ALL THE RAGE

Pretty self-explanatory
King_of_Spain

ALL THE RAGE

Post by King_of_Spain »

Some questions about this song, who is my favourite BY´s one?

* Does anyone know who is dedicated to?

* Does Costello play with the double meaning of the expression "All the rage"? (the rage itlself seems to overstand throught the lyrics)

* Is it -as I have sometimes suppose- the second version if a former punch-song against McCartney? You know: "I´ll probably play alone.." and in the chorus it seems to sound something like "PLay Let it be: it´s still all the rage". If this is so... why?

* In this, the best paragraph of the song,
Alone with your tweezers and your handkerchief
You murder time and truth, love, laughter and belief
So don’t try to touch my heart, it’s darker than you think
And don’t try to read my mind because it’s full of disappearing ink

the first two lines seem to be referred to Macca (the word `handkerchief´ appears noticeably in She´s leaving home, and the two last verses are the best Costello´s selfportait ever made... including the cover of B&Ch).

Well, this is just an opinion. What do you think about it?

Could the song be -in a very first draft- an attack against sir Paul, in a moment of disappointment or anger or frustration? Or the real meaning of the song is a very differet one? Is again Bruce Thomas, like in How to be dumb, the one to punish with these lyrics?

Any help or hint would be welcome, of course.
"Sometimes I name and number all the things you gave to me"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm sure it's not Macca, no reason for any bitterness there. I wouldn't worry about literal interpretations directed at someone famous. I think it's about something relevant to Elvis right now, the desire to have him as permanently 'angry Elvis' ('although I'll never be unhappy as you want me to be').
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I notice that a lot of All The Rage's lines appear in Poisoned Letter (an earlier prototype similar in nature, on the Brutal Youth reissue), including "and your 'perfumed' handkerchief". PL also includes lines that ended up in the great My Science Fiction Twin.

I once applied the momentary venting theory in speculating that You Bowed Down might have been about a Costello fit of disgust with Sir PM's 'bowing down' to the monarchy in accepting his knighthood, like you, KoS, in a spirit of inquiry to see if it could be confirmed at all beyond that (maybe he said something to deny or confirm). But I really don't know if they have ever had differences worth much acrimony between them, or going far enough to suggest so in public.

If our speculative theories are right and he got songs out of that then I don't think we will ever know that they were. Anything to come up with a song, no?

I don't think he can top his painted portraits by the way, the B&C cover looks like something from Picasso's Guernica ... that tongue at least.
And just look at the controlled stroke work on the background... genius!(that's why it's on the top left of this screen).
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

You Bowed Down can't be about Macca's Knighthood because the song predates it.

Best to assume it's about Bruce T or something else. It always seemed like Poisoned Letter was written in a white hot fit of pique and about BT, All The Rage was probably the afterthought or reflection on the song.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

Another one which is definitely about Bruce T -poor BRuce- is (I´m sure you all know this) How to be dumb, according to some EC´s press statements.
IStandAccused

Re: ALL THE RAGE

Post by IStandAccused »

*The "key" word(s)here are "murder", "love, laughter and belief". It doesn't feel like it is written about a guy. It seems to be a bit about Bruce, Jake and something else.
King_of_Spain wrote:Some questions about this song, who is my favourite BY´s one?

* Does anyone know who is dedicated to?

* Does Costello play with the double meaning of the expression "All the rage"? (the rage itlself seems to overstand throught the lyrics)

* Is it -as I have sometimes suppose- the second version if a former punch-song against McCartney? You know: "I´ll probably play alone.." and in the chorus it seems to sound something like "PLay Let it be: it´s still all the rage". If this is so... why?

* In this, the best paragraph of the song,
Alone with your tweezers and your handkerchief
You murder time and truth, love, laughter and belief
So don’t try to touch my heart, it’s darker than you think
And don’t try to read my mind because it’s full of disappearing ink

the first two lines seem to be referred to Macca (the word `handkerchief´ appears noticeably in She´s leaving home, and the two last verses are the best Costello´s selfportait ever made... including the cover of B&Ch).

Well, this is just an opinion. What do you think about it?

Could the song be -in a very first draft- an attack against sir Paul, in a moment of disappointment or anger or frustration? Or the real meaning of the song is a very differet one? Is again Bruce Thomas, like in How to be dumb, the one to punish with these lyrics?

Any help or hint would be welcome, of course.
*"Common sense is not so common."*Voltaire
For those who speak French, "Le sens common n'est pas si commun."
King_of_Spain

Re: ALL THE RAGE

Post by King_of_Spain »

IStandAccused wrote:*The "key" word(s)here are "murder", "love, laughter and belief". It doesn't feel like it is written about a guy. It seems to be a bit about Bruce, Jake and something else.
Why?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

You Bowed Down is about Derek Hatton, the ex-Liverpool MP, innit?

All the Rage must be about a woman...how can it not be?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hey Fellas - it's about the journalists who've given him bad reviews/negative press.

Listen to it in light of this, and it all makes sense!

xxx
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Yeah...I always thought that You Bowed Down was about Hatton until someone put Macca into my head. The line "but all the applause, is for their name not yours..." suggests that the target is a part of a much larger item - the Beatles ? Anyway, I've asked so many times, and Elv aint telling...

I always suspected that 'All the Rage' was directed at his ex-fans and the critics who deserted him for more trendy youngsters like Nirvana etc. "......where you keep my picture still, despite the fact that you had me replaced..."
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

darling won't you act your age...
surely this is about a woman.

Unless he's really friendly with (the fake) Paul Mcartney
King_of_Spain

Post by King_of_Spain »

laughingcrow wrote: Unless he's really friendly with (the fake) Paul Mcartney
Also known as William Campbell?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

long story bud... check out the Annex a few months ago for the sordid Faul affair...

heres a link..

http://elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=508
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

I've always assumed it was about critics, and the POISONED PEN connection makes that theory stronger. But, if I dare bring up the name, the darling business and the "tweezers and handkerchief" and so on always made me think of B. Buell and her public interpretations of his lyrics (everything's about ME!!).
IStandAccused

Tweezers and handkerchief

Post by IStandAccused »

I am starting to agree about the connection to the critics, etc... That makes perfect sense. I don't know if I see the *Bruce* anymore. And I REALLY don't see the ** connection at all. This song was written years before her book or any public statements about anything Elvis. I have never gotten the "tweezers and handkerchief" line though. I am still trying to figure out what that has to do with anything let alone critics and Bruce or Jake and or **...
selfmademug wrote:I've always assumed it was about critics, and the POISONED PEN connection makes that theory stronger. But, if I dare bring up the name, the darling business and the "tweezers and handkerchief" and so on always made me think of B. Buell and her public interpretations of his lyrics (everything's about ME!!).
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, I'm very proud to report I have not followed BB's statements over the years, but I did think they started before that time. However I have no investment about this being the case! I've said this before but I always assume the stories behind these songs work the same way as any other fiction-- the writer takes truths from here and there, and creates something new from them which must stand on its own.
IStandAccused

Probably all the above

Post by IStandAccused »

**Probably means a bit of all the thoughts. I am now leaning towards the critics and Jake. 8)
selfmademug wrote:Well, I'm very proud to report I have not followed BB's statements over the years, but I did think they started before that time. However I have no investment about this being the case! I've said this before but I always assume the stories behind these songs work the same way as any other fiction-- the writer takes truths from here and there, and creates something new from them which must stand on its own.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I'm leaning towards that maybe..just maybe the song is not autobiographical.......!!! Everything he writes can't be about actual people, and perhaps one just draws from different sources to paint a picture that does not really hold water in reality.....by the way...All The Rage is great....

*I'll lend you my microscope and maybe you will find it* kinda reminds me of the school yard humor.....but it wasn't a mind one should try to find.
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
IStandAccused

He's MAD!! at something/someone

Post by IStandAccused »

**One way or another, he sounds mighty pissed off at something or someone or several things! That and "Hope You're Happy Now" are filled with anger and sharp tongued wit.
Copenhagen Fan wrote:I'm leaning towards that maybe..just maybe the song is not autobiographical.......!!! Everything he writes can't be about actual people, and perhaps one just draws from different sources to paint a picture that does not really hold water in reality.....by the way...All The Rage is great....

*I'll lend you my microscope and maybe you will find it* kinda reminds me of the school yard humor.....but it wasn't a mind one should try to find.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I STAND...Elvis is always bitter and pissed....up until North.. :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hey guys, the tweezers and handkerchief is just like some insect collector or jeweller/watchmaker picking over their chosen obsession, held in the palm of their hand in a handkerchief, picked up with a tweezers to be examined in minute detail, as the critics do with Elvis's every lyric/statement.

OR

He's following his earlier image - just as they have small minds which they need help finding with a microscope, he's saying the critics are a bunch of no-dicks who need tweezers to wank off with into their handkerchief. (it is, after all, "ALONE with your tweezers and your handkerchief")

It's definitely about the critics - 'I've heard it all before - you say it anyway' about the Ray Charles incident - they won't let that one lie.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

That makes a lot of sense. I could buy that it was wholly about the critics . . . and maybe overly critical fans who wanted him to stay angry and punk.

Although I'll never be
Unhappy as you want me to be
Still it's all the rage

If he wasnt so preoccupied with the subject of love on North, I imagine we'd see more of this, since the reaction to it has been similar in places. But he's not really bitter at all on North. Maybe on the next one . . . ?