I Lost My Job because of the Recession / Company Downsizing

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I Lost My Job because of the Recession / Company Downsizing

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I know of at least 2 US users who have lost their jobs recently and thought we might could help each other out here, whether just moral support or listening to someone vent.

I just found out today that Migdd lost his job to company downsizing. Saw that on Facebook. Hope he didn't mind me saying it here, if he hadn't already.

Less Than Zero just recently lost his job to downsizing. About the same time they found out they were expecting their second child.

I'm sure there may be more that I don't know about, but we can always send kind words, or a laugh, or something to those who are in a pinch right now.

Please, if you or anyone else around here is in the same boat, feel free to mention it here.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Re: I Lost My Job because of the Recession / Company Downsizing

Post by scielle »

My employer wend belly-up in a rather spectacular fashion at the end of March. No big surprise, really - I was doing M&A advisory at an Icelandic investment bank. That Vanity Fair article ( Wall Street on the Tundra) was a bit too close to home - it's a tiny, town-sized country, Iceland is. The Thor they talk about was our chairman, and I frequently saw him around in the office. I actually know several people who were at the Elton John birthday concert...
Was fascinating watching it all melt down from the inside, but I'm certainly not looking forward to job-hunting in London in the next few months.
mood swung

Re: I Lost My Job because of the Recession / Company Downsizing

Post by mood swung »

There was something very Vonnegut-esque about that article, scielle. Thanks.
Like me, the "g" is silent.