New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Pretty self-explanatory
Boy With A Problem

Re: New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by Boy With A Problem »

jmm wrote:Having been lucky enough to have had the chance to both attend the taping of the TB episode and talk to EC himself about it after .... They also edited out some comments TB made about the poor state of songwriting today. When EC and I talked about these specific comments, he said something to the effect of "while I respect his opinion, I don't agree".

IMHO it seems the respect is mutual
This is kind of the problem with the show - or maybe the way it's edited. It would have been more interesting if they could have aired a discussion/disagreement on the state of songwriting. It seems Elvis is letting too much stuff pass in order not to offend his guests. What would be wrong with an open discussion.

Also - did you notice the slight dis of DK's playing with TB proclaiming more than once that Bill Charlap was the best jazz pianist since Bill Evans?
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:It's disapointing that Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Purple Haze and Sunshine Of Your Love are not used.
pophead2k wrote:'Sunshine of Your Love' was a pointless exercise though, with the deep catalogs of everyone concerned.
Hmmm? Could there be multiple edits of these shows, with "Sunshine of Your Love" airing in one country but not in another?
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Some thoughts on the James Taylor episode:

You realize what a great harmony singer Elvis is in the off-the-cuff duet of "I Think She Still Cares"

However, Elvis overpowers James Taylor in "Crying in the Rain". He should have backed off the mic a little. Granted, he would have to be 3 feet back or more not to overpower James Taylor.

I have never been much of a James Taylor fan - I find him a little boring. But, "Fire and Rain" is quite beautiful here. And, James' imitation of George Jones was great.

Nice of James to dress up for the show.

And, Elvis, you should not get into the fat guy (Pavorotti, Orson Welles, etc...) habit of wearing the scarf around your neck. It looks stupid and makes you look even fatter.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From the Tony Bennett episode:
Cold, Cold Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1yHZc8Tfg
I've Got The World On A String: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrCtc6DJ-EY
I'm Old Fashioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmv9LqGHtc
The Way You Look Tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd-GHKRwn34
Who Cares? (So Long As You Care For Me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5XCnJoXjY
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Also - did you notice the slight dis of DK's playing with TB proclaiming more than once that Bill Charlap was the best jazz pianist since Bill Evans?
Actually, I happen to think Bill Charlap's wife is one of the best jazz piano players around these days. Renee Rosnes, who incidentally is also from Vancouver and played the local Vancouver and Victoria clubs at the time Diana was starting out there, currently plays mostly with the SF Jazz Collective.

http://www.reneerosnes.com/
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Still no sign of Spectacle on CTV, despite the fact that the program is a Canadian co-production. Bah!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Hmmm? Could there be multiple edits of these shows, with "Sunshine of Your Love" airing in one country but not in another?
I had a quick zip through my recording of the Police/Spectacle show and can confirm that "Sunshine..." was not used in the Channel 4 broadcast.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

johnfoyle wrote:
I had a quick zip through my recording of the Police/Spectacle show and can confirm that "Sunshine..." was not used in the Channel 4 broadcast.
That is so strange. The version that aired on Sundance preview ended with the Walking on the Moon/Watching the Detectives mash up and then went almost immediately into Sunshine of your Love with Sting on lead vox and Andy Summers playing some guitar solos.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Some tedious legal reason?

The typically splendid The Word kicks off 2009 with a typically splendid article plus interview by Mark Ellen all about the show. I can't scan it or type it out for you, but I do recommend purchasing it! Ellen on top form saying that many music shows have suffered from either being presented by critics, e.g. him, wanting to pin their theory on everything (which Elvis confesses to being guilty of with Tony Bennett re Bill Evans), or musicians, e.g. Jools, who have conversational interludes that never develop beyond their standard lines, 'what was the first record that made you want to pick up a guitar?' Elvis is typically astute and also humble and honest: 'I hope people get over the somewhat halting nature of my presentational style' and also comes up with a great simile that will stop us thinking he's 'moving into television', 'Singing in front of a band is like standing in front of a jet engine, so I'm not looking for a long-term career in television here!'

Great article, made me appreciate the show more (which I confess I've not watched anything like enough of, with two whole episodes awaiting me on tape). Can't wait to see them all.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
woz

Post by woz »

From the December 19, 2008 Los Angeles Times:http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... -memo.html

The 39 most memorable pop music moments of 2008:

Best good news on TV: "Spectacle" (Sundance Channel)
If you haven't tuned into this new series, find it; if you don't have cable, subscribe. Elvis Costello is the ultra-informed, congenial, sometimes provocative host, giving each week's guest the time, respect and knowledge to explore music -- not gossip -- in a way that hasn't been seen on the small screen for what feels like eons. So far, he's conducted wide-ranging talks and musical demonstrations with Elton John, Lou Reed with Julian Schnabel and former President Clinton (talking about how playing sax and understanding music informed his duties as chief executive). Among those still to come this season: the Police (at the tail end of their reunion tour), Rufus Wainwright, Tony Bennett, James Taylor, Herbie Hancock, She & Him (pictured) with Jenny Lewis and Jakob Dylan. For real music lovers, this is must-see TV. (RL) Photo: Merge Records

I hope everyone had a happy new year and here's to hopefully some more live shows in L.A. (Can't complain too much as he did a few here in 2008, but nothing wrong with hoping.)

Cheers.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Just saw the RW episode on On Demand. Very nice show. For some strange reason I was focusing on EC's hat. It had a skull & crossbones on it. I don't know what to make of individuals who wear clothing displaying symbols of death. I do not wear Ed Hardy stuff.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

From The Police episode:
Roxanne & Alison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgV6IOopi68
Watching The Detectives, Walking On The Moon & Sunshine Of Your Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxtQqcW60A
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

How extraordinary. The Channel 4 edition of the Police/Spectacle show ends with the WTD/Walking On The Moon 'mash up' , with the credits running up as the song finishes. This weeks Sundance airing in the U.S. ( as seen on youTube) ends with the mash up , followed by Cream's 'Sunshine Of Your Love' , with the same credits running over the end of that. Actually both versions have the exact same last ten seconds (or so) , the artists taking a bow at the stage front. So it isn't a matter of C4 merely chopping of (so they could show , for instance, more ads. for opportunities to phone 'mature women in your area') 'Sunshine..' , the credit rolls show these are two different edits. It must have been a copyright issue.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Get ready for that red hat -

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Is that the one with the skull and crossbones? That I've got to see.
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Saw the Rufus show last night. It was alittle strange because when I saw the show it was taped with Renee Flemming. He makes reference to his first guest because she was his second. Also most of Rufus's talk about his opera was with Renee Flemming so that was gone. The London Wainwright song was actually taped on another night. I think it was after the Mellencamp/Cash.. show. It was actually taped after they kicked everyone out. I got to stay because I had made friends with the camera man. They put an audience in afterwards. I think they left out Rufus singing Hallelujah also. If you are curious I can be seen in a crowd shot after Rufus's joke about everyone playing lacrosse and him listening to opera.

I thought the Police show was hysterical. You can tell they can't get along for long periods of time.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'll be watching the Rufus show tomorrow as well as the Norah Jones episode.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've now watched the first three episodes.

I particularly enjoyed the Elton John and Rufus Wainwright episodes. The Elton one made me want to check out more of Laura Nyro - any recommendations as to where to start?

The Police episode - well what can you say? The body language of Sting and Stewart Copeland was priceless. What a twat Mr Copeland is.

Were only 5 episodes broadcast in the UK?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

The Rufus episode was fantastic. I thought Elvis really had to rely on his improving interviewing skills to keep the thing going and he did a good job. Rufus' performances were exquisite (causing me head directly to iTunes to fill in some gaps) and Elvis did a great job with 'New Paint'. I also appreciated that during the duet with Rufus and his mom, Elvis just strummed some accompaniment without taking over. Excellent.

The Guitar Pull episode was equally satisfying for me. Norah Jones and Mellencamp got a bit of the short shrift I thought, but it all worked. Kristofferson's performances were fantastic, especially 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' and the ensemble did a nice job with the Cash tune and 'Me and Bobby McGee'.

Overall these two episodes showed the real potential of this program better than the previous episodes I've seen. I still have not seen the Smokey Robinson, Herbie Hancock, Renee Fleming, Bill Clinton or She and Him programs.

If this is renewed, who do you fancy seeing next year? A few off the top of my head would include Ron Sexsmith, Nick Lowe, Lyle Lovett, Steve Early, Bruce Springsteen, Solomon Burke and Aimee Mann.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'd like to see...

Tom Waits (unlikely I know)
Joni Mitchell (her voice is shot, but this could be interesting)
Nick Cave
Randy Newman
Herbie Hancock
Mark Oliver Everett (E from Eels)
Andy Partridge (Though I suspect his tinnitus and stage fright would keep him away, the interview alone would be worth it)
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

All good selections. How about:

Sonny Rollins
Little Richard
Mose Allison
Loretta Lynn
Paul Weller
Dave Alvin
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
migdd

Post by migdd »

How about:

The surviving members of The Band
Graham Parker/Joe Jackson/EC song pull
John Hiatt/Ry Cooder/Nick Lowe
Randy Newman
Lucinda Williams
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

All great selections, but boy would I love to see Mose Allison!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Bobness
Brian Wilson
Rolf Harris
Robert Wyatt
Frank Black Francis
signed with love and vicious kisses