Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama 'Treme',April 18, 2010

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009 ... rtainment/

HBO will air Simon's series about New Orleans

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: May 9, 2009

David Simon, the creator of the critically acclaimed television shows The Wire and Homicide: Life on the Street, has turned his attention from Baltimore to New Orleans for his latest project.

Treme (truh-MAY'), which is named after a Creole neighborhood known for its rich musical history, was filmed in March as a prospective TV series for HBO. This week, HBO decided to pick up the series and says it will likely make its debut in fall 2010.

The series aims to capture New Orleans' heritage and traditions as residents struggle to recover from Hurricane Katrina.

However, Simon is quick to say it's not just another Katrina project.

"This is an American story," he said in an interview from outside a jazz club where the hourlong pilot was being filmed back in March. "This is about an American city trying to pick itself up and doing it without a great deal of help."

To tell the story, Simon abandons almost all the backdrops New Orleans is best known for -- the French Quarter and Garden District included -- and gets into grittier, lesser-known neighborhoods he says have been "under-chronicled."

"We had to get inside New Orleans traditions," he said. "You can't do that from the French Quarter."

He said that it was important to capture the city's dysfunction as well as its grace.

"New Orleans is not the most efficient, best-run metropolis in America. It never has been," he said. "But it's a city with an ornate and essential culture and musical tradition that is maybe one of the most original things America ever invented."

He said that the story should resonate with Americans considering the recent economic downturn. He compared Americans' faith and reliance on the nation's economic structure to New Orleans' faith and reliance in the city's levee system, both of which have proven to be "more fragile than anyone ever assumed."

"It's a metaphor for where we are in America right now," he said, standing outside Vaughan's Lounge, a music club near one of the city's hardest-hit neighborhoods, the Lower 9th Ward. He said that the pilot would keep the name of the club. He

even employed the lounge's regular doorman to play one in the show.

Simon said he had been wanting to tell a story in New Orleans for more than a decade before Katrina, which hit in August 2005, but "couldn't find a hook."

Much of his Treme writing team is from New Orleans. It includes resident Tom Piazza, the author of the nonfiction Why New Orleans Matters and the novel City of Refuge, and Lolis Eric Elie, a reporter for The Times-Picayune newspaper. Elie also produced a documentary, Faubourg Treme: The Untold Story of Black New Orleans.

Other writers include George Pelecanos, a crime-novelist and writer for The Wire, and David Mills, a screenwriter for Homicide, NYPD Blue and The Wire.

Eric Overmyer, who lives in New Orleans and whose TV credits include St. Elsewhere, Homicide and The Wire, is a friend of Simon's and a co-executive-producer on Treme.

A host of locals also made the cast. New Orleans-born actor Wendell Pierce, who played Detective William "Bunk" Moreland on The Wire, plays a musician, a role he called "a dream come true."

"Being from here, I've always wanted to be a musician, but I was always the actor hanging out with the musicians," he said with a laugh on the set, trombone in hand. Between takes, Pierce practiced with Kermit Ruffins, a trumpet player featured in a scene that included a cameo by Elvis Costello.

"That happens all the time here," Simon said. "You'll have musicians come from all over to see and hear these guys play. It's just a regular night in New Orleans."
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama

Post by johnfoyle »

http://betweenthegrooves.wordpress.com/ ... ans-right/

HBO’s “Treme” Actually Get New Orleans Music/Culture Right?
January 11, 2010

Philip Booth

(extract)

The more I hear about forthcoming HBO series “Treme,” the more I’m encouraged that producer David Simon (“The Wire,” “Homicide”) is going to get it right, in terms of artfully and accurately capturing the homegrown music and idiosyncratic culture at the heart of what makes New Orleans the only city of its kind in the world.

Elvis Costello, a huge supporter of NOLA music (he teamed with pianist/composer Allen Toussaint for 2006’s The River in Reverse, and the two collaborated for a terrific performance at Jazz Fest) plays himself.

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index.ssf ... ion_o.html

HBO's 'Treme' starts production on regular-season episodes

By Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune

November 08, 2009, 10:16AM

(extract)

Co-created by “The Wire” veterans David Simon and Eric Overmyer, “Treme” begins production this week on the remaining episodes of its first 10-episode season, to air starting in April.

Treme - teaser - HBO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jH_KkUy ... r_embedded
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama

Post by johnfoyle »

This site has a 'spoiler' item that shows that Elvis will be in episode two of Treme - do not go to link if you don't want to know about the episode before seeing it -

http://www.tvovermind.com/treme/treme-s ... pses/19741

#02 “Meet De Boys on the Battlefront,” airing April 18, 2010:

(Story by David Simon and Eric Overmyer; teleplay by Eric Overmyer; directed by Jim McKay.)
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama 'Treme',April 18, 20

Post by johnfoyle »

Trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc4Lbj-KMe4

EC and AT are seen for 1 second at 1:12
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photo from YouTube -

Though the series has a c. 2005 setting what we see here is the slimmed down c.2009 Elvis!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This prints of on 14 pages which I've yet to read so Elvis isn't necessarily mentioned -

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/magaz ... f=magazine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/t ... 08.article

Who's who and what's what in 'Treme'

April 8, 2010

BY MARY HOULIHAN Staff Reporter

• The Faubourg Treme (pronounced trih-MAY) is a historic neighborhood just off the more-celebrated French Quarter. Jazz was said to have been born there. Some think it's the most musically important black neighborhood in America; generations of New Orleans musicians have lived here.

• Coco Robicheaux performs a song and a voodoo blessing (a rooster perishes) while performing live on WWOZ, the legendary New Orleans station. The bluesman is trying to conjure the "old-ancestor vibe" of Congo Square, famous as the spot where 18th century slaves were allowed to gather to sing, dance and play music. It's now an open space in Louis Armstrong Park in the Treme just off the French Quarter. WWOZ's home was in the park before Katrina.
RELATED STORIES
Ill wind blows in 'Treme'

• There's no one better to sing the show's theme ("The Treme Song") than New Orleans' favorite soulman, John Boutte. Walk down the tree-lined streets of Faubourg Marigny neighborhood on a hot sultry night, and chances are you'll hear his voice floating out of one of the area's trendy clubs.

• Why is Elvis Costello in town hanging around with the great Allen Toussaint?
The show follows a real-life timeline, and this is about the time when the two musicians began working on their soulful album "The River in Reverse."

• Yes that's a cameo by Dr. John (a k a Max Rebennack) in a session with musicians performing the standard "My Indian Red," a song sacred to the traditions of the Mardi Gras Indians. The "Treme" creators attempted to write dialogue for the great NOLA musician, but he improvised ("confusementalism" for "confusement"), showing the writers how to do the real Dr. John.

• Speaking of Mardi Gras Indians, when Chief Albert Lambreaux (Clarke Peters) comes out of the darkness dressed in full canary-yellow feathered regalia, it's a moment that takes your breath away. Around since the mid-19th century, the tribes are said to have originated from a friendship between two minorities, Africans and Indians. New costumes are paraded a few times a year: Mardi Gras, St. Joseph's Day and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. Big Chief Monk Boudreaux of the Golden Eagles makes a cameo appearance.

• Everyone's talking about Shorty. Who's that? Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews plays himself in the series. Born and raised in the Treme, he's a 24-year-old dynamo who's getting attention from the likes of U2 and Green Day. Jazz trumpeter Kermit Ruffins, funk band Galactic, piano man Tom McDermott, blues singer Deacon John, the Treme Brass Band and many other locals also show up in the early episodes.

• In the scene where Davis McAlary gives a piano lesson to a classically trained youngster, he invokes the name of Professor Longhair (1918-1980). One of the pioneers of New Orleans rhythm & blues, he's influenced players from Fats Domino to Allen Toussaint and Dr. John
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Great article about Allen Toussaint: http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... id=1492671

(...)
Toussaint's own career has undergone a mighty resurgence in the 21st century. Before The Bright Mississippi, he received widespread praise and extensive recognition for The River in Reverse, his 2006 collaboration with Elvis Costello, notable as the first major recording session in New Orleans (again with producer Henry) after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. Toussaint and Costello made many appearances together throughout that year, including one at Bonnaroo, and they both appear in David Simon's highly touted new series Treme, premiering Sunday on HBO. Toussaint ranks Costello among the most talented people he's ever encountered.

"This guy is one of the most knowledgeable musicians around, and I mean about everything," Toussaint says. "He can sit down and talk about lowdown blues and opera, jazz, Motown, country, folk, and he doesn't just know the hits, he knows the misses. It's amazing how much music he knows and how great he is as an entertainer. Doing that album and tour was a highlight for me."
(...)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis was in episode one and, it seems, will re-appear.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some stills of Elvis here -

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 6f6c473324

It's a excellent show, carrying on the tradition of the Wire. Sympathetic as it is to the plight of the people in post Katrina New Orleans it isn't afraid to show them to be less than perfect. Elvis' mostly mute appearance , except for a gag about Keynesian economics , is all the more subtle in that he counter balances a earlier appearance by another character, a British journalist who is smug and condescending.
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/index.ssf ... ken_f.html

(Extract)

Ruffins is notoriously disconnected from the popular music world at large. His scene with Costello plays on that disconnect. The irony is that Ruffins might not recognize Elvis Costello or even Mick Jagger but, because I have written about him for 20 years, he does know me.

Except for the cameras — and the sunlight — the fake Ruffins gig felt like a typical evening at Vaughan’s. During a break, Ruffins coached Wendell Pierce, the veteran New Orleans-born actor who plays hustling trombonist Antoine Batiste, through the song “Skokian,” just as he might for any new musician wanting to sit in.

Costello stood nearby in the middle of Dauphine Street. He and I met in late 2005 when he recorded “The River In Reverse” with Allen Toussaint at a studio blocks from Vaughan’s. That Bywater recording session is the historical pretext for Costello’s cameo in “Treme,” which is set three months after Hurricane Katrina. In real life, he’d never seen Ruffins at Vaughan’s.

We — myself and my British brother from another mother — sized each other up. Both unshaven. Both sporting glasses with thick frames. Both of a Caucasian persuasion.

It was as if we were separated at birth. Except Costello’s shoes were much nicer.

Seeing the two of us side-by-side amused the “Treme” crew. Overmyer snapped a photo with his cell phone.

Costello was in a jovial mood. A young woman approached and asked to take a picture with him. She wore a T-shirt depicting a large rooster and the motto “Big Cock.”

A grinning Costello couldn’t resist: “With that shirt, of course,” he said, before cracking, “How’d you know?”

Soon he was summoned back inside Vaughan’s. But first we showed each other pictures of our kids, gushing over each other’s offspring and bragging about their exploits.

Just like two geeky white guys with glasses.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some photos of Elvis in Treme, episode two-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 6f6c473324

The studio scene shows a recreation of the recording of the brass section for 'Tears, Tears and More Tears'. Elvis later says he can't go partying with musicians 'cos he's English and has 'tea to steep and toast to burn' etc. It's nicely done in a understated way. The show is getting better 'n better.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://filmreviewonline.com/2010/05/08/ ... ting-city/

Davis McAlary (Steve Zahn) is chatting with Elvis Costello © Blown Deadline
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I just watched the last two. episodes of this. Allen Toussaint is in the last one and has some great lines. The Wire references, as in ' not as good as' etc. , that some of the commentaries keep making are not fair in that it's a very different kind of drama. Comparisons with Robert Altman , particularly Short Cuts , would be more relevant. Overall, the series might have more impact if you were watch it all , back to back. Which is what many now do. I mean, who watches braodcast tv anymore ? I don't.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/ablogsupreme/2 ... s-of-treme

Talking To The Musicians Of 'Treme'
by Patrick Jarenwattananon

July 7, 2010

(extract)

Kermit Ruffins:

* On the Elvis Costello scene in episode one: It was actually Mick Jagger that was in the bar. I didn't realize — I didn't catch his face. I was nice and high, playing my trumpet, crowd full of people, and [the real] Davis walked up to me, said, 'Man that's Mick Jagger? Don't you want to meet him?'"
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I think Treme is a wonderful show and I believe this is what great television looks like. I never saw The Wire and now I regret it. The characters are rich and not one dimensional and having our boy Elvis was an added bonus and I must admit the reason that I started watching it to begin with.After that I was hooked and continued to view every episode.It did take a little while to take hold.If you have any curiosity about New Orleans and it's culture and music and the devastating effect of Katrina,you owe it to yourself to watch this program
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Much of his Treme writing team is from New Orleans. It includes resident Tom Piazza, the author of the nonfiction Why New Orleans Matters and the novel City of Refuge, and Lolis Eric Elie, a reporter for The Times-Picayune newspaper. Elie also produced a documentary, Faubourg Treme: The Untold Story of Black New Orleans.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/elvis ... husband/66

(extract)

OWH: There’s a fallen priest in “Bullets For The New-Born King” and, not to get liturgical on you but “The Stations Of The Cross” and “Church Underground” also suggest that the Jesuits were right when they used to say, “Give us a child until he is five and we will have him forever.” Is the Hound of Heaven on your trail?

EC: Let’s just say I’ve never really been able to get the smell of Frankincense out of my clothes.

However, “The Stations Of The Cross” does not refer to the procession at the Benediction that I was obliged to attend during Lent but just as there were spectators on that occasion, so we may sit at safe distance regarding every depravity from the blood sports of entertainment to the fickle sympathy of the news.

OWH: The news does seem pretty bad. A flood is a recurring image on this album and it appears in last verse this song.

EC: I think reading Tom Piazza’s “City Of Refuge” provoked some of those images. It a very fine and human book.

http://www.amazon.com/City-Refuge-Novel ... 0061238619

http://www.amazon.co.uk/City-Refuge-P-S ... 698&sr=8-2
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

30 seconds of Elvis 'n Allen doing the Greatest Love

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 ... treme.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

No Elvis - still great stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Treme-Music-HBO-O ... B0041U7RHE

Treme: Music From the HBO Original Series, Season 1 [Soundtrack]

October 25, 2010.

http://www.dailytechoffers.com/music/tr ... -season-1/

(extract)

16.TIME IS ON MY SIDE – IRMA THOMAS & ALLEN TOUSSAINT

For decades, Irma Thomas has rightfully been named “The Soul Queen of New Orleans.” No one else comes close. By all accounts, 1964 was a stellar year for Irma Thomas. One of her biggest chart successes came with “Wish Someone Would Care,” followed by another minor hit, “Anyone Who Knows What Love Is.” Oddly enough, the B-side of “Anyone Who Knows” was “Time is On My Side.” When the Rolling Stones covered it, the blues ballad became an international sensation. Irma Thomas appears with Allen Toussaint, her early producer at Minit Records, for the Episode 10 finale. The special guest trumpeter is 89-year old Dave Bartholomew, the living legend of New Orleans rhythm and blues and its chief architect during the city’s popular music heyday.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.antimusic.com/news/10/nov/re ... ning.shtml

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is hosting a screening of a selection of complete musical performances shot for various episodes of the HBO series Treme.

These performances, produced by Karen L. Thorson and directed by Anthony Hemingway, will be shown at the Hall of Fame's Foster Theater on Tuesday, November 9th at 7 pm.

The screening of performances by Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint ("The Greatest Love") Irma Thomas & Dave Bartholomew ("Time Is On My Side"), Kermit Ruffins & The Barbecue Swingers ("Skokiaan"), John Mooney & Soul Rebels ("Poison"), John Boutte & Glen David Andrews ("At The Foot of Canal Street"), Steve Earle & Lucia Miracelli ("Gold Watch and Chain") will be preceded by introductory remarks from series co-creator David Simon, filmed on location in New Orleans where work on the series' second season has begun.

The evening is part of the Hall of Fame's American Music Masters program celebrating New Orleans' own Fats Domino and Dave Bartholomew. The Treme performances will, appropriately, be followed by a screening of Fats Domino Live at Austin City Limits, a one-hour live performance from 1986. This event is free and open to the general public with a reservation. Email education@rockhall.org or call 216.515.8426 to RSVP. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is located at 1100 Rock and Roll Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44114 For more information about American Music Masters, go to www.rockhall.com
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The full video of EC and AT doing "The Greatest Love" in the studio is now available on iTunes for $ 1.99, a real nice performance. I suspect this may show up on the Treme DVD/Blu-ray, but in the meantime...

dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2010/1 ... relea.html

'Treme' DVDs, set for March release, will include special features, commentaries

December 05, 2010

Dave Walker, The Times-Picayune

(extract)

A key moment in the life of “Treme” will come a few weeks before the HBO drama’s projected April 2011 second-season premiere.

That’s when four-disc DVD and Blu-ray sets of the first season will hit the marketplace to meet the presumably substantial second line of viewership that’s been curious about the New Orleans-set-and-shot series but not curious enough to spring for premium cable.

This week, HBO will officially release details about the DVD box. The set will include many of the “extras” aficionados of TV-on-DVD have come to expect, including making-of and documentary backgrounders and supplementary audio-track commentaries by producers and actors.

The DVD set is expected to retail for $59.99, though Amazon.com is offering a pre-order price of $53.99. The Blu-ray list price will be $79.98 (Amazon pre-order: $71.99).

In an on-location interview last week, “Treme” co-creator David Simon discussed some of the DVD extras, the process of recording the commentaries, and vented about his dissatisfaction with the marketing of critical supplements to “Treme’s” first season that have preceded the DVD set to market – the show’s music soundtrack and iTunes downloads of full-performance music videos.

Advance word on DVD box details comes in the wake of profound disappointment on Simon’s part over the marketing of the show’s first-season Geffen Records music soundtrack, as well as the accompanying full-performance music-video downloads on iTunes.

Geffen is part of the powerhouse Universal Music Group, whose family of labels sells chart-busters Lady Gaga, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas, among many others.

“This is what I want to say about the music industry,” said Simon, a Baltimore Sun reporter before making the transition to writing books then TV-making. “I used to think there were aspects of the entertainment industry that made me genuinely uncomfortable. I came from journalism. There’s a dishonesty and mendacity to the entertainment industry that every now and then you sort of go, ‘Really? You had to pay them for that? What did he say?’

“I now realize that compared to the music industry, I work in a (expletive) orthodox church of legitimacy. When I deal with record companies, when I deal with these guys I deal with, when I hear the stories from New Orleans musicians about their management, apparently anybody who never made an honest buck, and managed to do it with the short con and long con, they’ve all arrived at the music industry. It’s (expletive) amazing.”

The release of the videos was “quite dramatically buried,” Simon continued. “The guys we had doing the soundtrack, Geffen, when they were bidding on us and they were wooing us (they talked about) those videos, about all the synergy that was possible with them, how they’d help sell the soundtrack and how the soundtrack would help sell the videos. They’d do this, they’d do that, to get publicity for them.

“When it came to actually pushing the soundtrack and the videos, they were shockingly inert. To the point where I consider the way we were treated to be quite dishonest. I was shocked by Geffen Universal and their behavior and their capacity for being disingenuous.”

The soundtrack songs were digitally downloadable several weeks before a CD was available, a move that likely alienated small-scale and specialty retailers predisposed to foster the soundtrack CD but made to meet a Grammy Awards entry deadline.

“Which doesn’t sit well with me,” Simon said. “I’m kind of not an awards guy.”

Two days after this interview, the “Treme” soundtrack received two Grammy nominations.

One was for the work as a whole in the category Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media, where other nominees include a “Glee” album, soundtracks for “True Blood” and the feature film “Crazy Heart.”

From the soundtrack album, Steve Earle’s “This City,” which played under the closing credits of the season finale and already an Emmy nominee, was nominated in the category Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media. Competition there includes songs from “The Princess and the Frog,” “True Blood” and “Crazy Heart.”

The label mishandling Simon perceives does little harm to “Treme” the TV series, or, clearly, its music’s Grammy chances.

It does, however, directly hit the royalties-receiving musicians whose work appears on the soundtrack release and videos.

The soundtrack, featuring an array of performances from the season, is an ideal aural representation of “Treme’s” mission to spotlight New Orleans music and musicians.

And the videos, still available for $1.99 download, are little gems.

“Elvis (Costello) and (Allen) Toussaint doing ‘The Greatest Love,’ I’ll say right now, that 3 minutes I’d rather have than just about anything in my record collection,” Simon said. “That thing is stunning.

“They didn’t get a proper launch. I was very disappointed. HBO sort of acknowledged they didn’t get a proper launch, but HBO publicity stood down. They weren’t really handling it. They thought the record company had a plan. The record company claimed to have a plan. (There was) no plan.

“We gave those things to the record company and said, ‘Here, launch them. Do all the great things you said you were going to do.’ We never heard back.”

A summary of Simon’s comments was sent to a Geffen publicity representative for reply, but the label declined comment. Geffen also declined a request for sales figures for the song and video downloads and soundtrack CDs.

The full-performance videos are conspicuously absent from the advance rundown of the DVD extras.

“We’re withholding for right now the videos,” Simon said. “My feeling is that we’ve given the artists themselves a very significant percentage of the back-end (earnings) on that, whatever it is. I’m not sure there is any.”

The performances may make a later appearance on DVD, either in a standalone disc release or included in a full-series box set when “Treme” concludes. (Simon has said he has a five-season plan for the show; only two are guaranteed so far by HBO.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... simon.html

January 18, 2011

David Simon is Paste’s 2010 Person of the Year for TV.

(extract)

Simon is deep in the midst of creating more Treme magic, and unavailable for interviews for a few weeks yet. But in the meantime, we thought we’d get show reactions from a true New Orleans hero. Ray Cannata is a Presbyterian pastor who moved his family from New Jersey to New Orleans shortly after Katrina in order to help the city rebuild. In the best tradition of firefighters worldwide, he was running in while everyone else was running out

And of course Kermit Ruffins, I think they probably just told him to be himself.

Paste:
Because why wouldn’t you?
Ray Cannata: Exactly, why would you want to change Kermit? Who can invent a character better than that guy? I mean, one of the great scenes in all of TV last year was the scene with him and Elvis Costello. You know that if that didn’t happen that way, it certainly could’ve. You know Elvis recorded that River in Reverse album with Allen Toussaint here. And Ruffins doesn’t even know who the guy is; he thinks he’s the reporter from the Times-Picayune. And then, isn’t that same scene where they tell him he’ll never get out of town with that attitude and he says, “Why would I want to?”

Paste:
Yeah, Steve Zahn’s character says something like, “Kermit, do you mean you’re just going to stay here at Vaughan’s for the rest of your life, cook your barbecue, smoke pot, and play your trumpet?” And Kermit says, “That’ll work!”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.jazzfm.com/2011/06/coming-up ... th-june-3/

Elvis with Davis Rogan who plays Davis in the hit TV show ‘Treme’.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama 'Treme',April 18, 2010

Post by Man out of Time »

johnfoyle wrote:
“Elvis (Costello) and (Allen) Toussaint doing ‘The Greatest Love,’ I’ll say right now, that 3 minutes I’d rather have than just about anything in my record collection,” Simon said. “That thing is stunning.

“They didn’t get a proper launch. I was very disappointed. HBO sort of acknowledged they didn’t get a proper launch, but HBO publicity stood down. They weren’t really handling it. They thought the record company had a plan. The record company claimed to have a plan. (There was) no plan.
I saw this performance for the first time on Sunday night at the Teatro Monumental in Madrid. Allen Toussaint died in Madrid in November 2015 following a concert there. Therefore Allen was very much on Elvis' mind when he played Madrid himself.

After his first encore, Elvis left the stage and the giant TV screen onstage showed this black and white video of Elvis and Allen singing and playing "The Greatest Love". Elvis crept back onto the darkened stage towards the end of the clip, just to watch it himself.

It does not seem to be widely available, but you can watch a 30 second extract here (after a short advertisement):

http://videos.nola.com/times-picayune/2 ... ove_e.html

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Hurricane Katrina tv drama 'Treme',April 18, 2010

Post by johnfoyle »

TV screen onstage showed this black and white video of Elvis and Allen singing and playing "The Greatest Love".
It can also be seen at about 1.50 into this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njQ5SfLZyQ