Home stereos

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
cosmos

Home stereos

Post by cosmos »

What kind of home stereo setups do y'all have? I'm starting from scratch and could use some ideas.

Thanks! :D
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Home stereos

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Denon DRA-295 receiver, Technics SL-1210 turntable (with pre-amp attached), Marantz CD5001 CD player, Yamaha N5 125F speakers. I wish the speakers had a bit more low end, but they save space and put out plenty of power for my little office. I may invest in a sub-woofer at some point. The Marantz CD player is the newest addition and is just awesome - audiophile quality for about $300.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I concurr with WSS on the Marantz CD. There are plenty of CD players out there, but for $300 bucks the sound quality rivals the more expensive ones. I also use a Rotell pre-amp which is about twenty years old. It sounds like it's time for a new one
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I'm not completely up on all the latest stereo stuff, but 20 years ago I was.

I have a 2 year old Onkyo receiver that I bought after lightning claimed my old Yamaha amp from a rack system minus the speakers. Not sure of the model or the exact specs, but the Onkyo is way more than enough power to drive my pair of 20 year old Bose 401's. Those speakers still sound brand new, even through the abuse I put them through in those early years. Crystal clear, good in all ranges, all styles of music, and all volumes. I'm going to stop right there. I don't want to jinx this by discussing those speakers anymore . . . . they've been absolutely great. Also hooked up to the Onkyo is a pair of outdoor Bose something or other for the screen porch. They're decent for where they sit. CD player is a Sony, single disc play. Monster cable connecting it all and good quality patch cords. Spend your money on a solid amp/receiver, then the best speakers and cable you can afford to connect them. Not sure most ears can detect the difference in a high end CD player vs. mid-to low range, especially if you're connecting it with tin. Turn-tables may be a different story, but unfortunately I didn't catch that boat. Still have the dual-cassette tape deck, but it is awfully lonely these days!

High quality speakers and amps is where it matters most. Hell, even an Ipod nano hooked up to a kick ass amp and a kick ass pair of speakers won't disappoint.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

You virtually have to become an expert, there are so many variables that contribute to ultimate sound.. and I'm paranoid about things soon becoming superseded by superior and more versatile stuff (eg. wireless, interfacing with home theatre, computer, and HD etc) that is less expensive. I want to really know a lot before spending serious cash. There is some really detailed information at this forum, lots of useful tips - http://www.avforums.com/index.php
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Very cool - thanks for the info, everybody!

Much appreciated! :D
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan