Tom Waits

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Tom Waits

Post by BlueChair »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

From Pitchfork:

Tom Waits Planning Summer Tour

Septuplets, full solar eclipses, and Tom Waits tours: some things just don't come around too often. Lucky for us, 2008 is shaping up to be a favorable year, once which will see the elusive Mr. Waits grace stages across the U.S. and Europe.

According to report in "webpaper" The Washington Independent and confirmed by Waits' camp, the gravel-voiced one is in the process of putting together summer tours of the aforementioned locales. No dates just yet, but to be on the safe side, you probably want to start lining up outside your local ticket vendor now.

Waits last toured in August 2006, and people enjoyed it very much.

And hey, that Scarlett Johansson album! Word is it's better than you think.
Stream: Tom Waits with the Kronos Quartet: Diamond in Your Mind [from the Healing the Divide compilation]

Posted by Matthew Solarski in tour on Tue: 03-04-08: 11:41 AM CST | Digg this article | Add to del.icio.us | Permalink
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Emotional Toothpaste

Re: Tom Waits

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Thats great news. Thanks for passing that along.

I saw the last tour of his in Chicago. Was a great show, but my seats were lousy. 3rd balcony, obstructed view. I bought the tickets on-line through Ticketmaster the millisecond they went on sale and was very disappointed with what was left. There has GOT to be a better way.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Eeeeeeee is right. But goddamnit, I feel guilty about going to shows where I don't know enough of that artists work. But by summer, maybe. I'll have to beg my parents, but this notice gives me a lot of time to wear them down....graduation gift, maybe. (I'm not allowed to hold a job during the school year, and that amongst other things sort of cripples my funds.) Thanks for sharing Blue, much much much appreciated.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Scarlett Johansson to release an album of Tom Waits covers! Will there be special edition with DVD, I can't help but wondering?!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
queenofthefleapit

Post by queenofthefleapit »

Apparently tour news/dates will be announced on Monday!!!! :D

From myspace:

Tune in and view highlights from the press conference held by musician and iconoclast Tom Waits on Monday, May 5 at www. tomwaits. com beginning at 9am EST.

Hi- this is my first post. I had a previous username but forgot it so...Hello! :)
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Hello.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Scarlett Johansson to release an album of Tom Waits covers! Will there be special edition with DVD, I can't help but wondering?!
I snagged an advance copy of this, and although I wanted it to be great, its not. Nothing particularly wrong with ScarJo's voice, but the settings are too clever by half and she plays the part of world-weary, laid back chanteuse to the point of sounding like she's about to fall asleep. Her voice is also curiously low in the mix. Bowie shows up to add some backing atmosphere, but all in all.......meh. Pretty decent song selection though.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Fingers crossed for this tour to hit some of our cities.

I'm not surprised to hear that about the ScarJo album, pophead. The few tracks I've heard sound like a lot of heavy production over top a mediocre singer. Judging from the karaoke vocal performances in Lost in Translation, it should have been Bill Murray releasing an album, not Scarlett.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I sampled some of the tracks from her site (http://www.scarlettalbum.com/) and I'm not impressed. I still think Tony Bennett should do a Waits cover album.
queenofthefleapit

so lacklustre wrote:Hello.
thanks so lacklustre !
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

The video is already up on http://www.tomwaits.com and tour dates have been posted to ANTI's website. Unfortunately for those of us in Canada, Europe and the northern parts of the U.S., Tom has decided to tour pretty much just the southwest. To the rest of you, good luck and let us know if you end up going!

Orpheum
Tuesday, June 17, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Orpheum
Wednesday, June 18, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Plaza Theatre
Friday, June 20, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
El Paso, TX

Jones Hall
Sunday, June 22, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Houston, TX

Palladium
Monday, June 23, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Dallas, TX

Brady Theatre
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Tulsa, OK

Fox Theatre
Thursday, June 26, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
St Louis, MO

Ohio Theatre
Saturday, June 28, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Columbus, OH

Civic Theatre
Sunday, June 29, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Knoxville, TN

Moran Theatre
Tuesday, July 1, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Jacksonville, TN

Saenger Theatre
Wednesday, July 2, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Mobile, AL

Alabama Theatre
Thursday, July 3, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Birmingham, AL

Fox Theatre
Saturday, July 5, 2008 @ 9:00 PM
Atlanta, GA
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

The Civic Theatre???? No such animal.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I was very lucky to see Tom a year or so ago in Nashville. If any of you have the opportunity, it is definitely worth the time, travel and money. Doesn't look like this itinerary is going to lend itself to me seeing him again, unless I can sneak up to Knoxville and its non-existent theatre.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Might be time to use up some of those frequent flier miles. Maybe a cheap flight to Atlanta? I have just enough to get there.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Billboard has the same list of dates (including the non-existant venue), but this to add:
Early this morning (May 5), Tom Waits announced a summer tour via Tomwaits.com.

In what appeared to be highlights from a press conference, it was later revealed to viewers that Waits was talking to an empty room, with staged audience questions being broadcast by a record player amid rows of empty chairs.

Dubbed the “Glitter And Doom” tour, Waits will play 13 shows,
kicking off June 17 in Phoenix.

His “press conference” did not indicate who will be accompanying him in his backing band, or if this will be a solo affair, but Waits did offer
up the acronym “PEHDTSCKJMBA” as the “guiding word” for this summer’s tour.

Taking the first initial from each city, Waits explained that the "pretty profound" acronym stands for “People Envy Happiness, Dogs Though, Sense Courage Knowing Jubilation Means Better Assets.”

Waits last toured in 2006, playing eight dates primarily in the Midwest. This time, he’ll mostly hit southern markets. It was also hinted that European dates are in the works, as well.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Scarlett's Waits is execrable. Her electronica-drone version of "Falling Down" just awful in so many ways . Fine actress, easy on the eyes but music?!? No thanks.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
queenofthefleapit

mood swung wrote:The Civic Theatre???? No such animal.
This has been updated/corrected and is now listed as the Civic Auditorium.

http://www.anti.com/tours/index/1
Otis Westinghouse

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Scarlett's Waits is execrable. Her electronica-drone version of "Falling Down" just awful in so many ways . Fine actress, easy on the eyes but music?!? No thanks.
Oh dear. Not worth getting for the Bowie appearances, then...
queenofthefleapit

More info regarding the tour from eyeballkid.blogspot.com. :

When questioned about the summer inferno choice, Waits responded, “We’re going to the deep south where they still love a man who wears red pants and they make him feel welcome.”

Key facts:

* All tickets are due to go on sale Friday, May 16th.
* Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster via the internet and by phone.
* "A plan" is to make life hard for ticket scalpers.
* The band: Larry Taylor (bass), Omar Torrez (guitar), Patrick Warren (keyboards), Casey Waits (drums and percussion) and as yet named (sic) reed player; performing hollers, mambos and rhumbas.
* European dates are to be announced shortly.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

The "red pants" comment he makes is referring to a story I think he told in concert 2 years ago. Apparently he was in St. Louis (home of the beloved Cardinals) and saw a man wearing bright red pants going to a game.
:lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Pehdsckjmba!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It turns out A Place For Us is from West Side Story???
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

He's pretty big in Japan.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
Otis Westinghouse

LessThanZero wrote:It turns out A Place For Us is from West Side Story???
'Somewhere'. Yes indeedy. You mean you're not acquainted with the brilliant score of that film/piece? I remember walking into a large cinema in Madrid in the 80s where it was playing pre-film at loud volume and thinking 'I have to get this!'
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://double-parkingtheotterscheese.bl ... =tom+waits

Really good early Waits boot here (the 2nd one), engaging radio interview with performances from just before the release of The Heart Of Saturday Night. Cool observations about songwriting craft, touring life, influences, etc. Some of the performances are unique in that he performs them vocally kind of like poems (well, they are) and is likely revealing those songs for the first time.

I've not checked out the other ones yet. That site has lots of other boots as well.