celebrity sightings

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Dwight Yoakam!? :shock:
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm flattered oily, that you would mention meeting me in the woods in the "celebrity sightings" thread.

Did you mention though that there were others watching? And that my husband was taking pictures? :wink:
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Does Blue Chair not dig Dwight Yoakam? Actually, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Dwight was Johnny Cash's favorite male vocalist, you know.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess I just toss him in with all of those "New Country" performers like Garth Brooks, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, etc. And those people scare me.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

No no no no Blue Chair.....he's more of a cross between Roy Orbison and Buck Owens. I'll be happy to send you a sampler of his stuff. I think you'd be surprised.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

oops. sorry. spooky's husband was there in the woods too. taking pictures. naked. with some other couple.

dwight's been dissed on here b4 much to my then reticent chagrin. if you haven't heard dwight and buck together, well you're missing something unique and good.

cosmos, famous dj, are you sayin' you bribed the guard or not?
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

No, it was some fella next to me. I thought he was paying the guard to get backstage. Then he started fooling with a tape recorder and put it in his top coat pocket.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Blue Chair -

Dwight is great !!! He's not to be lumped in with those other guys whose names are too horrible to repeat. Dwight is very much a product of the Bakersfield scene (Buck Owens/Merle Haggard) and the LA roots scene (Los Lobos/Blasters). Plus he's been in a ton of Indie films and I believe he's even written and directed a couple.

I suggest starting with Buenos Noches From A Lonely Room - a true classic.

YOU'RE MISSING OUT !
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Dwight was originally categorized as "new country" in the mid-80's along with k.d. lang and Steve Earle. More of a traditional sound....he also used to play punk clubs in L.A. People tend to forget how long he's been around.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

"buenos noches from a lonely room" is an excellent place to start. the first wave of "new country" was so refreshing; it raised questions and brought a new audience. it was the second wave of i don't have time to write my own songs talentless teeny-boppers that followed that wrecked the scene or created the new image of it, probably for good.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

More like the second wave of "I can't write my own songs" country "artists".
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Out on my travels tonight (slightly drunk, sorry): Mick from Bwrook-ee -- who is in Holby Shitty now, I understand? And Jimmy (or is it James?) Nesbitt dancing very badly.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

James officially, Jimmy less formally. Dancing where? Why in the 'Pool? He's a bit fanciable, isn't he?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Loads at the EC Sold on Song bash.

Also Quentin Doojit from sad blokes programme 'Top Gear' with a very leggy blonde trophy wife.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

I sat about six seats down from Kim Basinger and her young daughter at a sushi bar in Tarzana last night. Sushi bars seem to be among the best places for celeb sightings in L.A.
tart

Post by tart »

I actually have a few more to mention other than the two in my first post.
The only one I'll write about now is the best though and that was Johnny Depp.Happened in 96 backstage at an Oasis concert,actually we met in a stairwell at the theatre where they played.I was so drunk and he was very nice and charming.He was alone and talked with me and my friend for a few minutes.That whole night was so surreal.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:James officially, Jimmy less formally. Dancing where? Why in the 'Pool? He's a bit fanciable, isn't he?
No idea why up here, no idea why in the Newz Bar. Very fanciable, yes, in a sweaty, drunk kinda way.

Just to reinforce his 'niceness', my aunt is the head of sixth form in my old school and she knows someone who knows Jimmy. Anyway, to cut a long story short, he said that if he was available he would open their summer fair this summer. He did, which was nice.
Otis Westinghouse

Jackson Monk wrote:Loads at the EC Sold on Song bash.
Who then, eh?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Jackson Monk wrote:Loads at the EC Sold on Song bash.
Who then, eh?
Mark Lamarr, Clare Grogan, Phill Jupitus, Lord Attenborough, Janice Long, Liz Kershaw.

Real A-list celebs!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Oh yeah, we had most of them before. Lord Attenborough! Brill. When's it on the radio again?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Apologies :oops:

It wasn't Lord Attenborough it was Lord Puttnam! The others were there though - honest Guv!

I'll get me coat!

It's on Radio 2 on 18th October.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Has anyone seen the cancelled show...Vengenace Unlimited with Michael Madsen?

It is shown here in DK and I realized that I had actually boned one of the actresses on the show....(she was a guest star).....now that's weird.....she was actually pretty kinky!!!!
tokyo vogue

Post by tokyo vogue »

i saw David Boreanz (Angel) in a poster shop. i don't fangirl him, so i just kinda stood there.

my aunt is a waitress at a Neiman Marcus cafe thing, and she waited on Oprah once. she left a dismal tip.
if we can rock together, why can't we walk together?
perfectblue

Post by perfectblue »

a kiss from woody harrelson...

he was standing by some trees, i went to talk to him. i was young*, in love with a silly boy and offered my cheek instead.

*stilllllll young, naive
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I saw John Prine again last week. I was walking out to my car after work and I recognized his black Caddy in the parking lot. I looked up at the Oh Boy Records office and he was walking out the door. I slowed my walk, looked up and said "How's it goin'?" He said "Pretty good...pretty good." It looked like he was limping a little bit. I wanted to say something else, but froze up BIG TIME!! I was in awe!

I was hoping he'd respond "Pretty good, not bad, can't complain..." but, oh well.