Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis,

It's too early to say whether I like Reality better than Heathen. Heathen holds a lofty place for me, as it proved such a fine return to form for Bowie. It sounds like it could easily have been the follow-up to Lodger but still sounds modern and I love that.

Reality may be less successful in the achievement of a cohesive sound. I'm still trying to figure that out. But I think it's a more ambitious record. I think it achieves something that Heathen perhaps didn't. While Heathen sounds comfortable in the Low/Heroes/Lodger era, Reality sounds like something new to me. The elements are all there--the guitar work, the production all familiar. But for the first time in at least 15 years, Bowie has finally put out an album that doesn't sound entirely hitched to something in his or someone else's past. Outside and Earthling (both of which I love) sound like Bowie reinterpreting modern muysicians who were themselves Bowie-influenced. The Hours, which I really like, is muddled with so many attempts at different genres that it fails to hold together as an album, really. Heathen is brilliant and beautiful, probably better overall than Reality. But it's definitely a throwback. Reality seems more foreward-looking. I feel like I know where Bowie's going, and--more importantly--I feel like Bowie knows where he's going. He's decided at long last to move back to the front and push the envelope. I'm so excited about this. He's 56 years old and still probably the most consistantly original guys in music. I want to be that cool in 26 years.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Okay, Bowie fans, what's the deal with the Reality bonus disc? Before I plunk down the bucks, is it worth the couple of extra dollars I'll have to spend?
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Robert Wyatt has his first album out since 1997. It is called Cuckooland and what I've heard so far is pretty good. Some of his stuff is slightly acquired but give it a try.

Them Housemartins were mighty fine, however BS are still doing some decent tunes and have a new album out later this month. I'm off to see them in November as well (partners choice, honest).
signed with love and vicious kisses
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Picked up in Manchester today:

IT STILL MOVES and AT DAWN- My Morning Jacket
AND THEN NOTHING TURNED ITSELF INSIDE OUT - Yo La Tengo
SKETCHES OF SPAIN - Miles Davis
BLACK CHERRY - Goldfrapp
KOKOPELLI - Kosheen
BROKEN WING - Chet Baker

Woo, Manchester twice in a week. I must be going soft or summit.

SoL, I hear Robert has put a 30 second break in the middle of CUCKOOLAND, sufficient time to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea. Genius.
Jackson Doofster

Post by Jackson Doofster »

Well chosen Pop. Black Cherry is an awesome record. 8)
"But they can't hold a candle to the reciprical war crimes which have plagued our policy of foriegn affairs."
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You said it, dummy!

This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Picked up in Manchester today:

IT STILL MOVES and AT DAWN- My Morning Jacket
AND THEN NOTHING TURNED ITSELF INSIDE OUT - Yo La Tengo
SKETCHES OF SPAIN - Miles Davis
BLACK CHERRY - Goldfrapp
KOKOPELLI - Kosheen
BROKEN WING - Chet Baker
I don't know any of the others, but that Yo La Tengo is quite a treat. Might be their best album. Let me know how you like it, Pet.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

POP - Yeah on the sleeve it says
Silence 0.30
A suitable place for those with tired ears to pause and resume listening later
Having had a few listens I've decided that this is brilliant. Go and get it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Also just got Must I Paint You A Picture: The Essential Billy Bragg. This is a double CD containing 40 tracks and a limited edition 3rd CD containg 10 rarities. A good starting point for anyone wanting to get to know BB, and nicely priced (for 50tracks) at £10.99. Out now in UK & Canada and in a couple of weeks in the US & Australia.

For those interested, in November Billy is doing a 'Tell The Truth' tour of the US in conjuction with Tom Morello and Steve Earle. See here for details.

http://www.billybragg.co.uk/
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Recent splurge from me (don't tell the wife):

-EC reissues (Trust, Get Happy!! and Punch the Clock)
-Bob Dylan reissues (Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Desire, Blood on the Tracks, Bringing It All Back Home)
-North
-David Bowie's new one, Reality
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

oh SLL!!! i can't make the boston date of the billy bragg tour! damn.

when i was in college he played a gig at my school (which, again, i missed. what the hell was i thinking?) and i remember hearing, on the college radio i think, that he really liked our sweatshirts that said "william and mary" on them because he was dating a mary at the time. so cute.

i thought i had turned over a new leaf and was gonna be a gig-attending fool, but NO, i keep having previous commitments. i can be a non-gig-attending fool, lucky me!
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

After a longstanding CD drought at the weekend I bought...

Neil Young - On The Beach
...for someone who wouldn't rate Neil Young in his top 10 acts, I own a lot of his records and have been to a couple of his gigs. This is really great. Tighter than many of Neil's recordings, great songs.

Hot Hot Heat - Make up the Breakdown
... current US rockpop with Echoes of TYM
"I've been hoping your moping around the street again.
I've been poking a voodoo doll
that you do not know I made of you - let's see what needles do."

Plus some Derek and Clive and Monty Python (as documented in another thread.)

And Outkast is in the post. That single is fantastic: "Shake it like a polaroid picture!"

DRJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
miss buenos aires

Actually, DrJ, Hot Hot Heat is (gasp!) Canadian.

Last night I bought:
Dear Catastrophe Waitress-Belle & Sebastian
Softcore Jukebox-Ladytron (I thought it was a new CD, but it turned out to be some sort of Ladytron-assembled mix tape)
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Canadian!!??!?! If I'd known that... etc etc.. {joke}

Oh I'm at work....

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

:twisted:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I picked up Joe Henry's 'Fuse' on sale, and (as mentioned in the Dylan reissues thread) Bringing It All Back Home.
HungupStrungup

Joe Henry alert

Post by HungupStrungup »

Be sure to post your reactions to Fuse, which was the first Joe Henry album I bought. I think this may require its own thread, but tonight (10/10) he's on the Leno show.
Sometimes it delays it"
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Billy Bragg - Must I Paint You a Picture?

Quality.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Neil Young's On The Beach. Vampire Blues and the title track really get into my blood stream. Great album and a real shocker that something so good hasn't made it to the public in cd format until now.

MBA- I thought of you the other day when I picked up a New Yorker magazine from a couple of months ago and there was a cool article on Cat Power with a photo of her looking very fetching in a Bob Dylan shirt and she had pulled her jeans down to where you could...well, let's just say that it's a nice image.
miss buenos aires

Oh yeah, I saw that...pubes everywhere! I was shocked. As I remember, the article was pretty worshipful.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

i´ve just bought aretha´s new album........so damn happy.........brillliant!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
SoLikeCandy

Post by SoLikeCandy »

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm going to Borders on my lunch break to get Meshell Ndegeocello's new album, "Comfort Woman". This woman is beyond brilliant, and she doesn't pull any punches. The few tracks I've heard from the new album are VERY cool.
If there's one thing you can say about mankind--there's nothing kind about man
HungupStrungup

Questions

Post by HungupStrungup »

Has anyone heard the Undertones' reunion album (sans Feargal) Get What You Need? What did you think?

And the same questions regarding Graham Parker's Blue Highway. . . .
Sometimes it delays it"
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

Gee my last cd purchases..

Annie Haslam's self titled solo cd from 89
The Moody Blues - Prelude
Tanita Tikaram - The Sweet Keeper and Everybody's Angel

There are so many CDs I need to buy right now...and so little money..
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

....and has anyone got the new Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros album? I listened to a couple of tracks on the record shop earphones but wondered if anyone has heard the whole thing.

Cheers

SoL