Best gigs of 2008

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Best gigs of 2008

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well there seems to be more and more live music around and this is increasingly where artists can make their cash, so what did you see? I had just about the most thrilling year for gigs of my life, so will relive it. In some kind of order:

1. Radiohead - Victoria Park. Perfect summer evening for an outdoor gig. First time seeing one of my favourite bands playing alll of the sublime In Rainbows with amazingly good sound, with Thom Yorke surpassing his recorded renditions. One of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to, from Reckoner all the way through to Paranoid Android. Great light show too.

2. Fleet Foxes - Cambridge Junction. Could argue with it being only 2, and a friend did say it was the best gig she'd ever been to (even ahead of Jeff Buckley in the same venue 13 years back). Even better than expected. fuller, rockier live sound. Fantastic vocals. Pecknold is simply a genius. His solo numbers, especially Oliver James, were spellbinding.

3. Elbow - Cambridge Corn Exchange. A real celebratory gig. Sold out before they won the Mercury prize. One Day Like This brought Glastonbury indoors. Great Expectations surpassed expectations. Scattered Black and Whites the perfect closer. Weather To Fly, sigh. Bones Of You so good live. What a gig.

4. Ron Sexsmith - Sala El Sol, Madrid. It's been a long time since I went to a Madrid gig. got off an aeroplane and went to this, and thought I'd arrived in heaven. Nice to be surrounded by some Sexsmitheros, as I believe the Spanish delegation of the Lovers of Ron fanclub style themselves. he left out loads of my fave songs, didn't even play most of my faves off the new LP, but everything was perfect. What a back catalogue and what a performer.

5. Lloyd Cole - Cambridge Junction 2. Repeat performance in the same venue only 8 months after the last show there. Hope he comes back son. Even better setlist, especially with some fan chosen faves for proposed inclusion on the forthcoming live recording from the Dublin shows, e.g. Vin Ordinaire and For Crying Out Loud.

6. John Martyn - Corn Exchange. All of Grace and Danger including Sweet Little Mystery, which is very special to me, and then some classics like Solid Air and May You Never. The voice is getting growlier, his speech is a mad mumble, he seems to be off his head on rum, he's a total genius and a joy to behold.

7. Martha Wainwright - Corn Exchange. Not as thrilling as her stand up show at the Junction a couple of years back, despite an improved setlist through having two LPs to work from. Sit down Corn Ex can get a bit cold and lifeless, but fabulous Martha made up for all that, not to mention her legs (I only put that in for 'Boo).

Well I guess that's all I saw, but it was more than I had the right to expect. It was heaven. Richard Thompson, Moz and possiblly David Byrne in first half of 2009, long may the great gigs continue. It's a costly business, but I'm increasingly inclined to spend my cash on it over actual CDs.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Re: Best gigs of 2008

Post by martinfoyle »

Before years out I'll have seen over 60 gigs. Most I enjoyed, here are the great ones.

1. Gutter Twins- The Ambassador Theatre Apr 5
Sell out show, they could do no wrong and knew. Great mix of styles, all coming out in the wash as bluesy soul; St James Infirmiary was a highlight of many. Mark Lanegan nearly smiled, the vibe was that good.

2. Vetiver - Crawdaddy June 8
Wonderful sublime stuff, the cover of Bobby Charles I Must Be in a Good Place Now probably the musical highlight of the year for me. Telling to see the lead singer going straight from the stage, still sweating, to the merchandise table, and taking sales like a trouper.

3. Bruce Springsteen - RDS Arena May 22 & 23
Awesome, exhausting shows, had to queue each day from 3 to get into the pit. Well worth the effort, would have gone the 3rd night, I just didn't have the energy.

4. Tom Waits - The Ratcellar Theatre July 31
More than lived up to the hype & ticket price. Just perfect all the way through, Toms scary intensity provided an almost unsettling edge.

5. Bob Log III - Whelans Sept 24
A perfect example of the many wonderful little shows that take place nearly 7 nights a week in the great little venues within easy walking distance. I could only see the top of his helmet, great atmosphere.

And so on. Just about all the shows were great. Except for Lloyd Cole. The night I saw him he was a bag of nerves, and was indulged too much by the adoring audience. Until the encore when someone told him to cut it out, which pissed him off, and then he was great.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hardly seen anything this year.

Nick Lowe and Graham Parker at the Music Hall in Tarrytown, NY was a great show.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
alexv

Post by alexv »

EC/Police at Jones Beach was the first EC show I've ever attended where the highlight had nothing to do with the Man himself. An unbelievably beautiful evening, with the ocean as a backdrop, and a stadium full of Police fans digging the ego that is Sting. He put on a great show and made our boy's set seem amateurish by comparison.

Squeeze (sorry, Three Squeezes and a Duffer)/Ron was the musical highlight, however. A packed house of middle-age Ct. types in a small, intimate theater got Ron at his warmest. Then came Squeeffers. I expected a relaxed night of nostalgia and pretty songs. Not to be. As soon as the four teenagers in the audience (two boys/two girls) decided to stand, dance and joyfully mouth the lyrics to each and every Squeeze song (bless them for their great taste in music), seats were abandoned and the rather overweight frumpy crowd got some much needed exercise. We joined in the fun and it was rock and roll nirvana. Bless the young.
Otis Westinghouse

Sounds great! Were the teens proud to get the oldies off their asses?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

A few highlights this year:

Sexsmith/Lowe at a tiny little theater.

The Hold Steady in a sweaty club.

REM/Modest Mouse/The National at a huge outdoor venue.

Chatham County Line back at the sweaty club.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

1. Leonard Cohen at Sony Centre For The Performing Arts. Although I caught a brief glimpse of the still vital Leonard at a book store event two or three years ago, I never thought I'd have the opportunity to see him do a full show. Tickets were pricy, but this was still easily one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

2. Neil Young and Wilco at Air Canada Centre. This one just happened a few weeks ago, and I'm still reeling. I'd seen Neil three times before; twice with CSNY and once on his own. This performance blew those previous ones out of the water, particularly "Powderfinger," "Cinnamon Girl" and "Cowgirl In The Sand." Wilco were also incredible, though as with any opening act they received a mixture of love and hate from the audience. This was a general admission show, and standing right in front of the stage was a highlight.

3. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss at Molson Amphitheatre. It was cool to see one of my favourite albums of 2007 realized on stage. Seeing this unusual pairing in person was quite the novelty, but the renditions of Zeppelin tunes like "Battle of Evermore" made perfect sense. For me, one of the major highlights of this show was seeing T Bone Burnett as bandleader. The whole band was incredible though.

4. Gary Louris at Mod Club Theatre. The first time I saw The Jayhawks in 2000, the band started late after their equipment got stuck at the border. As a result, I had to leave early so I could catch the last train home. Three years later, I had tickets to see them on what would end up being their final show, but had to pull out at the last minute because I had a case of food poisoning. Finally, in 2008, I was able to see Jayhawks songs like "I'd Run Away," "Blue" and "Settled Down Like Rain" come to life alongside new solo tunes by the band's frontman Gary Louris. Great show, with a special appearance by The Sadies for a rousing "You AIn't Goin' Nowhere."

5. Squeeze & Aimee Mann at Kool Haus. Aimee Mann was someone I had wanted to see for a while, but bad timing always got in the way of it actually happening. This year I got to see her twice... once in a brief in-store performance and again with a lengthy opening slot for Squeeze. It was definitely worth the wait, as her new album is her best in years. Squeeze were also excellent cranking out hit after hit after hit.

Honourable Mention: During my brief trip to Massachusetts this summer I was able to experience an open-air performance at the Tanglewood Jazz Festival. I'd definitely recommend anyone who makes it down there during the summer to check it out.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice list! Your top two would have been way up there for me too and not getting to a Cohen show was a big regret this year. Maybe there'll be more?
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

The entire New Orleans Jazz Fest was great including Elvis

The three Spectacle tapings I went to

John Hiatt at the Keswick In Philadelphia

Joe Jackson at the Keswick In Phila

Southside Johnny (with Bobby Bandiera) at the Keswick In Phila, Bobby is one of the great underated guitarist and singers.

You might notice I like the Keswick
Otis Westinghouse

always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Very nice ..when were you in my neck of the woods?
Otis Westinghouse

Have internet, will travel!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

My top few would be:
1. Bruce Springsteen & The East St Band at the Emirates. First ever concert at the Emirates and as an Arsenal member got first choice of tickets. Great show, brilliant amosphere, hoarse voice form singing along, which you just have to do with the Boss.
2. Ryan Adams & the Cardinals at Cambridge Corn Exchange. Second time I've seen them and this was much better; very tight band, Ryan's so shy though, isn't he?
3. Eels at Sheffield City Hall. First time I've seen "them" though really just E and the Chet. Would have preferred a full band but still excellent.
4. The Sadies at Norwich Arts Centre. Didn't know anything about them but sounded interesting so went. Hugely enjoyable. Psychedelic cowboy film surf-rock anyone?
5. Southside Johnny & The Astbury Jukes at Norwich Waterfront. Always does a good show; great fun.
6. Neil Young at Hammersmith Apollo. One of the greats that I'd not seen before. He's rather in his own world in gigs and to me the pacing didn't seem right. Glad I went though.
7. Fleet Foxes at Norwich Waterfront. Enoyable gig but all the mega-adulation heaped on them bemuses me somewhat. Some way behind my top 5.

Next year already got Teddy Thompson, Richard Thompson, Nick Lowe and the Gaslight Anthem booked.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I enjoyed all these in '08-

Elvis Costello /Liverpool Philharmonic - Liverpool
Bruce Springsteen and co. - Dublin
Mauricio Pollini- Vienna
John Barry and Orchestra - Dublin
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Cardiff
Philip Glass - Dundalk , Ireland
Chuck Berry - Dublin
Dirtbombs - Dublin
Allen Toussaint - London
Jenny Lewis - Dublin
Fleet Foxes - Dublin
Neil Young - Dublin
Teddy Thompson - Dublin

All very safe 'n mainstream - my brother's far more adventurous list prompts me to make a better effort next year!
Otis Westinghouse

Fishfinger king wrote:7. Fleet Foxes at Norwich Waterfront. Enoyable gig but all the mega-adulation heaped on them bemuses me somewhat. Some way behind my top 5.
Had you heard the LP much before going? I think I would be blown away seeing them without having heard a note, and I remember well the anticipation with which I heard White Winter Hymnal on the Word sampler having hear some of the buzz and thinking 'wow, all hype more than justified'. Just 'Oliver James' performed solo would be enough to remember it forever. One of the massive highlights for me of 2008 has been the discovery that there are still and I guess always will be incredible new artists to discover. Mega-adulation is only a semi-adequate response to such riches.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm with FK when it comes to the Fleet Foxes. I have the album and it is nice enough but definitely over-hyped.

Best Gigs

Eliza Carthy and band - Reading
Chris Wood - Basingstoke
Chris Wood & Hugh Lupton - Mud hut
Billy Bragg - Reading
Eric & Amy show - Portsmouth (or was that last year?)

Already booked for EC& Brodsky's and Ruth Notman in 2009.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby - Portsmouth - saw them twice this year, but the Portsmouth gig was better - only 23 people - there were more than twice that amount at the Boston gig. Great new record - lots of energy - fun to hear Hit & Miss Judy for the first time live.

Lyle Lovett and His Large Band - Cape Cod Melody Tent - The band was large - too large to fit everyone on the revolving stage - complete with a gospel choir - a couple of outstanding background singers and Lyle's sweet voice.

Mose Allison - Pizza Express in Soho - Mose his piano, bass and drums - timeless. I was a little drunk (!!!) and almost literally ran into him on the way out.

David Byrne - New Bedford, MA - A very arty show and I nearly cried when he launched into I Zimbra early in the set - remembering a friend we lost this year and how much we dug the Fear of Music album when it came out. Very arty very professional show - not a dud song in the bunch.

The Boss - Gillette Stadium Foxboro - First stadium gig I'd ever been to and I was about a million miles away, but I had some binoculars and the sound was ok. I don't think I've ever seen anyone work harder - too many dopey fans though.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Otis Westinghouse

so lacklustre wrote:I'm with FK when it comes to the Fleet Foxes. I have the album and it is nice enough but definitely over-hyped.
Does your love of folk not extend to the American variety? Seems to me they aren't hyped enough. Not in The Word's ten best of the year, something like 23 in Observer's top 50, etc. Outrageous! I'm trying to compensate.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

No. 2 in Q behind Kings of Leon (also over-rated). Dido, Jack Johnson and Coldplay were in their top 50 and no sign of EC, so draw your own conclusions.

Forgot that I saw Eric and Amy at the Brickmakers in Norwich as I'd looked through past tickets. Put them at 6 and drop the Fleet Foxes to 8. :roll:
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Otis Westinghouse

Still bothering with Q?

Wouldn't expect to see EC in any of these lists, any more than Ron Sexsmith, or Lloyd Cole (in the years when he's releasing). All reviews I saw for Exit Strategy were dismissive, inc. my beloved Word, and yet it's one of the most satisfying records of the year for those in the know, a progression from his previous work, in terms of the Cuban percussion and horns at least, and stuffed with great tunes. I would rather have that to make the day taste sweeter than 95% of the stuff that gets in these lists. With Fleet Foxes it's satisfying to see see such artistic brilliance met with acclaim. A rare sense of something unique and very special that's also getting the hype. I have no doubt that Pecknold has the talent to go on and produce other equally remarkable work.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Over-hyped on this board is what I meant, and not just by you. I like the album, but it won't be in my top ten of the year. I like the folk genre (all varieties) en generale, and off shoots of it. It doesn't mean I have to automatically love everything falling on (or under) that umbrella.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Over-hyped on this board is what I meant, and not just by you. I like the album, but it won't be in my top ten of the year. I like the folk genre (all varieties) en generale, and off shoots of it. It doesn't mean I have to automatically love everything falling on (or under) that umbrella.
Something in Fleet Foxes' music doesn't clearly doesn't appeal to Arsenal fans. There must be a coded "Kill Wenger" in there is you play it backwards. :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Indeed, there must be something about that connection!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Lucinda Williams/Charles Louvin
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

I take it that's a joke mishearing of 'Bennie and the Jets'!