'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by mood swung »

I dunno, BWAP. Basketball gets more like cage fighting every day.

Ask Lebron. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Have anybody found the lyrics somewhere? It's says go to 'www.elviscostello.com for lyrics' but i can't find any
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

VonOfterdingen wrote:Have anybody found the lyrics somewhere? It's says go to 'www.elviscostello.com for lyrics' but i can't find any
Here:
http://www.elviscostello.com/web/guest/ ... urce=29364

or on the wiki, here:
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... u_-_Lyrics
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Guys, I'm having a terrible time trying to find the Momofuku CD in Buenos aires, Arg... :(

Which is odd because I was able to get The River in Reverse like, the very day it came out
krm

Post by krm »

the_platypus wrote:Guys, I'm having a terrible time trying to find the Momofuku CD in Buenos aires, Arg... :(

Which is odd because I was able to get The River in Reverse like, the very day it came out

The few of us located in Japan are waiting too.........
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Spooky and I will turn it up so you can hear it. LOL!

Seriously I hope it shows up there soon.
John

Post by John »

Seems to be selling reasonably in the US. Momofuku has been between numbers 10 and 18 for the last few days on Amazon's US chart.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

VonOfterdingen wrote:Have anybody found the lyrics somewhere? It's says go to 'www.elviscostello.com for lyrics' but i can't find any
Isn't it more fun without? Elvis never used to include them. I like them there if something's hard to make out, but most of MF seems clear to me. I've always been a bit anti lyric sheet, though I do look them up on the internet quite a bit.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ecfan

Post by ecfan »

Not a big deal, but I am surprised by how many errors there are in the lyrics posted at the official EC site. Just about every song has a mistake in it - at least they don't match what Elvis sings on the record. Words missing, wrong words, etc.

The lyrics at the wiki, however, do seem accurate.

Wonder why they were so careless at the official site - someone really mangled these lyrics. :shock:
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

It's quite common the even the lyrics printed in liner notes of CD booklets are incorrect. I think it usually has to do with changes being made between the lyrics being submitted and the recording, though you'd think in the case of a website that they could get it right.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

It's already been reported that the Momofuku words he sings live are different from those on the album. It could be that the ones on the site are the copyrighted versions, which don't necessarily have to match up with any recording. (Bob Dylan's copyrighted lyrics, for instance, often differ from the ones on the records.)

Or it could be that EC is purposely trying to mess with us, especially in light of his comment about preferring that the album "rather be heard than read".
ecfan

Post by ecfan »

wardo68 wrote:It could be that the ones on the site are the copyrighted versions, which don't necessarily have to match up with any recording. (Bob Dylan's copyrighted lyrics, for instance, often differ from the ones on the records.)
Maybe, but it doesn't seem to make sense to copyright lyrics that clearly have words left out. Just an example: From Harry Worth, on the official site, it reads "Five had passed when I happened along" instead of "Five years had passed..."

Perhaps these were taken from handwritten "working" lyrics, or, probably more likely, just mistakes made by whoever posted them on the official site.

I look at Elvis's lyrics like great poetry - seems a shame to treat them like this, especially on the official site.

Again, not a big deal, but I was surprised...

I really like this record! And it was a great show in Grand Rapids last night!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

When I first heard No Hiding place I though he was singing My my it's a terrible discus. I soon realised the correct lyric but when only half listening it still sounds like dicus to me. What could be so bad about a discus?
signed with love and vicious kisses
John

Post by John »

so lacklustre wrote:When I first heard No Hiding place I though he was singing My my it's a terrible discus. I soon realised the correct lyric but when only half listening it still sounds like dicus to me. What could be so bad about a discus?
Sounds like a terrible disc case to me. Something like this:-Image
migdd

Post by migdd »

so lacklustre wrote:When I first heard No Hiding place I though he was singing My my it's a terrible discus. I soon realised the correct lyric but when only half listening it still sounds like dicus to me. What could be so bad about a discus?

If you do happen to have a terrible discus, this may help. . .

http://discusnada.org/discus/sick_discus.html
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Momofuku sold 13.000 copies in his first week in the USA.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111798 ... Id=16&cs=1

Neil Diamond shines at top of charts

Neil Diamond scored his first No. 1 album in the U.S. this week as his Columbia disc “Home Before Dark” sold 146,000 in its debutframe.
Album is Diamond’s 15th to land in the top 10 and 46th to hit the top 200.

Diamond promoted the disc with a mentoring appearance and performance on “American Idol” and a surprise show at the Bitter End in New York that was streamed on a number of websites. He kicks off a 37-city North American tour on July 19 in St. Paul, Minn.

“Home” was one of seven debuts in the top 10; only one of last week’s six top 10 rookies, Madonna’s “Hard Candy,” remained in the single digits.

Toby Keith’s “35 Biggest Hits” (Show Dog Nashville) opened at No. 2 on sales of 103,000. It is his third album to hit No. 2.

Clay Aiken’s “On My Way Here” (RCA/19 Recordings), his fourth album, sold 94,000 to open at No. 4. Aiken debuted songs on a “QVC Presents QSessions Live” event on April 28 and appeared on TV shows “Good Morning America,” “The View,” “Today” and “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” during the week of release. Appearances on “Rachael Ray,” “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and “Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson” are scheduled for this week.

Gavin DeGraw’s self-titled J Records release sold 66,000 copies in its opening session to hit No. 7. Disc is his first top 10 album and marks his biggest SoundScan week. Album was No. 1 in the digital sales for the frame.

Josh Groban’s CD-DVD “Awake Live” (Warner Bros.) opened at No. 7 on sales of 66,000. Country singer Dierks Bentley’s “Greatest Hits/Every Mile a Memory” (Capitol Nashville) sold 43,000 to open at No. 9.

International Latin superstar Luis Miguel saw 32,000 copies of “Complices” (Warner Latina) acquired by fans to give him his eighth No. 1 on the Latin chart and put him in the No. 10 spot on the pop chart.

Other top 50 debuts were Tye Tribbett’s “Stand Out” (Columbia), selling 26,000 copies (No. 16); Tokio Hotel’s “Scream” (Interscope), shouting out 16,000 (No. 39); and Blake Shelton’s “Pure BS,” moving 14,000 (No. 49). Elvis Costello’s “Mofuku” (Lost Highway), which was rush released on vinyl and then on CD May 6, sold 13,000 copies to open at No. 59.

Madonna’s “Hard Candy” slid to No. 3, selling 94,000 copies to tumble 64%.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

so lacklustre wrote:What could be so bad about a discus?
Discuss the discus.

You wouldn't want to be hit over the head with one.

I'm enjoying the album (well, the CD of it anyway).

Flutter and Wow reminds me of Remove This Doubt.

And My Three Sons isn't as scmaltzy as I thought it could be. It's a tender song.

The album has a very loose feel to it which I like.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://blog.filter-mag.com/filter/2008/ ... own-1.html

Elvis Costello and the Imposters returned to the charts this week with the cd release of Momofuku selling almost 15K. Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner also saw an excellent first week of sales, nabbing the #1 spot on the New Artist Album chart for his project with Miles Kane of The Rascals, called The Last Shadow Puppets. Other big winners include Radiohead whose sales jumped over 20% this week following VH1's "In Rainbows From The Basement" broadcast as well as Tokyo Police Club who jumped back up to the big charts this week.

Billboard 200:

#17 Various Artists - Juno OST [24,818 this week, down 3.5%, 724,072 to date]
#24 Portishead - Third [21,988 this week, down 58.4%, 75,008 to date]
#28 The Roots - Rising Down [20,741 this week, down 61.4%, 74,665 to date]
#46 Flight Of The Conchords - Flight Of The Conchords [14,225 this week, down 36.7%, 89,069 to date]
#55 R.E.M. - Accelerate [13,575 this week, down 9.8%, 242,343 to date]
#59 Elvis Costello - Momofuku [14,726]
#74 Radiohead - In Rainbows [10,298 this week, up 20.6%, 502,866 to date]
#95 Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - Once OST [8,144 this week, up 9.6%, 557,827 to date]
#102 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend [7,411 this week, down 11.9%, 209,027 to date]
#111 The Last Shadow Puppets - Age Of The Understatement [8,730]
#116 Santogold - Santogold [6,715 this week, down 29.1%, 16,281 to date]
#154 MGMT - Oracular Spectacular [5,082 this week, up 3.3%, 73,599 to date]
#200 Tokyo Police Club - Elephant Shell [3,790 this week, up 18.5%, 15,992 to date
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
John

Post by John »

Elvis has stormed into the UK charts at number 112!

Just to show how his popularity has fallen in the UK here are the the peak positions for most of his albums:-

My Aim Is True 14
This Year's Model 4
Armed Forces 2
Get Happy! 2
Trust 9
Almost Blue 7
Imperial Bedroom 6
Punch The Clock 3
Goodbye Cruel World 10
King Of America 11
Blood And Chocolate 16
Spike 5
Mighty Like A Rose 5
The Juliet Letters 18
Brutal Youth 2
Koyak Variety 21
All This Useless Beauty 28
Painted From Memory 32
For The Stars 67
When I Was Cruel 17
North 44
The Delivery Man 73
The River In Reverse 97

Momofuku 112
cwr

Post by cwr »

I've always been amazed at how quickly EC dropped in the UK charts after BY. I can understand that Kojak Variety was never going to be a smash hit, but after dragging Costello out of the Top Twenty, it's hard to understand how ATUB -- an Attractions record -- peaks ten places below The Juliet Letters on the pop charts!

Was it just a shift in the culture? Why did EC's fanbase suddenly stop buying his new records? WIWC was a bit of a rebound, but I'm still sort of stunned by the way ATUB was ignored in the UK. He toured to promote the album, he released singles with cool b-sides, he had a TV special on the BBC... I was living in Britain at the time, and I was struck by how the album just seemed to get no traction.

He really, really made an effort when it came time to promote the "She" single, flogging it in so many TV appearances that it almost got embarrassing, and even then, it only earned him modest-- and fleeting-- chart success.

And it DOES seem as if EC's anti-English stance and relocation from Ireland to North America has affected sales in a big, big way. NORTH got terrible reviews, and clearly sold poorly, but TDM at 73? And TRIR at 97? The Anne Sofie Von Otter album charted higher than that!!

And now, poor Momofuku doesn't seem to stand a chance. Elvis might be finished with the UK, but it seems like the UK is definitely finished with him....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hardly surprising. It's crept in unnoticed, no promo whatsoever, they haven't been sending it to papers to review, it seems (neither Guardnor Observer have reviewed thus far). And he never plays here live now.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I don't think anyone expected Momofuku to go platinum. It was rush-released, no single, no music video, no promos, nothing. It's all been internet talk, and even that has been scarce. Several of my friends who are HUGE EC fans but don't hang out at message boards nearly as much as I do didn't even know he had a new record out. It's a really low key record in that aspect and I get the feeling it suits Costello just fine.

Sales are meaningless, anyway. What's with the obsession?
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I was reading my gmail this morning and noticed this ad for Momofuku.
Momofuku at BlackBook - http://www.blackbookmag.com/restaurants - Going to Momofuku? Read BlackBook's Latest Review!
Really bad because it was an elviscostellofans.com email message and Google didn't even make the connection to have an ad for his CD on the side.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

they haven't been sending it to papers to review,
One U.K journalist was only able to get his review in before deadline after having to ask a Costello fan ( cough, cough!) for a sound file so that he could actually hear the damned thing.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oooh, Foyle must be posting from the underground. . . . .