T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis, album release Oct. '11

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis, album release Oct. '11

Post by johnfoyle »

Mike H. posts to listserv.-

Apparently they won't make their debut at Bridge!

http://tboneburnett.com/TSCR/index.html

T Bone Burnett will premiere The Speaking Clock Revue – a multi-artist concert extravaganza – on October 16 at the Wang Center in Boston and October 20 at the Beacon Theater in New York City.
Both evenings of the Revue will feature performances by Elton John & Leon Russell, John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello, Gregg Allman, Ralph Stanley, Jeff Bridges, Punch Brothers, Karen Elson, and newcomers The Secret Sisters. In addition, Neko Case and Jim James from My Morning Jacket will join the lineup in Boston and New York respectively.

The concerts will be presented in a revue format with a house band consisting of the players featured on numerous Burnett-produced recordings. Tickets for The Speaking Clock Revue will go on sale Monday, September 27 at noon, through Ticketmaster.

This edition of The Speaking Clock Revue is presented with Participant Media in conjunction with the release of the documentary film Waiting For “Superman”, from Academy Award-winning filmmaker Davis Guggenheim (An Inconvenient Truth, It Might Get Loud), which follows a handful of promising students through a U.S. public school system and offers hope by exploring innovative approaches by education reformers who refuse to leave their students behind. All net proceeds from these shows will be donated to The Participant Foundation to support music and arts education programming in public schools.

In conceiving The Speaking Clock Revue, Burnett aims to bring to the live stage a musical event that conveys the excitement he and his fellow musicians experience when creating music in the recording studio. “The privacy and the intimacy of the studio afford artists the freedom to create, but something thrilling happens in getting away from the machines and into the live communication of real time storytelling in the larger community. The first tour I went on, my first job in show business, was on The Rolling Thunder Revue, and I've come back to that type of collaborative and extraordinarily rewarding experience from time to time. We are looking forward with great anticipation to getting The Speaking Clock Revue up and running this fall and continuing it in the years to come,” he said.

Burnett’s decision to join with Participant Media to donate all net proceeds from the concerts to support music and arts education came after he saw an early screening of Waiting for ”Superman”. As he explains, “This film deals most powerfully with the troubling state of public education in the United States, and offers solutions and the opportunity to be part of those solutions. I am very grateful to the musicians who are giving so generously of their time and talents for these shows, and for joining with the Participant Foundations to work for a better world.”

“T-Bone has joined with an amazing lineup of musical artists who believe music and arts education should be available to every student in America.” said Jim Berk, CEO of Participant Media and the Participant Foundation, “These two live events, inspired by Waiting for“Superman”, provide the chance for us to join together to insure that this occurs” T Bone Burnett is a 10-time Grammy Award winner whose 40 years of experience in music and entertainment have earned him an unparalleled reputation as a first-rate innovative artist, songwriter, producer, performer, concert producer, record company owner and artists’ advocate.

Burnett has recently collaborated with nearly all of the performers on The Speaking Clock Revue. The Union, from Elton John and Leon Russell was produced by Burnett and will be released October 17 on Decca Records. John Mellencamp’s No Better Than This was produced by Burnett, in mono, and was the first such album in 46 years to hit the Billboard Top 10 when it was released August 17 on Rounder Records.

Elvis Costello’s most recent album, Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, and his forthcoming National Ransom, both on Concord Records, were produced by Burnett. Gregg Allman’s first solo album since 1997 was produced by Burnett and will be released in early 2011, also by Rounder Records.

Music pioneer Ralph Stanley and Burnett have collaborated numerous times over the past decade, including their studio work on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack and Stanley’s performances on the Burnett-produced tours, Down From The Mountain and The Great High Mountain.

Neko Case has previously performed with T Bone onstage, and has recently participated in two projects produced by Burnett: Jakob Dylan’s most recent album, Women & Country, and the forthcoming soundtrack to Ghostbrothers Of Darkland County, a play with music written by Stephen King and John Mellencamp. Burnett has long been an admirer of Jim James from My Morning Jacket, and is looking forward to him joining the lineup for the New York show.

Burnett and Jeff Bridges collaborated on the film, Crazy Heart, which garnered numerous acting and music awards this year, including Oscars for both Bridges (Best Actor) and Burnett (Best Original song – with Ryan Bingham – for “The Weary Kind”).

The Secret Sisters self-titled debut album, set for an October 5 release, was Executive Produced by Burnett and is being released on his newly created Beladroit imprint through Universal/Republic Records.

Both Punch Brothers and Karen Elson are two relatively new artists that Burnett admires, and felt they would make great additions to The Speaking Clock Revue. Progressive string band Punch Brothers released their second album, Antifogmatic, on Nonesuch Records in June, while singer/songwriter Elson released her debut album, The Ghost Who Walks, on Third Man Records in May to great critical acclaim.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Re: T Bone Burnett's Revue /Elvis in Boston, NY, Oct. 16/20

Post by bronxapostle »

ah, at last. NY can breathe easily as E will be here in October...BEST month of the year!!! goodbye money.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I suspect the "debut" -- at least with a fair amount of the lineup -- will be at the Hardly Strictly Festival in San Francisco, October 1st.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh, so you mean to imply they will be MORE polished by nyc, Dr. L???

no worry, you got us topped in many ways with E being top and bulk of the bill for that appearance pal. ENJOY! and TAPE!!!!!!
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Oh my holy jesus christ mary and joseph bloody hell. That's a lineup! I bet we'll be seeing some familiar faces in the band too - Dennis Crouch played on the Russell/John record and the Crazy Heart soundtrack and Jim Lauderdale has cut two records with Ralph Stanley (including the Grammy winning Lost In The Lonesome Pines), so I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them show up.

Fingers crossed they do a DVD of this!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:ah, at last. NY can breathe easily as E will be here in October...BEST month of the year!!! goodbye money.
Another great night for us, ba. Love the Beacon!

The only bit of bad news is that while we're seeing Nick Lowe and GP in Tarrytown, EC will be in Boston, so no chance of a little guest appearance that night.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I've got tickets to see Nick Lowe and Graham Parker in Boston for the 15th. If Elvis is in Boston on the 16th, maybe he'll drop in for a performance with Nick and Graham the night before.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

there you go ET! hope so for ya....looks like you get the luck of the draw perhaps this time.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

anybody swung tickets yet??? i keep hitting refresh, and the ticket link isn't up at the wang center site.

honestly, i may not even buy a ticket, since hey, i'm supposedly broke.

but ralph stanley and EC on the same stage??? *whimper* there goes the grocery money.

edited to add: got thru, didn't buy anything. too rich for my blood right now, and i'm busy the next night anyway. waah!!!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Shatteredmannequin

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

Was able to get through, and got very good seats. (4th row/ Pit Orch).
But the price was quite steep. I feel better knowing it's a benefit, and that there's a pretty amazing line-up.
I'm still trying to picture how they're going to cram all those folks into one show.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Long interview with T Bone Burnett:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-rago ... 42868.html

An excerpt:
MR: Who are the folks that will be on the tour with you?

TBB: Elton John and Leon Russell are headlining, Elvis Costello is the master of ceremonies, and we also have John Mellencamp, Gregg Allman, Ralph Stanley, Jim James, Jeff Bridges, and The Punch Brothers. Do you know The Punch Brothers?

MR: The Punch Brothers are terrific, yes.

TBB: Yeah, they're insanely great. We've also got a new group called The Secret Sisters who are fantastic from Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I love these kinds of shows where each person sings three or four songs, and people collaborate with different people. I think it's a good vibe.

MR: It seems like the singer-songwriter type of acts gravitate a little more to that kind of show than the more "produced" acts.

TBB: Well, all of this stuff is primarily done with people who do it. A lot of it is going to use the same band for all the different acts, you know? A lot of these guys have made albums with the band and with me. It's the cats we work with all the time.

MR: Who's in the house band?

TBB: Well, Jay Bellerose and Jim Keltner are playing drums, Dennis Crouch is playing bass, Marc Ribot is playing guitar, Russ Paul is playing steel, Mike Compton is coming to play mandolin, and Gerald Leonard is bring a horn section. Did I say Ralph Stanley? Isn't that wild, Ralph is going to come to do this.

MR: Nice. You've been working with Ralph since O' Brother..., right?

TBB: Yeah. I just love Ralph. I just think he's a great cat. He's the most amazing storyteller, really. So, I'm happy he's coming along for this.

MR: You know, your stable of artists, other than worship you, regularly acknowledge how much you've added to their music, and how much you allow their music to breathe with your productions.

TBB: I have to say, I'm doing the same thing I've always done. I'm just trying to make honest recordings of people.

MR: Honest recordings, that's really well put. Recently, you produced an Elvis Costello album?

TBB: I did, yeah.

MR: And you have a new one coming out soon?

TBB: Yeah, we just finished a new one that's getting ready to come out. I think it's one of the best records either one of us has ever done. I think you'll love Elvis' new record. It's called, National Ransom, and it's great. It goes from being very stripped down with just a guy on guitar, all the way to loud, punk rock music. And many other things--a lot of '20s and '30s kinds of music. It's something else.
I assume the "Gerald Leonard" who's bringing a horn section is actually Darrell Leonard, who plays on National Ransom.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainm ... ition=also

Hip Bone
Producer Burnett summons Elton, Elvis and all-stars for concert extravaganza

By Jed Gottlieb

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Producer T Bone Burnett helps artists go forward by looking back.

When rock stars want to rediscover their musical roots - or their roots’ roots - they reach out to Burnett. It could be Elton John on the hunt for one more classic, ’70s-style singer/songwriter album. Or John Mellencamp searching for a long-gone sound pioneered decades before he was born. Or Elvis Costello trying to drown his modern English-ness in old Tennessee mud. The calls don’t stop.

But a few months back, Burnett was the one doing the dialing. Looking to raise money for music education in public schools, Burnett called in favors for Saturday’s Speaking Clock Revue at the Citi Wang Theatre. The charity show features an A-list of artists, many of whom Burnett’s produced: Elton John and Leon Russell (whose collaborative album comes out next week), John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello, Neko Case, Gregg Allman, Jeff Bridges, Ralph Stanley, the Punch Brothers and more.

“It is going to be a little crazy,” Burnett said with a chuckle from San Francisco’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival. “But everybody wanted in on this.”

Inspired by the release of Davis Guggenheim’s state-of-education documentary “Waiting for ‘Superman,’ ” Burnett’s fund-raiser will also play New York’s Beacon Theatre next week. He also hopes to bring the show on the road for a tour next year.

“This thing came together because everybody wants to play with this band,” he said. “This may be self-serving, I may be prejudiced, but I think this is the best band in the world.”

A bold statement. But when it comes to rocking roots music - old-school country, bluegrass, early Southern r & b - Burnett’s band has plenty of records to point to for proof.

His group - which features guitarist Marc Ribot, bassist Dennis Crouch, drummers Jim Keltner and Jay Bellerose and other studio aces - has its fingerprints all over Burnett’s productions in the last few years. In different incarnations the players pop up on Elton John and Leon Russell’s upcoming “The Union,” Costello’s “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane,” and Robert Plant and Alison Krauss’ Grammy-winning “Raising Sand.” Perfect for a revue, the versatile set of players will serve as house band as the all-star cast wanders on and off stage.

“These guys will take the night from a very small sounding acoustic show to a very loud rock ’n’ roll show and then back,” Burnett said. “No set changes, just a community of musicians getting to play with each other without any narcissistic interruptions.”

It’s a show that follows Burnett’s recent career template, which has had no time lately for narcissistic interruptions. His solo work has mostly fallen to the wayside as he devotes more and more time to producing other artists and Hollywood film scores, including the Oscar-winning song, “The Weary Kind,” that he co-wrote for “Crazy Heart.”

But even as he releases fewer solo albums, his influence abounds. At the beginning of the decade, his soundtracks for “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” and “Cold Mountain” launched a return-to-roots-music trend. More recently, Burnett and his band stripped polish from artists like Mellencamp and Costello and helped them get in touch with their inner Woody Guthries, Robert Johnsons and Carter Families.

Or, as Burnett believes, the musicians he works with have already found these inner-roots artists. They’ve just been clever enough to get Burnett and his band to help them frame their new, rawer selves.

Next up is a Gregg Allman solo album due in 2011, his first in 14 years.

“It’s called ‘Low Country Blues’ and it shows off Gregg’s full power,” Burnett said. “He’s one of a handful of best blues singers ever and the idea was just to go in the studio and make a killer blues record. And he’s a killer and this band is a killer so it wasn’t all that hard.”

Just another artist he helped go forward by looking back. Allman returns Burnett’s favor at Saturday’s Speaking Clock Review, one of Allman’s first public experiences since his liver transplant last summer.

But don’t plan on seeing Allman belt out “Melissa” or Elton John do “Candle in the Wind.” Burnett and his band aren’t interested in rehashing classic rock. Instead, this revue is about recent Burnett productions: new classics that sound like old classics the minute they’re performed.

Speaking Clock Revue, at the Citi Wang Theatre, Saturday. Tickets: $45-$125; 617-482-9393.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://twitter.com/search?q=Costello%2C%20boston

cramerbob
Elvis Costello just whistled a solo I'm Josephine!!!!

legalseafoods Celebs are hooked this week in Boston! Elvis Costello seen having dinner at Park Square last night.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5 ... 968eeff21a

Elvis Costello with Karen Elson and The Secret Sisters

Jeff Bridges with T Bone Burnett and Elvis Costello

The entire lineup of The Speaking Clock Review in Boston

Photos by David Meerman Scott
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

nice pics...no recap yet foyle? feel free to delete my thread asking about last night. missed this thread this morn...
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There are lots of pics from the show on the Allman Brothers message board, but just one of EC:

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... ion=recent

All-stars’ concert for T Bone is well-done

By Jim Sullivan / Music Review

Sunday, October 17, 2010

I first saw T Bone Burnett in 1975 when he was 27 and one of the less-known musicians on Bob Dylan’s Rolling Thunder Revue tour. A sterling cast of stars surrounded him.

The idea took hold.

Saturday at a nearly sold-out Wang Theatre, Burnett - who’s risen to fame over the past three decades as a producer for a slew of artists - was surrounded by another crop of stars: Elton John, Elvis Costello, John Mellencamp, Gregg Allman and many more. They’re all artists he’s produced. They and more than 20 other musicians made up the Speaking Clock Revue, a modern day jamboree that made its debut in Boston. (There’s another gig in New York on Wednesday.)

It was a two-set show, with a mix of country, blues, bluegrass, gospel and roots-rock. Many folks played songs Burnett had produced. There were no real “hits,” unless you count Allman’s “Midnight Rider.” That wasn’t the idea. This was all about sharing - and subtly promoting a cause. Burnett said he’d been inspired by the documentary “Waiting for ‘Superman,’ ” and the money raised was to fund music education in schools.

Costello began the night with “Brilliant Mistake.” Throughout, he and Burnett traded the role of the nattily attired witty emcee, with Costello calling Burnett his “older, taller, smarter brother.” Burnett, a beaming presence, played only a bit of guitar and sang backup.

The three-hour show was sharply paced and star-powered, but there was no star-tripping. Stellar moments came from 83-year-old country singer Ralph Stanley, New Pornographers’ singer Neko Case and bluegrass quintet the Punch Brothers.

Guitar ace Marc Ribot helmed the multi-piece backing band and drummer Jim Keltner anchored it.

There were highlights scattered everywhere, but certainly Mellencamp’s four new songs were up there. The heartland rocker has stripped away the fist-pumping arena rock and roughened up his sound, almost like Tom Waits. He got the night’s first standing ovation for “Save Some Time to Dream,” a call-out to a younger generation. Dream, but realize sorrow and failure come to us all.

Actor Jeff Bridges stepped into his Bad Blake “Crazy Heart” role with two country-rock tunes. Allman, the gracious recent recipient of a liver transplant, thanked his donor and sang three gritty blues rockers from an upcoming CD, “Low Country Blues.”

The climax came at the end when two grand pianos were wheeled on for John and Leon Russell, the two having recorded a new CD, “The Union“ (out Tuesday). John called bearded, white-haired, sunglassed Russell - who used a cane and never spoke or looked at the crowd - his idol. The two swapped vocal and piano leads on six songs that hit rock-gospel-soul heights. One of the best was a poignant Civil War song, “Gone to Shiloh,” with Allman joining on vocals. John and Russell closed the evening with genuine grit and fire.

THE SPEAKING CLOCK REVUE

At the Citi Wang Theatre, Saturday.
jim@jimsullivanink.com

BTW....
..no recap yet foyle? feel free to delete my thread asking about last night
I don't have a moderator function on this forum, sorry BA.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A missed preview -

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... s_friends/

All-star blast

T Bone Burnett’s ‘Speaking Clock Revue’ gets by with a lot of help from his friends

By Sarah Rodman, Globe Staff | October 15, 2010

T Bone Burnett does not keep the Oscar he won earlier this year for his musical contribution to “Crazy Heart’’ out on display. Nor does he have a showcase for any of the 10 Grammy awards he’s amassed over the years for his work on the “Walk the Line’’ and “O Brother, Where Art Thou?’’ soundtracks or on albums by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant and others.

“First of all, that Oscar takes up the whole room. You can’t put that in a room where it’s not the only thing you look at,’’ he says with a laugh on the phone from San Francisco, where he’s appearing at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. “Also, as happy as I am to have gotten in the way of all those awards, when I’m working in my everyday life I don’t want to think about ’em all day long.’’

It’s a miracle he has time to think about much of anything other than the task at hand, given the pace the highly sought-after producer keeps in the studio. This year alone, the man born Joseph Henry Burnett has produced albums for Willie Nelson, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, John Mellencamp, his “Crazy Heart’’ collaborator Ryan Bingham, Elton John and Leon Russell — whose collaborative album “The Union’’ comes out on Tuesday — and Elvis Costello’s forthcoming “National Ransom,’’ out Nov. 2. And this list is a mere thumbnail in a 40-year discography that includes work with artists as varied as B.B. King, Cassandra Wilson, Jakob Dylan, Roy Orbison, the Counting Crows, and ex-wife Sam Phillips, among many others.

His latest venture takes Burnett out of the studio and involves many of those famous names.

Saturday night at the Citi Wang Theatre, Burnett presents the first in what he hopes will be a series of live concerts to benefit arts education in public schools via the Participant Foundation, the charitable arm of the film company releasing the acclaimed new education documentary “Waiting for ‘Superman.’ ’’

Backed by a crack house band of Burnett studio regulars, the show will feature performances by Mellencamp, John, Russell, Costello, “Crazy Heart’’ star Jeff Bridges, Gregg Allman, Ralph Stanley, the Punch Brothers, Karen Elson, Neko Case, and newcomers the Secret Sisters. The format will be akin to Burnett’s “Down From the Mountain’’ trek which followed the success of the “O Brother’’ soundtrack, with each artist performing solo and in combination with other acts on the bill. “Everybody’s being incredibly generous to do it,’’ says Burnett.

The Fort Worth-bred Burnett was inspired to assemble “Speaking Clock’’ after seeing “Superman’’ at legendary TV producer Norman Lear’s house in LA. “I met with the guys who did the film, and we were talking about what we could do to help and I said, ‘Why don’t we do a tour?’ ’’

Those words were music to the ears of many of the artists with whom Burnett works and often want to hit the road with his stable of players, including guitarist Marc Ribot and drummer Jim Keltner.

“Everybody always says, ‘Let’s take this out on the road,’ ’’ says Burnett, 62. “I’ve had a lot of fun with these kinds of collaborative shows in the past, so at some point it reached a critical mass, as they say.’’

The show also gives Burnett a chance to play some of his own solo material, a rare occurrence for the infrequently touring producer who nonetheless has more than a half-dozen albums to his credit.

“I’m not as comfortable onstage as other people are but I do enjoy doing it occasionally,’’ he says. “I don’t see doing it that many more times in my life. But I must say I do enjoy putting on these shows. The ‘Down From the Mountain’ shows were some of the greatest experiences of my life.’’

For close-harmonizing, retro-country duo the Secret Sisters, whose Burnett-polished debut was released this week, the opportunity to share the stage with many of their heroes, especially John, is a dream come true. “Obviously the goal of everyone on this tour is to partner up with Elton and get behind a microphone,’’ says Lydia Rogers, with a laugh. “But just sharing the same bill with him is enough.’’

“It’s intimidating,’’ says older sister Laura. “We don’t really know what songs we’re going to be singing, we just know that it’s going to be one big party.’’

Burnett hopes that many of the younger acts like the Secret Sisters, Elson, and the Punch Brothers will get a nice bounce from the shows. “One of the functions of this concern as we go forward is to be able to introduce new people,’’ he says. “Strangely enough, the Internet creates scarcity. It’s supposed to do the opposite, but when you have 6 million bands on MySpace or whatever, you might as well have no bands on MySpace. How do you sort it out?’’

After the Boston show and a performance next Wednesday in New York City, Burnett hopes to relaunch the concept next spring. “I envision it as having a rotating cast,’’ he says, citing other possible participants like Plant and Krauss, Dylan, and Bingham. “Since these same musicians play with everybody, people can drop in and out easily.’

And it’s likely they will given the respect that Burnett commands.

“There’s a lot to that guy,’’ says Bingham, who shared Burnett’s Oscar win. “He’s such a musicologist. One of the coolest things about working with him is the atmosphere he creates. He really creates a vibe that makes you comfortable in your own skin without a lot of distractions. Musicians love working with him for that.’’

And he loves them and the life that working with them has led to, nearly fulfilling his childhood dreams.

“When I was a kid I thought I would be Burt Bacharach when I grew up. I thought that was the greatest life in the world: write songs for movies and live in Hollywood and be married to Angie Dickinson.’’

Two out of three — plus an Oscar — ain’t bad.

Staff writer James Reed contributed to this report. Sarah Rodman can be reached at srodman@globe.com
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... _the_bell/

Speaking Clock runs on electricity
Burnett’s Revue is packed with star power

By James Reed
Globe Staff / October 18, 2010

Performances aside — and they were uniformly inspired — there was an undeniable charm to Saturday night’s Speaking Clock Revue at the Citi Wang Theatre. Nowhere else could you watch 83-year-old bluegrass patriarch Ralph Stanley amble past Elton John, who was busy squeezing John Mellencamp’s shoulder and embracing up-and-comers the Secret Sisters and Karen Elson at the end of the show.

Or witness Elvis Costello and T Bone Burnett, guitars in hand, rushing out of the wings to join actor Jeff Bridges on songs from the film “Crazy Heart.’’ Oh, and yes, that was Neko Case sidling up to sing harmony with Gregg Allman on “Midnight Rider,’’ an Allman Brothers Band classic he hasn’t performed since his liver transplant in June.

Such was the electricity that the benefit concert brought to life with an incredible roster of musicians who were as dynamic as one could have predicted. The three-hour-plus revue, which moves to New York’s Beacon Theatre on Wednesday, was the brainchild of Burnett, the producer who enlisted an array of musicians he has worked with, and a few he simply admires.

The ground rules were simple: With a few exceptions, most everyone played only songs they’ve recorded with Burnett, ensuring the evening was fresh and unique. Burnett’s presence felt like it often comes across on record — minimal but essential. He briefly plugged the new documentary “Waiting for ‘Superman,’ ’’ which looks at the need for education reform in public schools, but indicated early on that everyone was here for the music.

The first act was smartly curated to intersperse rising acts with legendary ones, meaning if you didn’t like the virtuosic bluegrass quintet Punch Brothers (but how could you not?), Mellencamp was just a few songs away.

Costello served as an amiable host, kicking the show off with “Brilliant Mistake,’’ flanked by Elson and the Secret Sisters clustered around a microphone. Led by mandolinist Chris Thile, Punch Brothers were in fine rhythmic form — particularly on a raucous take on Jimmie Rodgers’s “The Brakeman’s Blues’’ — and later added some texture to other performers’ sets.

Meanwhile, Costello was right about the Secret Sisters in his introduction: They certainly did turn the crowd on its ear with their intertwined harmonies, never so beautiful as on a soaring rendition of Bill Monroe’s “The One I Love Is Gone.’’ British-born Elson was more ethereal, a vision of spooky Americana rendered right out of a Coen brothers film — floor-length white dress, flame-red hair, and a voice that could have used some color of its own.

Case, the evening’s other fiery songstress, was awestruck by her surroundings. “I’m trying to act cool right now,’’ she said as she surveyed the stage, noting the sheer talent of the house band, whose members have played on various Burnett productions. Case figured it was probably “just the greatest band ever,’’ from drummers Jim Keltner and Jay Bellerose, to guitarist Marc Ribot (always a force, especially during Allman’s cover of Muddy Waters’s “I Can’t Be Satisfied’’), among others.

The last of a breed, Stanley got the respect he deserved as he sang unvarnished folk songs and gospel with a guitarist and bassist, winning over the crowd with his simplicity and sincerity.

Even as the audience rooted for him, Allman was visibly nervous in his set, a bit shaky but poignant as he previewed country-blues songs from his forthcoming solo album on Rounder Records. Mellencamp, on the other hand, burrowed into his bone-dry latest recordings with Burnett, coming off like a grizzled rocker. He’s now writing some of the best songs of his career — and performed with the confidence that comes from such a feat.

In the headlining spot, John and Leon Russell debuted songs from their new album together, “The Union,’’ to be released tomorrow. Mutual admiration aside, they couldn’t have been more different, from John’s shiny grand piano to Russell’s modest baby grand. Russell, stoic and silent, came alive only when he was singing and playing; John was humble and straightforward as he introduced the songs.

While bold, their six-song set often felt out of step with the rest of the show, built on the notion that you can’t have too much of a good thing. That left songs such as “Gone to Shiloh’’ (with a cameo by Allman) and “Monkey Suit’’ overstuffed, featuring the full house band, a horn section, four powerhouse soul sisters wailing behind them, plus the dueling pianos. The ear simply didn’t know where to tune in.

And the eyes didn’t know where to focus, either, when the entire lineup materialized at the end of the night. As hugs and handshakes were exchanged onstage, the standing ovation quickly gave way to shrugged shoulders. Bets that the entire gang would perform together — “Will the Circle Be Unbroken’’ was a common guess — were soon called off.

Still, it was hard to quibble with the history that had just been made. To tweak Burnett’s opening remarks: Never mind all that — here was some music.

James Reed can be reached at jreed@globe.com.

http://www.bcheights.com/arts/legends-b ... -1.1711776

Legends Bring Down The Wang

By Brennan Carley

October 17, 2010

The audience skewed older, but the energy never abated at T-Bone Burnett's Speaking Clock Revue this past Saturday night. The Wang Theatre played host to rock icons like Elton John, John Mellencamp, and Elvis Costello, all gathered to support the new documentary Waiting for Superman, a movie about five children and their parents' struggles to get them into good schools. All of the musicians put an emphasis on the importance of revitalizing the public school system, and as Jeff Bridges put it best, "Tonight's about the kids. Let's hear some music!"

Music producer Burnett's master plan was to put together a two-city benefit concert, with a house band consisting of the players featured on a number of Burnett's recordings. Joining for the majority of the night, the bluegrass quintet Punch Brothers put a fresh spin on country music. Their harmonizing and thumping banjos on songs like "Rye Whiskey" served as a palate cleanser of sorts between the big name acts. A down-south kind of Mumford and Sons, they played off the energy of every vocalist they accompanied, stomping around the stage in a cool, yet bouncy manner. It was clear that the band was just happy to be invited, but the impression they made is sure to be a lasting one.

Next to take the stage was Karen Elson, a pale skinned, red haired model turned singer who more than held her own in the cavernous theater. Elson went right into "The Ghost Who Walks," a haunting, dazzling track that heavily features an old-fashioned organ. The generally older audience at first didn't know what to make of Elson, as her star shines far less brightly than the majority of the headliners, but by the time she wailed her way through "The Truth is in the Dirt on the Ground," the building erupted in applause. She graced the stage with her presence several more times, ably assisting Costello with the help of The Secret Sisters, an enchanting new band that just released its first, self-titled album. The two sisters' voices were clear and angelic, blending together in a beautiful, melodious way. Ending their two-song number with the bluesy "The One I Love is Gone," the sisters proved that they belonged in the presence of all the greats onstage.

"This next artist used to have three names," chuckled our MC, Elvis Costello, a
s he introduced one of America's greatest rockers, Mellencamp. Disappointingly, the singer skipped over hits like "Pink Houses" and "Jack and Diane" in favor of newer, more acoustic numbers, like the chill-inducing "Save Some Time to Dream" and "Longest Days." His voice is still that fascinating blend of smoky and soulful, and the passion he brought to the stage was unmatched by any other performer. After Mellencamp's short set, T-Bone himself took to the stage to introduce his good friend Jeff Bridges, Oscar winning actor and star of movies such as The Big Lebowski and the Burnett-scored Crazy Heart. His two songs were good, but unmemorable in a field of incredible talent.

The special guest at the Boston edition of the Revue was Neko Case, one of the members of the band The New Pornographers and a brilliantly talented songstress. She performed several of her own songs in addition to assisting Greg Allman on his hit, "Midnight Rider." Allman has been through it all in the past year, and he began his set by thanking God "and the man who gave me a liver just a few months back." He was unusually reserved and restrained, perhaps nervous about straining himself after his surgery, but his voice sounded better than ever.

The only standing ovation of the night was awarded to Ralph Stanley, "America's oldest and best country singer" as Costello so eloquently phrased it
. At 83 years old, Stanley emerged in a sparkly silver suit and sweetly sang his way through "Girl from the Greenbriar Shore" and his biggest hit, "O Death," from the film O Brother, Where Art Thou? The applause and ovation the audience gave the legend as he walked off stage was both a sign of respect and a response to the goose-bumps everyone had long after Stanley's songs ended.

While Leon Russell hobbled onto the stage, Elton John strode confidently toward his piano to the sound of rapturous applause. The two musical legends effortlessly ran through five songs off their new collaborative album, The Union. John's pipes are not as nuanced as they used to be, but he still managed to command the stage. Like Mellencamp, John ignored the hits and instead performed only numbers off his new CD, but the audience didn't seem to mind. Instead, people seemed thrilled just to have the chance to hear Sir Elton live. Sure, the 6-year-old in me died a little when I realized I wouldn't be hearing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" but then the two pianists began to play "Gone to Shiloh" as Greg Allman reemerged to harmonize with the men. It was a truly special moment, with Russell's gruff and honky-tonk voice meshing against all odds with John's poppy and Allman's soulful ones. I would be amiss if I didn't mention the backup singers exclusively for John and Russell's set. It was a privilege to see John cede the vocals to the four women for a section of "Hey Ahab," giving them the chance to show off their spine-tingling voices.

When all the artists assembled on stage at the end of the show, I have to say I was expecting a group number. The opportunity was there, but it never came to fruition. It was the only real disappointment in a night otherwise filled with breathtaking performances and collaborations.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/music/1101 ... TOPCONTENT

Buzz not loud enough for Burnett's spectacular 'Speaking Clock Revue'
Supposed they gave a splashy benefit show and almost nobody knew about it?

BY BRETT MILANO

October 18, 2010

Supposed they gave a splashy benefit show and almost nobody knew about it? This appeared to be the case when artist/producer T Bone Burnett brought his "Speaking Clock Revue" to the Wang Theatre over the weekend. The lineup was impressive by any standard: Elvis Costello, Elton John, John Mellencamp, Gregg Allman, Leon Russell, Neko Case, Ralph Stanley and more. Tickets for the show, which is only being done in Boston, New York and Los Angeles, topped out at an astoundingly reasonable $125 — far less than some of those artists usually charge, and roughly one-third of what it cost to see a single member of Pink Floyd play The Wall a couple weeks earlier.

Yet the show didn't sell out (though it eventually came close), and prime seats were still going at the door. A few people I talked to in the crowd said they'd just found out it was even happening; others saw the ads and assumed all the big names weren't actually playing. For a show of this nature, it flew pretty well under the radar.

In any case, this show — to benefit an obscure, if worthy, charity, the Participant Foundation, which brings arts/music to public schools — had too many stellar moments to keep track of: Costello opening the night with a gorgeous "Brilliant Mistake." Allman and Case harmonizing on "Midnight Rider." Mellencamp rocking out heartland-style on "Troubled Land." John and Russell collaborating on the best songs either has written in about three decades. Stanley doing a ghostly, bare-bones "Man of Constant Sorrow." And by the way, Marc Ribot was on guitar. And Jim Keltner on drums. In a 15-piece band. Other than that, just your standard rock show.

Surprisingly, Burnett himself was practically MIA. He gave a couple witty introductions ("We're just taking time to work out the kinks. Who, by the way, are not on the show tonight"). But except for one brief cameo (he and Costello sang backup when actor Jeff Bridges did a tune from the Burnett-supervised Crazy Heart soundtrack), Burnett didn't sing or play a note; and left most of the MC'ing to the affable Costello. It's true that Burnett's current gigs are mainly as a roots-conscious producer and film soundtracker, but he was still a terrific live performer when he hit the Somerville Theatre two years ago.

Still, Burnett's warm non-digital production style and his sonic trademarks-brushed drums, deep acoustic bass, and tremolo guitar-were much in evidence throughout. And everyone featured their Burnett-associated work: Costello chose three songs from his forthcoming National Ransom — another eclectic, largely non-rock album in the vein of last year's Secret, Profane & Sugarcane, but with stronger and more accessible songs. Mellencamp stuck with his last two, mortality-slanted albums; but made them sound more upbeat than they do on disc. Allman was onstage for the first time since his liver transplant (he thanked his donor before starting) and previewed three songs (including one right up his alley, Muddy Waters' "I Can't Be Satisfied") from a forthcoming blues album. And young Burnett discoveries, the Secret Sisters from Muscle Shoals, AL, did a knockout, X-sounding version of Johnny Cash's "Big River." Bridges held his own in this company, in part because he had three excellent "Crazy Heart" songs to work with.

Twin grand pianos were wheeled out for John and Russell to get the last and longest set of the night. All six songs came from the forthcoming, Burnett-produced album The Union, and were exactly what an old fan would hope for: Vintage Americana-obsessed Elton (circa Tumbleweed Connection) crossed with the piano-pounding Southern gospel of Russell's Shelter People era. The songs (written in various combinations by the two with lyricist Bernie Taupin) were throwback in the best sense; the Civil War ballad "Gone to Shiloh" had a vintage Band feel and got an added Southern touch from Allman taking one verse.

With this many people onboard, there wasn't room in a three-hour show to give anyone more than 25 minutes of stage time; and the expected grand-finale encore never wound up happening (everyone came back for a bow, but that was it). Still, it was a show to tell your grandkids about — and from the looks of the crowd, more than a few were heading home to do just that.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 93112.html

Photo by Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

T Bone Burnett, right, will bring friends including Elvis Costello, left, to the Beacon Theatre on Wednesday for the Speaking Clock Revue.

OCTOBER 19, 2010

A Friendly Neighborhood Hoedown
T Bone Burnett Assembles His Famous Friends for a Party at the Beacon Theatre

By JIM FUSILLI

In a concert at the Beacon Theater on Wednesday, featuring the Speaking Clock Revue, producer and ringleader T Bone Burnett will surround Elton John, Leon Russell, John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello, Gregg Allman, Ralph Stanley and Jeff Bridges with his favorite studio musicians. The evening promises to be an all-star journey through American rock and roots music.

"I've worked with almost all of them," said Mr. Burnett of the singers. "They always say, 'We should do this live.' Well, here's our chance."

Mr. Burnett has been particularly busy recently with some members of the troupe. He produced the John-Russell collaboration "The Union" and Mr. Mellencamp's "No Better Than This," as well as Mr. Costello's "National Ransom," which will be out later this month. He also co-produced the soundtrack for "Crazy Heart," the film for which Mr. Bridges won an Oscar as best actor, and has just completed production on Mr. Allman's next solo album.

One of the joys of this revue, Mr. Burnett said, is the opportunity to introduce relative newcomers to audiences who'll turn out to hear superstars. The Secret Sisters and Karen Elson, who are also on the program, recently released debut albums. Mr. Burnett produced the former, and Ms. Elson's husband, Jack White, the latter.

Mr. Burnett is a fan of musical revues. "They weren't exactly my idea," he said with a laugh. "They've been around forever." A few years ago, he put together a traveling show featuring singers and players from the Burnett-produced soundtrack to the Coen Brothers film "O Brother, Where Art Thou"—Mr. Stanley was among them. And at the start of his career, Mr. Burnett was a member of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue: In 1975, Mr. Dylan assembled a group of musicians that included Joan Baez, the Byrds' Roger McGuinn, Ramblin' Jack Elliott and, of course, Mr. Dylan himself. Mr. Burnett played guitar. Director Jacques Levy was the stage manager.

"That was a master's class in show business in the extreme," Mr. Burnett said. "I learned a lot from Jacques. He loved to talk about theater, staging and narration. I loved the way he paced a show. You want to tell a story that takes the audience somewhere."

Last week, the members of Mr. Burnett's troupe were still in rehearsal in Los Angeles. He said the possibilities of collaboration hadn't been fully explored yet. But the backing musicians' adaptability is this revue's great strength: drummers Jim Keltner and Jay Bellerose, bassist Dennis Crouch, guitarists Marc Ribot, Russ Paul and Jackson Smith, mandolinist Mike Compton and keyboardist Keefus Ciancia move effortlessly among styles. They'll support Mr. Stanley's high, lonesome voice and the rockin' dual pianos of Messrs. John and Russell with equal aplomb.

"Keltner and I have worked together for 40 years. Ribot, 25 or so," Mr. Burnett, 62, said. "Everybody is an ace."

He said he intends the Speaking Clock Revue to translate to the stage some of the techniques he prefers in the studio. Mr. Burnett favors analog recording and live performances during which the musicians can interact. Digital recording and cutting musicians' parts separately and splicing them together leaves him cold, he said, as does the sound of MP3 files.

"We play at a very low volume on stage so it's very musical. Everybody can communicate in real time," he said.

Net proceeds from the show will benefit the Participant Foundation, which is dedicated to supporting arts and music education in public schools. Participant Media is a production company behind Davis Guggenheim's documentary "Waiting for 'Superman,'" which takes a hard look at the American public-education system. Mr. Burnett attended a screening at a friend's house.

"I was very moved," he said. "That film kicked the thing in gear. I asked, 'How can I contribute to the cause?' The arts in public schools has been a concern of mine. They have been cut the deepest for the last many years. You can't pin this on any one person."

After the show at the Beacon, the Speaking Clock Revue will reconvene Oct. 23-24 in Mountain View, Calif., to play Neil and Pegi Young's annual benefit for the Bridge School, which helps physically impaired children.

Mr. Burnett said he'd like to bring his revue together again in 2011 for a lengthy tour. Part of the tour, he added, would be dedicated to interacting with young students interested in the arts. They'll be invited to sound checks and, he said, he's exploring the idea of holding workshops for students.

—Mr. Fusilli is the Journal's rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

BRING THIS TO AUSTRALIA.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Last minute decision to attend, orchestra ticket for $30 via stub hub offsets the flight cost a little!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Jeremy Dylan wrote:BRING THIS TO AUSTRALIA.
This from an article in the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 93112.html

"Mr. Burnett said he'd like to bring his revue together again in 2011 for a lengthy tour. Part of the tour, he added, would be dedicated to interacting with young students interested in the arts. They'll be invited to sound checks and, he said, he's exploring the idea of holding workshops for students."

You know who to lobby Jeremy.

MOOT
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Maybe I should send Dennis Crouch a belligerent email.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

great show tonight...i'll get back with the whole recap tomorrow. but, EC opened the night with BRILLIANT MISTAKE featuring Secret Sisters and Karen Elson. his only other appearance in set one was with JEFF BRIDGES: FALLIN & FLYIN. he opened the second set with JOSEPHINE; JIMMIE and NATIONAL RANSOM each of these with Secret and Punch and Karen. and vamped encore "THERE'S NO TOMORROW" with all...cool.