Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Boston (MA), April 20, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Boston (MA), April 20, 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Shatteredmannequin

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Boston (MA), April 20, 2010

Post by Shatteredmannequin »

Nice.
It's been way too long since Elvis headlined a show in Boston. Can't wait.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

"Elvis Costello Fan Club" <email@artistarena.messages4.com>

Elvis Costello Fans;

Elvis has just confirmed some more dates for 2010!

4/20 - Orpheum Theatre (Boston, MA) - Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes show
4/26 - Tabernacle (Atlanta, GA) - Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes show

Because you have been such loyal fans to Elvis, we would like to offer you early access to tickets as well as special VIP packages for these shows via the link below.

VIP Platinum Package - $300.00
Package includes:
- Premium Reserved Seat Ticket
- Meet and Greet with Elvis Costello
- Limited Edition Signed Elvis Costello poster
- Commemorative VIP Laminate
- $50 donation to charity

The presale for the shows above will start on Wednesday, 1/20/10 at 3pm - local market time.

Presale Link: http://tixx1.artistarena.com/elviscostello

Username: elvis
Password: costello

See you at shows!
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

5th row for my 40th show. happy.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Got mine yesterday - I think the last time I saw him was with the big gang in London a few years ago.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Judi_Boston

Post by Judi_Boston »

I bought the VIP tix from artist arena, but right after I started wondering if it was legit. I hope it is...a meet and greet with Elvis Costello would be amazing. Does any one have any experience with the VIP packages or that company?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

mezzanine front row. YAY!!!

got it at the box office, saved $15 in fees.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Judi_Boston wrote:I bought the VIP tix from artist arena, but right after I started wondering if it was legit. I hope it is...a meet and greet with Elvis Costello would be amazing. Does any one have any experience with the VIP packages or that company?
I've bought presale tix from them for several tours now, never a problem. The VIP thing is new this year, so you'll have to wait and see how they handle it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.irishmassachusetts.com/conte ... p?costello

ELVIS COSTELL0 & THE SUGARCANES
Orpheum Theatre
April 20, 2010

WIN TIX!

You have a chance to win a pair of tickets to see Elvis Costello live in Concert at the Orpheum Theatre, 1 Hamilton Place, Boston, on Tuesday, April 20, 2010.

Winner will be notified and announced here on Friday, April 16th, so be sure to check back for the winning announcement!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here win tickets?
Boy With A Problem

Have an extra ticket for this now (free) provided I can break through the volcanic ash between now and then. You would have to sit next to me though and maybe buy me a beer or two. Send me a pm.
Boy With A Problem

It isn't looking good for me getting back in time for the show. Flight cancelled and rebooked for Wednesday - if anybody wants two free tickets and can get to Mansfield to pick them up - let me know.
Boy With A Problem

No takers on the tickets, so my wife and neighbor will be going tonight. They are not fans and tend to talk a lot; loudly and inappropriately. My apologies in advance to the folks sitting near them....blame it on the Icelandic Volcano. I had rebooked on a flight out tomorrow morning, but that's now been cancelled....I did go and see Hair in the West End last night - big fan of the songs, but the production was overly long and too many of the best songs were in the first half....It could be worse, my former assistant has been stranded in Istanbul since Thursday.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just to say I'm gutted for you - what an Act of God disaster, BWAP - having a wife who chats through the shows :lol:
This may explain why Mrs Sulky doesn't go to many Costello shows for fear of my wandering off to make sure my recordings are uninterrupted !!
Boy With A Problem

sulky lad wrote:Just to say I'm gutted for you - what an Act of God disaster, BWAP - having a wife who chats through the shows :lol:
This may explain why Mrs Sulky doesn't go to many Costello shows for fear of my wandering off to make sure my recordings are uninterrupted !!
I refuse to take her myself. I've been on hold with American Airlines for two hours now - seems they have rebooked me on flight for Monday the 26th! Time to think about alternatives (trains or a rental car to Barcelona - are flights leaving from there?)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

very sorry for you BOY! but, sometimes there is a reason that we miss out on what we shouldn't. hoping you get to MANY more shows before year's end...best, ba
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Unlucky dude. Hope you manage to get home this week somehow.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

Shed no tears for me. I'm stuck until Monday - but it's nearly an all expenses paid holiday. I will go up to the office in Basingstoke on Thursday to make an appearance - but tonight I'm going to Sarah Borges and the Broken Singles - Wanda Jackson is playing tomorrow and Thursday night - sold out, but maybe someone will have an extra ticket.....the company will pick up the hotel, dinners and transportation. I could have had a flight back to Newark on Friday - but too late for a flight up to Boston (where my car is) on Friday night and all Newark/Boston flights are sold out on Saturday - so it would mean schlepping to Manhattan on Friday night and catching a train up to Boston and then a bus to the airport - or staying close to Laguardia and catching a Saturday morning flight up to Boston all to get home 48 hours earlier - and costing the company and extra $2000 (flight and hotel less the two extra nights in London)...
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I refuse to take her myself.
I didn't know Mrs Sulky had propositioned you about going to Costello shows - so all these UB40 gigs were a blind to dupe me !!! :oops:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ready for the setlist...thanks Boston attendees! i got friday covered....
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

Here's the setlist that was posted by Michael Elias on Setlist.FM:

Freight Train
All Time Dog
New Amsterdam
Down Among the Wines and Spirits
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Blame It On Cain
Indoor Fireworks
The Delivery Man
?
Lancaster Station
Slow Drag With Josephine
Brilliant Mistake
The Friend of The Devil
?
I Lost You
Everyday I Write The Book
Don't Lie To Me

Complicated Shadows
Color of the Moon
Life's Companion
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

Sulphur to Sugarcane

Alison
The Race Is On
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

And I think there are a few title mistakes in there. :lol:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

CraigatCoF wrote:Here's the setlist that was posted by Michael Elias on Setlist.FM:

Freight Train
All Time Dog
So a Fred Eaglesmith cover and chilling love ballad about bestiality?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Two MAIT headlines - we're being spoilt!

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... m_is_true/

MUSIC REVIEW
The Boston Globe

Going country, Costello’s aim is true

By James Reed

Globe Staff / April 21, 2010

Elvis Costello is a reminder that classic country music isn’t about nationality or accent or era. Costello, a British rock musician whose roots reach back to the late 1970s, understands that country isn’t a genre so much as a feeling, namely longing.

ELVIS COSTELLO At Orpheum Theatre, last night

At the Orpheum Theatre last night, the chameleonic Costello tried on his latest guise, that of a credible country crooner backed by some of Nashville’s most distinguished pickers. Anyone expecting to pump it up with a rock show must have been surprised to see an upright bass instead of a drum kit and Costello, in a suit and tie, wearing a cross between a fedora and a straw hat.

Old country music suits Costello, who first plumbed his love of it on 1981’s “Almost Blue,’’ featuring covers of songs by the likes of Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, and George Jones. At the Orpheum, he dusted off a few of them, including moving renditions of Haggard’s “Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down’’ and Jones’s “Color of the Blues.’’

The set list, in fact, was almost exclusively devoted to Costello’s country catalog with a clutch of songs (“Down Among the Wines and Spirits,’’ “Sulphur to Sugarcane’’) from last year’s “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane.’’

It wasn’t quite the Grand Ole Opry, but the performance captured the good-time spirit of that album, no doubt because Costello’s stellar six-piece band, dubbed the Sugarcanes, were the same musicians who played on it.

Last night marked the start of a new tour, but you never would have guessed that from the magnetic chemistry. Jim Lauderdale’s high harmonies were so good they almost felt wasted, and many of the songs featured prominent licks from dobro master Jerry Douglas.

Even when they strayed outside Nashville’s city limits, the songs were played through a filter of torch and twang, especially Costello’s own songs. “Everyday I Write the Book’’ shimmered with three-part harmonies, and “Alison’’ blossomed into a stately country ballad.

Only on the final encore did Costello the rocker make a cameo on “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding,’’ and even then it felt more like a hoedown than a call to arms.

James Reed can be reached at jreed@globe.com.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... ion=recent

On stage, Elvis Costello’s aim still true as ever

By Jed Gottlieb

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Elvis Costello’s a bloody brilliant live performer. And thank god for that.

Over the past 20 years, EC’s catalog has grown ridiculously cluttered. On nearly two dozen albums, he’s traipsed through esoteric opera, lounge jazz, rootsy r & b, bluegrass and straight rock records with collaborators and guests galore. It’s become hard to get excited for his new records because you never know which Costello you’ll get.

But live, the man slices right through the clutter.

Last night at a packed Orpheum, Costello debuted his latest backing band, the Sugarcanes. Stuffed with notables including country ace Jim Lauderdale and dobro Jedi Jerry Douglas, the band is firmly grounded in bluegrass. But the Grand Ole Opry twist only served as a fresh frame for Costello’s stellar writing and fully committed concert persona.

The tunes from new album “Secret, Profane & Sugarcane” had more punch live than the slightly flat recorded versions. The dark, noir vibe of “My All Time Doll” got a spike of spooky dobro. Costello and Lauderdale pushed the whiskey harmonies of “Down Among the Wines and Spirits” out front. And “Sulphur to Sugarcane,” one of the half a dozen encores, became a legit, drunken honky-tonk shuffle.

Then there were the choice covers. Letting us know just what’s been inspiring EC, the music encyclopedia charged through “Mystery Train” (an early Sun-side for the other Elvis), Merle Haggard’s “The Bottle Let Me Down” and a pickin’ party take on “Friend of the Devil.”

But it was the storied songs deftly twisted to fit Costello’s new Americana aesthetic that popped. Dressing classics in fiddles and accordion, upright bass and mandolin only shone a spotlight on Costello’s masterful songwriting and delivery.

A couple naturally fit the vibe - the tunes pulled from “King of America” especially. But others were completely remade. The band turned “The Delivery Man” into a chaotic, chunky swamp lit by Costello’s cries and Douglas’ buzzing dobro fills. Then the septet rewrote the melody of “Everyday I Write Book,” slowing the tempo and giving the typically jaunty tune languid doses of space.

Finally came the favorites: “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” done as a call-and-response singalong, a hauntingly spare “Alison,” and “(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” with another brilliant harmony vocal by Lauderdale.

Give us a gangsta rap disc next or a set of sambas or an album of speed metal - as long as you remain a great live act who curates great setlists, we’ll stick with you, Elvis.

jgottlieb@bostonherald.com

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/co ... sp?xid=517

Renaissance man Elvis Costello shows his country roots

Orpheum Theatre, Boston, April 20, 2010
Reviewed by Jeffrey B. Remz

Elvis Costello remains a true music renaissance man. He's been a chameleon over more than three decades since he first started as one of the leading progenitors of New Wave with his debut, "My Aim Is True." Costello has tried on a lot of different hats since then, even classical, and his latest effort - going back to his country roots - was absolutely top notch.

Costello released the country disc "Secret, Profane & Sugarcane" last year. It's not the first time he went country. He did that back in 1981 with "Almost Blue," a so-so received album of country covers, but his second effort was a lot better.

Don't worry about Costello being able to pull it off live because he did so with great ease in a lively, energetic, top-notch performance. Decked out in a suit, tie, hat and black horn-rimmed glasses (some things never change), Costello remained a captivating performer after all these years. He certainly never rested on his laurels throughout the 110-minute show. No need to either because his current musical interest worked just fine.

Costello mixed it up between songs from "Secret..." to covers, including a very strong The Race Is On and Friend of the Devil to a less strong, but still good take on Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down from "Almost Blue."

He also dipped into his lengthy catalogue with such gems as Alison, What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding and (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes. But these weren't the familiar versions of yesteryear. No way. Costello changed it up a lot, tending to slow the songs down a good amount with far sparer instrumentation. Yet, he made them familiar, not doing a Dylan with his chestnuts where they were rendered unrecognizable.

Three songs must not have been familiar to pretty much anyone there - because they were just recorded and remain unreleased. That would include Slow Drag With Josephine and the traditional country Color of the Moon.

Costello's nasally voice has not changed a lick during his tenure. It's still got a lot of grit , energy and emotion, and it served him well.

So did his great backing band. Costello went to the A list of Nashville's finest for putting his band together. That would include just about the number one Dobro player in the world, Jerry Douglas; acoustic guitarist/back-up singer Jim Lauderdale, mandolinist Mike Compton, upright bassist Dennis Crouch, fiddler Stuart Duncan and accordionist Jeff Taylor. Costello gave each adequate time on stage to show their musical mettle, and all were more than up to the task. Duncan and Douglas were particular standouts, while Lauderdale's voice complemented Costello very well. For sure, the band was feeling its way with Costello since surprisingly this was their first of eight shows together. It certainly did not feel or sound like it was their first gig.

Costello may have a lot of musical interests, but there was no doubt that this guy knows a thing or two about country.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
just a lackey

Post by just a lackey »

i had:

Mystery Train
All Time Doll
New Amsterdam
Down Among the Wines and Spirits
Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down
Blame It On Cain
Indoor Fireworks
The Delivery Man - electric guitar
the butcher's boy
new song (forgotten man?)
Slow Drag With Josephine
Brilliant Mistake
Friend of The Devil
Condemned Man
I Lost You
Everyday I Write The Book
Don't Lie To Me

Complicated Shadows
Color of the Blues
Crooked Line
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes

Sulphur to Sugarcane

Alison
The Race Is On
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?

really fun show!