A polite introduction

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Ryan

A polite introduction

Post by Ryan »

Well my mother always taught me to introduce myself politely in any situation so I thought perhaps I would do so here ..

Hi , My name is Ryan and I am from Belfast. I'm 27 years old which made me but an infant when Imperial Bedroom was released however I was introduced to the wonder that is Elvis Costello at a young age by my older brothers and I have always been , until more recent times, a casual listener.

In the past two years ,as I have matured I have found Elvis Costello and developed a passion for his music and I have been feverishly consuming his discography ever since.

My own tastes in music , even from an early age, were always towards New Wave and Punk Music and I grew up in a house where one would hear Buddy Holly or Gene Vincent coming from my parents stereo and Stiff Little Fingers and The Clash coming from my brothers.

I think those sounds left a deep impression on me and whilst at 12 when my contemporaries were mourning Kurt Cobains passing I was wondering when people were going to realise that Buddy Holly and David Byrne were way cooler :-)

In my later teens I existed on a diet of punk and hardcore , and I still do give that a bash from time to time but more so I began to identify with the biting, incisive and sneering swagger bursting out of Elvis Costello albums and I will never forgot the first time I sat down and listened to "My Aim is True" I have never felt so inspired and so vindicated.

So the music still moves me, still inspires me and I'm still discovering it little by little. So I thought I would join up here and talk to likeminded people about just that.

Aside from the mutual interest I am passionately interested in tattoo's , all music with integrity and people with the same. The politics of the far left, the wilderness, the 1950'S (There's a shocker eh?) art, social justice and activism. I suppose as cliche as it may be I could be considered an angry young man .. :)

Thanks for reading and I hope to learn much about the musician that I have grown to love from this forum and it's membership.

Ryan.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: A polite introduction

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hi Ryan. Welcome aboard.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thank you very much for the welcome W.S.S ? :)
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Hello, Ryan. Nice to make your acquantence. Hope you stick around.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
migdd

Post by migdd »

Welcome, Ryan. Hope you find much of interest on the board. Lots of great people here!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Welcome, dear. You're among friends here. :-)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thank you all for the very warm welcome !

It's a great forum populated by people from all corners of the globe. I look forward to some excellent discussion :)

Have a great day ,

Ryan.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

The wilderness?

Nice to meet you, Ryan.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hi there :)

"Wilderness" the great outdoors,nature, hiking , survival and bushcraft that sort of thing :)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Well, that ought to skew the EC fanbase data - I think we were leaning heavily to sedentary bookworm before.

Except for me.

And Goody2.

And oily, sometimes. All of us being somewhat hikist ourselves.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

In the past two years ,as I have matured I have found Elvis Costello and developed a passion for his music and I have been feverishly consuming his discography ever since.
Hi Ryan!
Nice to meet you! I'm rather new here also and my story is pretty much the same as yours--for the past 2 years I have been listening to Elvis with great intensity. Except, of course, I'm afraid I "matured" a long time ago (or perhaps I never did). But like you, I'm hearing a lot of stuff for the first time that everyone else heard when it was first released. I think this gives us an unusual perspective. I'm curious to know...which songs or albums have hit you the hardest on this musical journey? Which have you not heard yet?
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Welcome Ryan.

Hope you have fun here!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?