Elvis to perform at Obama's Inauguration

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis to perform at Obama's Inauguration

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 258068.ece

Washington faces overload as millions rush to see president sworn in

BARACK OBAMA’S presidential team must prepare for a looming social drama that could bring Washington to a halt on his first day in office.

Unprecedented excitement over the historic inauguration of America’s first black president is threatening to swamp the nation’s capital with a chaotic, week-long street party that may end up resembling a Martin Luther King rally held at the Woodstock festival.

Part solemn political ritual and part popular celebration, the formal swearing-in ceremonies on January 20 are expected to attract up to 4m visitors competing for 240,000 tickets to official functions, and only 95,000 hotel rooms.

Some of the biggest names in entertainment will lead the charge, including Hollywood liberals who kept low profiles during the election campaign for fear of hurting Obama’s chances. Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon, Oprah Winfrey and Anne Hathaway are expected at inaugural balls. Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé Knowles and Elvis Costello are among musicians vying to perform. The MTV channel is hosting its own “Be the Change” ball, to be televised live from the Ronald Reagan conference centre nearby.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis to perform at Obama's Inauguration

Post by bronxapostle »

SUCH a turnoff to see your fave musical acts brown-nosing the political arena....UGH!!!!!!! EC & BRUCE are now reduced to #2 and #3 of my favorite acts. #1 NOW....RYAN ADAMS & THE MF CARDINALS!!!! they will not be "ball"ing with Obama! don't get me wrong....all the best for our new prez; it is just YUCK what E and Bruce are willing to stoop to nowadays.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Can't agree with you on this one BA. Obviously, as an Obama supporter and an EC fan, I am thrilled at the connection. I don't have a problem with artists stumping for causes and pols. It actually takes some guts and conviction as you are guaranteed to alienate some of your fan base. And I hate to break it to you, but I have personally heard Ryan Adams (one of my absolute favorites as well) support liberal pols. Still, to each his own....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

disagreement is cool POP! i am sure RA has had a say as well....it's just the endlessness of more especially BRUCE. and E likes to get in there a tad much too. DEFINITELY not my favorite part of their work.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.demconwatchblog.com/2008/12/ ... e-and.html

Elvis Costello to Headline The Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball

WASHINGTON, DC (December 1, 2008) – The Creative Coalition announced today that Elvis Costello will be the featured musical guest at their Inaugural Ball on Tuesday evening, January 20, 2009 to commemorate the Presidential inauguration. The Ball is a benefit gala for The Creative Coalition (the nonprofit, nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) advocacy arm of the arts and entertainment communities). Confirmed hosts in attendance include Members of Congress, leaders from the entertainment industry, business, policy and media.

Click on www.thecreativecoalition.org for sponsorship or ticket information.

WHAT: The Creative Coalition's 2009 Inaugural Ball with a special performance by Elvis Costello

WHO: Confirmed hosts in attendance include: Co-Presidents of The Creative Coalition Tim Daly and Tony Goldwyn, Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Tim Robbins, Kerry Washington, Susan Sarandon, Jane Krakowski, Alfre Woodard, Barry Levinson, Dana Delany, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Wendie Malick, Josh Lucas, Matthew Modine, Rachael Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Connie Britton, Richard Schiff, Ellen Burstyn, Giancarlo Esposito, Gloria Reuben, Lynn Whitfield, Tamara Tunie, Tom Fontana, Sue Kramer, Kim Raver, Maura Tierney and more.

Congressional Hosts include: Senator Max Baucus, Senator Richard Burr, Senator Benjamin Cardin, Senator Robert Casey, Jr., Senator Byron L. Dorgan, Senator Chuck Grassley, Senator Frank Lautenberg, Senator Patrick Leahy, Senator Barbara S. Mikulski, Senator Ben Nelson, Senator Bernard Sanders, Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky, Senator Arlen Specter, Congressman John Spratt, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, Congressman Gary Ackerman, Congressman Joe Baca, Congressman Howard Berman, Congressman Alan Boyd, Congressman Michael C. Burgess, M.D., Congressman Lois Capps, Congressman, Congressman Russ Carnahan, Congressman Mike Capuano, Dennis Cardoza, Congressman Christopher Carney, Congresswoman Donna Christensen, Congresswoman Yvette Clarke, Congressman John Conyers, Jr., Congressman Danny Davis, Congressman Peter DeFazio, Congressman Norm Dicks, Congressman Lloyd Doggett, Congresswoman Donna Edwards, Congresswoman Chaka Fattah, Congressman Barney Frank, Congressman Jim Gerlach, Congressman Charlie Gonzalez, Congressman Bart Gordon, Congressman Gene Green, Congressman Raul Grijalva, Congressman Luis Guiterrez, Congresswoman Jane Harman, Congressman Maurice Hinchey, Congressman Mike Honda, Congressman Darrell Issa, Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr., Congressman Jim Langevin, Congressman Steven LaTourette, Congresswoman Barbara Lee, Congresswoman Nita Lowey, Congresswoman Betty McCollum, Congressman Jim McDermott, Congressman Gregory Meeks, Congressman Dennis Moore, Congressman Jim Moran, Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard, Congressman Adam Schiff, Congresswoman Hilda Solis, Congressman Pete Stark, Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey

WHEN: Tuesday evening, January 20, 2009
9:00 pm

WHERE: Harman Center for the Arts
610 F Street, NW
Washington, DC
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Often what we 'read' is innaccurate/lies, but FFS ...

... DPAM, there is real work still in Eire rather than collecting money elsewhere ...
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

What's the deal about ragging on EC? The man is on top and you need to find a way to bring him down? I don't get it. HE RULES. It's good to see that he is gaining more exposure. It's about time! Off to see Dave Dondero. Late.. MOJO
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463305,00.html

Obama’s Rockin’ Inaugural

The parties set around the 2009 Inauguration are still forming, but one has come together that should be the rocking night of the whole deal.

The Creative Coalition already announced an acoustic performance by Elvis Costello for its Harman Center for the Arts celebration on the night of January 20th.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

It also says Sam Moore and Sting will be on the bill, so there are obvious collaborative possibilities.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I apologise - I am quite happy for anyone to jump on coat-tails of best chance ...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/columnis ... Jolie.html

Speaking of The Police, USAToday.com says lead bloviator Sting - a self-professed expert in tantric sex - has been invited to perform for Barack Obama supporters at Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball in Washington on Jan. 20. The Elvis Costello-hosted affair, which will feature Anne Hathaway, Alfre Woodard, Ron Howard, Spike Lee, Ashley Judd, Giancarlo Esposito and literally, like, 100 other A-listers, is sold out. (The cheapest tix cost $10,000 per couple.)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If any board members are going and need to cancel, let me know and I'll see if I can make it at the last minute.

I think I've got a spare $10,000 down the side of the sofa. I don't mind if you've only got more expensive tickets.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

It's a top arts story on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2008 ... ncert.html

Costello heads inauguration concert lineup

British singer Elvis Costello will head an all-star lineup at a concert at the Harman Center of the Arts in Washington, D.C., on U.S. president-elect Barack Obama's inauguration day.

Rock stars Sting and Sam Moore will also perform at the Jan. 20 event after Obama is sworn into office as the 44th U.S. president.

Seal, Ashley Judd, Anne Hathaway, Susan Sarandon, Marcia Cross, film director Spike Lee and others will appear at the sold-out event that will raise money for the American non-profit arts and entertainment advocacy group The Creative Coalition.

Performances are scheduled to wrap up around midnight.

Speculation about which artists would be selected has been rife since Obama won the U.S. election on Nov. 4.

4-day celebration
The inauguration festivities will span four days, from Jan. 18-21, the Washington Post has reported. Events will include a Jan. 20 inauguration parade with dozens of marching bands from across the U.S. including two from Obama's high school in Honolulu.

Former vice-president Al Gore will be the honorary chairman of the 2009 Green Inaugural Ball on Jan. 19 at the National Portrait Gallery.

The inauguration of the first black U.S. president is expected to draw millions of visitors to the U.S. capital. Washington has issued an emergency bill that will allow restaurants with liquor licences to serve food and alcohol 24 hours a day from Jan. 17 through Jan. 21.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

johnfoyle wrote:...USAToday.com says lead bloviator Sting - a self-professed expert in tantric sex (emphasis mine) - has been invited to perform for Barack Obama supporters at Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball...
that totally cracked me up. still giggling.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
verbal gymnastics

There are a number of amusing connotations aren't there? :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Brief mention -

http://blogs.abcnews.com/juju/2009/01/h ... jug-1.html

Elvis Costello is so fun live. One man, one guitar, one amplifier. He finished up the set w/ "pump it up.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... 20Costello

WASHINGTON - JANUARY 20: Musicians Elvis Costello and Sam Moore perform during The Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball at the Harmon Center for the Arts on January 20, 2009 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jeff Vespa/WireImage)

WASHINGTON - JANUARY 20: Musicians Sting and Elvis Costello perform on stage during The Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball at the Harmon Center for the Arts on January 20, 2009 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jeff Vespa/WireImage)

WASHINGTON - JANUARY 20: Musicians Sting, Elvis Costello and Sam Moore perform on stage during The Creative Coalition's Inaugural Ball at the Harmon Center for the Arts on January 20, 2009 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jeff Vespa/WireImage)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Glad to see EC wore his dress skull scarf and shaved for the momentous event.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So does anyone know what he sang apart from Pump It Up?

I presume PLU was on the set-list!

Nx
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dcexaminer.com/opinion/blogs ... 12209.html

(extract)

Elvis Costello
kicked off the entertainment by joking, “Why did they pick me? All my songs are depressing. Isn’t this supposed to be a celebration?”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481425,00.html

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roger Friedman

(extract)

Later, Sting headed over to the beautiful Harman Center Theater to do his third show in 24 hours as special guest for Sam "Soul Man" Moore. Full disclosure: I helped put these musicians together gratis, along with the very fine Elvis Costello.

What I didn’t know: that Costello and Moore would duet for the first time in 25 years on Moore’s Sam & Dave hit, "I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down." They did the early, slow version, and segued into the Costello rave up. It was brilliant, and breathtaking.

(Costello, by the way, had opened the evening with a 90 minute set of songs solo, just acoustic, picking cherries from his extensive catalog including "Shipbuilding," "What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace Love and Understanding," "Alison," and "Pump it Up.")

Then Sting joined Moore for "None of Us Are Free," with the song’s writer Brenda Russell on background vocals. They did this duet on Moore’s "Overnight Sensational" album in 2006. The two singers then turned in an R&B energized gospel version of "Every Breath You Take" featuring Moore’s band with Ivan Bodley and the Uptown Horns. I can only hope it turns up on YouTube soon. There were many standing ovations all night, especially when Moore, Sting, and Costello joined forces on "Soul Man" and a tribute to Billy Preston, "You Are So Beautiful."

During the final number, Moore with friends on "Amazing Grace," the song and the moment were so moving that an African American female U.S. Army officer on stage, in her dress uniform, was moved to sobs. Actor Billy Baldwin, who was standing near her, comforted the officer until her husband got to her. It was very poignant.

The audience was in fact filled with stars who’d been junketed into Washington by the hard partying Creative Coalition. Among them: Matthew Modine, Dana Delany, Susan Sarandon, Gloria Reuben, Richard Schiff, Lawrence O’Donnell, Barry Levinson, Tamara Tunie, Connie Britton, Tim Daly, Tony Goldwyn, Marisa Tomei with actor boyfriend Logan Marshall Green and so on. It’s a good thing the tickets to this event were $5,000 and up: The group was put up at the tony St. Regis Hotel and had exclusive tickets to the swearing in.

Toward the very end of the show, Allman Brothers’ ace guitarist Warren Haynes, considered a rock god, showed up after his band played the MidAtlantic Ball, also at the Convention Center. "Sam Moore is my hero," he said, and two are planning to work together again soon.

Backstage, I ran into Fisher Stevens, who’s on his way back to Sundance today because his documentary, "The Cove," is getting rave reviews. Ben Silverman, NBC’s wunderkind programming chief, was also there to root on Sam, Elvis, and Sting, along with the latter’s glamorous wife, Trudie Styler, sporting a patriotic electric blue gown. Just to show her support for President Obama, Styler took time out earlier in the evening at the Neighborhood Ball to snap up over a thousand bucks’ worth of souvenirs for the couple’s six kids.

But it was Moore’s show that had the most relevance maybe of the whole Inaugural weekend. Back in the mid 60s, Sam & Dave used to tour the South raising money for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, Mahalia Jackson and others. Moore is 73 and his voice has never sounded so vibrant. Like Bennett, he just keeps getting better and better. The audience felt it too. By the end of the show, half of their number were on the stage, trying to dance along. Very, very cool.
verbal gymnastics

Do you reckon anyone bootlegged it or posted clips on YouTube? :lol:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Do you reckon anyone bootlegged it or posted clips on YouTube? :lol:
41 seconds of Soulman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB-4HJTU70Y
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks.