Elvis/Police, Hollywood Bowl, May 27 (Tues)

Pretty self-explanatory
woz

Re: Elvis/Police, Hollywood Bowl, May 27 (Tues)

Post by woz »

I'm going to both shows. Totally psyched to see Elvis again. I didn't think The Police were as bad as the comments here have suggested. I saw the Dodger Stadium show last summer with the Foo Fighters opening and really like both of the acts. I also saw The Police back in the day at the Forum and at Hollywood Park race track so it isn't like I never saw them before.

I'm hoping Elvis plays more than 50 minutes tonight and tomorrow night, but with the curfew at the Hollywood Bowl I have my doubts. Maybe he plays an hour.

Cheers.

Woz
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome, WOZ!

All details, however unnecessary , appreciated!
woz

Post by woz »

John,

I apologize if I put too much into my post. I have been hesitant to post anything on this site as I didn't want to offend anyone. I was just putting what I thought might be of interest based on what I've seen in other threads.

Like most everyone on this site I have a huge appreciation of Elvis as well as what I would consider some interesting anecdotes and stories about meeting him and the shows I've gone to and the great people I have met at his shows.

If I was out of line with "unnecessary" info and comments then I again apologize.

Regards
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Woz:

You are right on target and no apologies necessary. Thanks for participatin', not hatin'.

Maybe we can connect on Wednesday. I will send my cell phone on IM if you wish to call and say hi at the bowl. Great to have your input! Keep posting, we'll make more!

Dan
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

WOZ - I meant every word. I really do want to read all 'unnecessary' detail. If anyone should apologise it should be me for not making that clear. I look forward to your account. Sorry for not clarifying that sooner - I do sometimes sleep!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://soundcheck.freedomblogging.com/2 ... m-at-bowl/

May 28th, 2008, 12:39 am posted by Ben Wener

Elvis Costello & the Imposters

Stella Hurt / Pump It Up / Everyday I Write the Book / American Gangster Time / Radio Radio / Flutter and Wow / No Hiding Place / Turpentine / Watching the Detectives / Alison (with Sting) / (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

(extract)

Opening act Elvis Costello was also in fantastic form — this may only have been a warm-up sampler, shared between obvious classics (”Pump It Up,” “Radio Radio”) and strongly executed selections from his new album Momofuku, but few other performances he’s given in the past 20 years were nearly as convincing. (And who’da guessed “Everyday I Write the Book” would be a highlight?) The set’s brevity meant this one didn’t stand a chance at measuring up to, say, his last Wiltern show, behind The Delivery Man. But I’d rank this abbreviated turn with the Imposters higher than any of the times I saw him during his final Attractions outings of the ’90s.

Plus, when he dipped (as always) into “Alison,” something I would have figured unthinkable happened: Sting emerged to handle the second set of verses, harmonize on the choruses and test the sustain of his wail for a rousing finish. Turns out it’s been a regular occurence since these two legendary acts teamed up. Don’t know why I got it in my head that Costello took a dim view of Mr. Sumner (that song from Mighty Like a Rose might have had something to do with it) … but it was both exciting and unnerving to see such an odd couple share a microphone.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:
WOZ - I meant every word. I really do want to read all 'unnecessary' detail. If anyone should apologise it should be me for not making that clear. I look forward to your account. Sorry for not clarifying that sooner - I do sometimes sleep!
Welcome Woz.

Regular contributors to this forum will know of the minutiae of anything Elvis given to us by the lovable Foyle that is John.

If you even get to see that Elvis' necktie is slightly off centre then John wants to know :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
woz

Post by woz »

Last night's show rocked. Elvis sounded great, seemed to be in a good mood and the Imposters were (as usual) great.

Great seeing my fellow Elvis fans on their feet and by the end of the show I think even the most ardent Police fans had to doff their cap to Elvis. The new songs flowed greatly with the classics although few people around me even knew Elvis had a new album (their loss).

As for The Police, they were solid although the Dodger Stadium show last summer had more energy, was longer and I think they were still more into playing together. Guess you could say the novelty for them seems to have warn off.

Anyway, looking forward to a second show tonight. I only wish he would play longer than 50 minutes but with the Bowl's curfew I understand.

Have a good day everyone.