let's name some faves:
IN ANOTHER ROOM
He played this in Sydney when I saw him last October.

I'm hoping he'll drag out some of these tunes when I see him next year:

MOODS FOR MODERNS (when did he last play this?)
WAVE A WHITE FLAG
OPPORTUNITY
SIX FINGERED MAN
NEEDLE TIME
BRILLIANT DISGUISE
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ypsilanti wrote
Clowntime Is Over #2
Dr. Luther's Assistant
Two Little Hitlers
Sunday's Best
Ghost Train
Heathen Town
Turning The Town Red
Inch By Inch
Next Time 'Round
Coal Train Robberies
Rocking Horse Road
Tart
In Another Room
Harry Worth
Motel Matches
You must be my long lost twin - amazing just about my complete list with the addition of Sweet Pear and When I Was Cruel
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

sulky lad wrote:Ypsilanti wrote
Clowntime Is Over #2
Dr. Luther's Assistant
Two Little Hitlers
Sunday's Best
Ghost Train
Heathen Town
Turning The Town Red
Inch By Inch
Next Time 'Round
Coal Train Robberies
Rocking Horse Road
Tart
In Another Room
Harry Worth
Motel Matches
You must be my long lost twin - amazing just about my complete list with the addition of Sweet Pear and When I Was Cruel
:) Love both of those too!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

A few 'obscurities' I feel lucky to have heard live from the man:

Sweet Pear (MLAR tour in Berkeley, CA; EC played the beautiful guitar solo on a nice fat hollow body Gretsch or something like it)
Secondary Modern and Strict Time (the 'Best of' tour a couple of years ago in Washington DC)
Tears Before Bedtime (RIR tour in Vienna, VA)
Still Too Soon to Know (BY and orchestral tour with SN; Memphis, TN and Cary, NC respectively)

I would love to hear a live version of Satellite with a less fussy arrangement or my all time favorite, You Tripped at Every Step, with the Sugarcanes.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cool pophead. didn't think of it from the angle of if i had seen any of the ones i mentioned so i did catch four of my ten. and all of the ones you listed EXCEPT sweet pear...way cool! and i too would LOVE a live SATELLITE! come on folks, let's hear what YOU think deserves an unearthing by E live SOON!
jardine

Post by jardine »

i'd like to see a live performance of North, with the song of the same name, impatience, and young hung the moon as encores. especially since hearing you hung the moon on the new c.d. i think he could better interpret those North songs now. I LOVE north, but it always seemed as if he hadn't quite lived with some of the songs for long enough to find their "flex" and turns...
cwr

Post by cwr »

I was disappointed that he didn't ask Burt Bacharach to write arrangements for both "Satelite" and "The Flirting Kind" back when they were playing full orchestra shows together, since those were two songs that EC confessed to trying to imitate a little of Burt's style. Would've been fascinating to hear what Burt might have heard in them...
jardine

Post by jardine »

Yes and thanks, didn't know that about flirting kind!

elvis' talk about standing in a circle with the new c.d. and facing each other when they recorded reminded me most of sinatra at his peak (even the fedora) standing amidst the orchestra and recording basically live. does anyone know how North (the c.d.) was recorded? like this, or overdubbed vocals afterwards????
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I got to see EC play "Black and White World" solo in Cardiff this year, where he also treated us to a solo version of "Suit of Lights", a solo take on "Poison Moon" - one of the Honky Tonk demos and "All or Nothing at All" - an obscure cover . I also saw him dust off "King of Confidence" in Birmingham - a song that he had not played live for 23 years. At this year's Meltdown festival, perhaps more predictably, I saw him join Richard Thompson in playing "End of the Rainbow" - another song that he'd not played ive since 1986.

Elvis does like to revisit his back catalogue. In contrast to the above, across five concerts this summer I saw him play "Oliver's Army" only once. If you've got a favourite, I would encourage you to seek out Elvis back stage after a gig and tell him what it is. You never know....

My wish list would include:

Basement Kiss (or anything from "The Gwendolyn Letters"
Clowntime is over #2,
The Comedians,
Couldn't call it unexpected #4,
Just a memory,
Rocking Horse Road,
The Scarlet Tide,
Uncomplicated,

and for a "cover" version - Raglan Road. His version of that performed with the Brodsky Quartet last year was sensational.

Long may Elvis write new songs, rearrange his "hits" for bands, orchestras or solo performance, and revisit his back catalogue so that it remains a goldmine, rather than a millstone round his neck.

""Many people build a career on just one or two songs," he says, with a degree of pride and self-mockery. "I have 400 of the fuckers." (EC interviewed by Tim Adams for The Observer, London October 2010 http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/oc ... -tim-adams

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:
I'm hoping he'll drag out some of these tunes when I see him next year:

MOODS FOR MODERNS (when did he last play this?)
Your reliable source for all such queries is the Costello performance index, part of the Homepage wiki, here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... nce_Index/

According to the Perfomance index Mood for Moderns was last played live in June 1980 at Kings College Cambridge around the time I was finishing my A levels. Instrumental Snippets have surfaced more recently, including an Imposters gig in Oxford (Mississippi) in 2004, so don't give up hope.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

See what I started :lol:

This one can run and run...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Has Elvis ever done an "album show", ie, play an entire album from start to finish? Springsteen and Steely Dan, among others, did these recently, and I love the concept. Pick an album, any one, and I'd be there in a heartbeat. With the 'Canes, Imposters, The Roots, whoever...

For starters, I'd take Get Happy!! with the Imposters.
krm

Post by krm »

My aim is true on a benefit gig for Richard de Lone a few years back.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

An album show !!
Elvis only has 7 weeks to get Bruce's phone number if he's going to celebrate 30 tears since Get Happy and perform that live :lol: :roll:
Of course, if Bruce is still finding his existential truth up a mountain somewhere, my Epiphone is already in tune and I know Get Happy back to front - though some might say my playing sounds like that too. :oops: