Elvis Costello superfan Nick Jonas sits down with his idol

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis Costello superfan Nick Jonas sits down with his idol

Post by johnfoyle »

Paul posts to listserv -

(extract)

......... there will be a significant feature on Elvis Costello (in Rolling Stone) . Significant enough to be listed on the cover. The "cover star" of the issue will be Barack Obama, so look out for that issue in a few days time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/
Last edited by johnfoyle on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Re: Substantial EC article in the next Rolling Stone

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.rollingstone.com

The Schooling of Nick Jonas
The teen idol gets a master class from his own idol, Elvis Costello. By Jenny Eliscu

Is this the Nick Jonas??
http://news.sawf.org/Gossip/53286.aspx

September 19, 2008 (Sawf News) - They maybe celebrities but they are cute young boys who collectively live up to their squeaky clean image. The Jonas Brothers celebrated birthday boy Nick's 16th birthday with a late night baseball game at Los Angeles' Dodgers Stadium on Thursday, September 18.

"[Kevin, Joe and Nick] rented out the stadium last night to play a baseball game with some friends," a source told E!Online.

Nick turned 16 on Tuesday, September 16. His brothers, Joe, 19, and Kevin, 20, gifted him a golden retriever pup on the day, which he named 'Elvis' after two of his favorite musicians, Elvis Costello and Elvis Presley

Last edited by sweetest punch on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... razy-fans/

'So...this Selena chick....do tell me ALL...'
Photo: Art Streiber

In the current issue of Rolling Stone, Elvis Costello superfan Nick Jonas sits down with his idol to talk about writing habits and handling fame. “As far as fans go: The only difficult thing is when they go in our house,” says Jonas. “That’s kind of odd for anybody, I think.” Costello sympathizes, as he spent his early days as a pop sensation. “Around 1978, every single we released in England was a hit,” he says. “It was hard to take seriously when it was happening, because I just thought it was so absurd. I was suspicious of the success.” Check out the new issue for more on Costello and Jonas, including what pop records they’ve loved in the last ten years.
migdd

Post by migdd »

If the JB's recorded even one of EC's songs, the royalties could probably fund the recording of his next 20 albums.

I'm all for this.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis Costello superfan Nick Jonas sits down with his idol

Post by And No Coffee Table »

While it's significant enough to mention on the cover, the whole article runs only four pages, with two of them devoted to the photo which appears two posts above this one.

Nevertheless, it's a fairly interesting read. My favorite part is when Nick says he's in the middle of reading Graeme Thomson's EC biography, and EC replies, "Oh, my God."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

My favorite part is when Nick says he's in the middle of reading Graeme Thomson's EC biography, and EC replies, "Oh, my God."

Ha!

was Graeme's succinct response to an e-mail I sent him about this .

The blog for his latest book is here -

http://ishotamaninrenobook.blogspot.com/
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Nick Jonas, Fall Out Boy: is Our Man reached a new generation? :)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Neat take on all of thsi -

http://www.buzzgrinder.com/2008/elvis-c ... ip-parent/

Elvis Costello Is Your Hip Parent
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The full text of this is now on the RS site -

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... attraction
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some additional photos of Yoda 'n Luke - er sorry- Elvis 'n Nick -

http://detodoparavivir.blogspot.com/200 ... nteen.html

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Something to look forward too - or maybe not.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -the-band/

The Jonas Brothers: Not-So-Secret Fans of the Band

Nicole Frehsee

1/15/09, 12:11 pm EST

You already know that Nick Jonas idolizes Elvis Costello — but did you know he also digs the Band? At the Jonas Brothers’ January 4th show in Nashville, the trio busted out a cover of the Band’s classic 1968 track “The Weight” with help from Vince Gill, Phil Vassar and Christian artists Steven Curtis Champman and Michael W. Smith. (Think The Last Waltz, but with more Jesus and less pot.)

“That chorus is undeniably perfect for a group of people to sing together,” says Nick, who was inspired to tackle the harmony-heavy tune by his manager, a die-hard Band fan. “We were sitting up there like a supergroup — it was so cool.”

The Bros also put their spin on Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” (on which Jordin Sparks duetted), Don McLean’s “American Pie” and Bob Marley’s “Waiting in Vain.” “We pick our cover choices by the city we’re in,” says Nick. “Obviously, ‘Waiting in Vain’ isn’t from Nashville, but that’s one our band really likes to play, so we let them showcase their musical abilities.”

Despite the unorthodox (by Jonas standards) covers, the sold-out crowd was loving the set list. “Some of the younger fans didn’t know the lyrics,” says Nick. “But for the most part, people 16 and up were singing every word.” So which beloved tunes are the Jonases going to dust off next? “[Elton John’s] ‘Tiny Dancer’ might happen in the future,” says Nick. “And one day, maybe we’ll do ‘Allison’ with Mr. Costello.” He pauses, suddenly sounding shy. “Actually, there’s this really cool transition of ‘A Little Bit Longer’ that I already worked into it.”

Alison 'transitioned' with this - I can't see it ...

Got the news today
Doctor said I had to stay
A little bit longer
And I'll be fine
When I thought it'd all been done
When I thought it'd all been said
A little bit longer
And I'll be fine

But you don't know what you got
'Till it's gone
And you don't know what it's like
To feel so low
Every time you smile or laugh you glow
You don't even know
No no
You don't even know

All this time goes by
Still no reason why
A little bit longer
And I'll be fine
Waitin' on a cure
But none of them are sure
A little bit longer
And I'll be fine

But you don't know what you got
'Till it's gone
To feel so low
And every time you smile or laugh you glow
You don't even know
No no
You don't even know
No no
You don't even know
No no

Two, three, four!

Yeah!
And you don't know what you got
'Till it's gone
To feel so low
And every time you smile or laugh you glow
You don't even know
No
Yeah
Woah!

[Oooohhh]

So I wait 'till kingdom come
All the highs and lows are gone
A little bit longer
And I'll be fine
I'll be
Fine

[Additional lyrics]

So I'm finally here today
You've touched me here today
And I wish that I could stay
A little bit longer
And I will be fine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

OMG!

http://nickjonline.com/2009/01/live-cha ... y-a-favor/

Jan 18
LIVE CHAT: Do Kimmy a Favor
10:03 am by Chandler •

Kimmy
needs your help! She painted Nick an AWESOME picture of Elvis Costello, but she doesn’t know if he even received it! This has been bugging her for months, so all of us at NickJOnline would really be flattered if you could ask Nick about it until he answers (the more people who ask, the better) if your attending the Live Chat! Thanks for the help, it means a lot to Kimmy.

SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

Am i the only one, that really hates the whole Elvis-Jonas Brothers connection?

People are hearing about Elvis for entirely the wrong reason. i think Elvis was paid aloooot to sit with Nick, or just had some free time.

Do you really think some clueless 13 year old girl, is gonna listen to Elvis' music, and really get the messages or understand it? I mean, Its good that Elvis is getting some recognition from a younger audience. But i dont want it to be like this. its a total nightmare, and completely ironic and twisted.

They're nothing but a Fad, a flavor of the week, their music has no character or personality, its the most bland crap ive ever heard. Personally, i think the whole Elvis connection, was brought up by the producers, to give the 'Jonas Brother image' more depth by giving them an 'influence/idol" . I dont beleive any of this, one bit. Still, Once their gone and the Producers wanna exploit the next best thing, everyone will forget the Elvis thing anyway. But for now, its bugging the hell outta me.

Seriously, the Jonas Brothers represent everything that Radio,Radio was about, and i really wish they would go away.

Im sorry for the rant, go about your business.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Wow, SkaDan, you are really fired up. How old are you, again?

I have no problem with the connection. I think it's great for E.C. to get a bit of exposure with the younger kids. They need to be saved by his music. E.C. is the answer and if they turn to him, there is a chance it might transpire a burgeoning young talent into the next great American songwriter. (of course, I don't believe this would be one the Jonas Brothers and that includes the youngest one, who apparently will be taking Hollywood by storm with a music deal, tv deal, mass merchandising, etc. Yes, it is bizarre.)

I hope you don't mind my rebuttal, SkaDan. I hope you're getting straight A's this year.

MOJO
SkaDan

Post by SkaDan »

haha, I'm 22.

yes, with an intro to EC at a young age, they may learn to appreciate him as they progress in years, i did state that in my rant, and there'll be one aspiring musician that will be shown the light. BUT, the majority might just be on the bandwagon, giving support only trough the 'its cool' factor, you know "OMG, jonas brothers like Elvis Costello, that means He's like totally awesome!!' and they'll forget about the whole EC reference once the fad fades away, and thats what angers me, the fact that they only support something cause its cool, and not actually respecting it, and the fact that it's one of my favorite songwriters, just makes me completely furious. Maybe its that, and also that i despise the Jonas Brothers.

No, I don't mind, message boards are meant for discussion and debate.

and i haven't received my grades for this semester yet...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

As far as I'm concerned, if it gets his music more widely recognised, then it's a good thing.

Far too many of his great songs are not known by the wider world, and many of them should be rock standards and ballad classics, widely covered by a range of artists. Bring it on!
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Neil. wrote:As far as I'm concerned, if it gets his music more widely recognised, then it's a good thing.

Far too many of his great songs are not known by the wider world, and many of them should be rock standards and ballad classics, widely covered by a range of artists. Bring it on!
Exactly. If it makes people, young or old, aware of his music, then that's great. If younger kids are just jumping on the bandwagon, then that's cool too -- it's not like Elvis is exactly going to change his writing style or anything to pander to a younger audience, nor is he going to turn into a teen sensation appearing on the front cover of Teen Beat or whatever the hell the names of those magazines are.

Those young fans who are turned on by his music will undoubtedly find something about it they like. Everyone else on the bandwagon will probably buy "The First 10 Years", listen to it for a while, then go on to something else. No harm no foul.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes! The Curse Of Elvis takes a direct hit! There is a god!

http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/ ... ewsID=4065
It is fair to say that expectations were generally too high for Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience this weekend, but even so its opening weekend, estimated at $12.7 million, is a major disappointment. The biggest surprise is that it didn't even take number one spot on the weekend chart, in spite of Madea Goes to Jail dropping nearly 60% from its opening weekend.
migdd

Post by migdd »

A slam-dunk! Praise the Costello curse!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entert ... -fans.html

Jonas Brothers
talk about tour, TV show and the fans

posted by Jim Abbott on Mar 18, 2009

(extract)

They also aren’t ready to disclose the title of the new album, due June 15.

The guys say that the new music will expand the group’s sound, adding more horns and elements reflecting a list of influences that include Elvis Costello, Johnny Cash, Prince and Stevie Wonder. Costello, who sat for an interview by Nick Jonas for Rolling Stone, came up again and again. In the new material, the group wants to use metaphor in a way modeled after Costello’s writing, they say.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.jonasbrothersone.com/news/th ... ico-today/

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sandy writes-

'The Jonas Brothers arrived Puerto Rico today. Nick was wearing the Elvis Costello t-shirt that he once shared with ex girlfriend Selena Gomez. They are performing at Hato Rey, Puerto Rico Coliseo de Puerto Rico tonight. Do YOU think Sel will go?'

No, I don't!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 295327.ece

From The Times

May 18, 2009

Jonas Brothers — faith, hope and chastity

The squeaky-clean Christian pop trio can fill stadiums, but is there more to them than pearly teeth and promise rings?

(extract)

In the eye of the storm, there are signs that the Jonas Brothers — or a fraction of them, at least — might be wondering the same thing. Asked to name a career high in his brief but busy life, Nick Jonas makes no mention of the hysteria. Instead, he recalls a recent encounter with Elvis Costello, engineered, at his request, by Rolling Stone. “He was such an amazing guy,” Nick says. “I mean, just one song from someone like that can teach you so much. I Don’t Want to Go to Chelsea is one of those songs. I can’t listen to it enough.”
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

“I mean, just one song from someone like that can teach you so much. I Don’t Want to Go to Chelsea is one of those songs. I can’t listen to it enough.”
I guess it's nice to see that Nick has some awareness of actual music and perhaps isn't entirely the creation of the various corporate monoliths responsible for his stunning success. But, jeez, really? Chelsea? That's a song that taught him so much? That seems like an odd choice.
I think Mr. Jonas needs to dig a little deeper in the back catalog.

Anyway, he's just a kid. I shouldn't be crabby about him. And he's constantly being swarmed by thousands of Zombie Army Ant little girls. I wouldn't trade places with him for anything.
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09204/985572-51.stm

Says Nick Jonas ...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

On his favorite Elvis Costello album:

"My favorite album would actually have to be a compilation of the first 10 years of his work. It's the first thing that I was introduced to of his, and I'm not one of those people who is kind of offended by compilation CDs. I think that they're a great way for people to be introduced to an artist and what they've done over a certain amount of years, and that was my introduction that really got me started on Elvis Costello."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09204/985571-51.stm

By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

(extract)

"The songs that are on the new album are all things that we've really gone through, you know, personal experiences, that's where we get all our inspiration from," Nick adds. "But also we've been working on trying to use metaphors, in a way, to kind of mask a literal thing that happened to us. I think that, personally, Elvis Costello is excellent at doing that. And listening to his music and trying to do our best to imitate that gift that he has of being able to tell a story with using metaphors, I think is so, so cool, and we're working on that."

Interviews with Nick Jonas repeatedly come around to Elvis Costello, a name that Justin Timberlake, Nick Carter and Taylor Hanson never would have dropped. Nick and Costello even did an interview together for Rolling Stone.

That's not to say that Elvis fans should run out and buy "Lines, Vines and Trying Times" or even expect any morsel of it to sound like him. (He might be saving that for later.) As the recent Rolling Stone cover story noted, the Jonases occupy "an enormous gray area" between teen-pop like 'N Sync and contemporary rock bands like The Fray.