'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
mood swung

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by mood swung »

I haven't had to go down the 'shaven-headed seaside thug' hairstyle route as they mostly seem to have done!

yet.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

migdd wrote:Okay, looks like I'll have to eat crow on this one.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003728188

Elvis Costello's next solo studio album, curiously dubbed "Momofuku," will arrive April 22 via Lost Highway on CD and double-vinyl. No other details have been released about the follow-up to 2005's "The Delivery Man."
Billboard has already rewritten this article!
Elvis Costello's next solo studio album, curiously dubbed "Momofuku," will arrive April 22 via Lost Highway. For the time being, the set will be released only on vinyl, with a digital download code included in the package.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Curiouser and curiouser. Since this will be a double-disc vinyl LP, can we assume this is a long album? Wonder why no CD release.
migdd

Post by migdd »

"News" is popping up all over the web this morning, although no real details as of yet. . .

http://popgeek

http://www.chromewaves.net/

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/ ... due-april/

http://yazoostreet.blogspot.com/
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:yes, i don't doubt it. must have loads recorded by now. at least we'll get new tracks on the police tour!!! i'm ready!!!

i KNEW it sounded JUST good enough to be true. hopng for at least 15 new songs!!! and that he sticks to vinyl only with a free digital download.....until the reissue on cd in 10 years! or, by then, will that be the equivalent of him releasing it upon vinyl NOW??? VINYL FOREVER! cds....who knows?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Rolling Stone has a blurb on their website. Nothing new.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -the-cure/
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

according to this site, the cd version comes out may 6.
http://www.direct-current.net/#newsStory2996
???
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Curiouser indeed. A double vinyl may simply mean it's over an hour long. Maybe it's the officially released version of that Willy Wonka disc he said he put into last years reissues. Whatever it is, we'll know for sure in a month or so.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I e-mailed Mark Satloff at Shore Fire ( Elvis' PR people) and got this reply -

msatlof@shorefire.com

I'm out of the office after 3pm on Tuesday, March 18 and on vacation March 19-25. If this is regarding Elvis Costello,
please contact Rebecca Shapiro, rshapiro@shorefire.com .
If this is about Carole King, please contact Matt Hanks, mhanks@shorefire.com . Otherwise, if this is timely, please contact Nora Lyons, nylons@shorefire.com and she can direct you. The office number is 718.522.7171.

Best,

Mark Satlof

-----------------------------------------------

I've e-mailed Rebecca and await any reply.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Mark gets back to the office and Rebecca catches him. "Don't you EVER go on vacation and leave me to handle the Elvis account again! Do you KNOW how many e-mails I had to answer? Those people are nuts!"
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Double vinyl! Wow, that is unexpected. New studio album it says, so likely not some odds and ends compilation. I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Witty coverage here -

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Costel ... -9533.html

To help celebrate the mass reissuing of Elvis Costello’s back catalog on remastered CDs, the “Allison” singer will release his first album in four years on vinyl–only vinyl. The disc, dubbed Momofuku, will be available on April 22nd, complete with a special download code which will allow buyers to download the album onto their computers.

According to Billboard, no reason was given for bitch slapping the compact disc industry, but I bet it has something to do with a girl. It always has something to do with a girl.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

That's just like Elvis, saying that he'll never record again and then surprise us with a new studio album :)

So it seems to be an album of originals. Based entirely on what he's performed live in the past year or so, what can we expect to be on this new album?

'American Gangster Time' and 'Down Among The Wine And Spirits' are the two most likely candidates, but what else? Would 'Song With Rose', 'Pardon Me Madam', and 'Life's Companion' likely be on this collection?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

wardo68 wrote:I'd like to be a fly on the wall when Mark gets back to the office and Rebecca catches him. "Don't you EVER go on vacation and leave me to handle the Elvis account again! Do you KNOW how many e-mails I had to answer? Those people are nuts!"
"And two hundred of them were from some guy named John!"
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello – Foodie? The Momofuku Mystery

Elvis Costello isn’t releasing his new album on CD — it'll only be available on vinyl and as a digital download. And while that's a fascinating move, I have to admit that I’m way more interested in the album's name: Momofuku. Did Costello, who currently lives in New York, name his new release after the hottest restaurants in the city: chef David Chang's Momofuku Noodle Bar, Momofuku Ssam Bar, and the new, impossible-to-get-into Momofuku Ko?

Costello's reps weren’t immediately able to provide an answer, so I went straight to Chang, whose East Village restaurants serve his hyper-inventive, heavy-on-the-pork cuisine in a rock and roll setting: waiters wear t-shirts, you sit at counters, and loud music is always playing (plus, there's a huge vintage Band poster hanging at Noodle Bar). "We've heard he's a fan of the restaurant, but I doubt he'd name his album after us," says Chang. "That would be too weird. It blows my mind. There’s just no way! He's Elvis Costello, for Christ's sake!"

Chang, a "big-time" Costello fan, notes that "Less Than Zero" is on heavy rotation in his restaurants.
He's never met Costello, though, and says that the only rock-musician regulars he knows of are the Hold Steady and Superchunk's Mac McCaughan. But if Costello's album name is a tribute to Chang's restaurant, does he get a much-coveted hook-up for Ko — which seats only fourteen people and accepts reservations only online? "Nope!" says Chang. "Even if I wanted to get a table, I'd have go through the reservation system."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe Elvis is a Chris Rea fan -

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 93126.html

Rea launches comeback with single released on vinyl only

By Amol Rajan
Saturday, 8 March 2008

The Road to Hell singer Chris Rea is launching his singing comeback with a vinyl-only version of his new single.

Two years after he announced his retirement due to ill-health, the 57-year-old blues singer has declared his latest record, "Let's Get Away", will only be available on vinyl.

A source close to the singer is reported to have said: "Chris has decided that he won't be succumbing to the culture of music downloads and is planning to boycott the very idea during the release of his latest single. It will be released in seven-inch only format. He wants to return to an age where people cherished the beautiful artwork that accompanied their favourite artists' music. Taking a stand seems to be paying off. Fan orders have been huge."

Rea's decision flies in the face of current trends in the music industry. Last year Radiohead decided to allow fans to pay whatever price they wished to download their album In Rainbows – a move which sparked widespread dismay at the time but has subsequently been applauded.

The songwriter's latest album, The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes, is dedicated to the 1960s band of the same name, and the British singer is booked to play at Glastonbury for the first time later this year. He also began a European tour last month to coincide with the release of a new music book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Fabulous ... 665&sr=8-1

............and, another variation , Nonesuch will sell all three nights of live recordings by the Brad Mehldau Trio that their forthcoming live album is excerpted from -

http://nonesuch.com/bradmehldau/
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Chang, whose East Village restaurants serve his hyper-inventive, heavy-on-the-pork cuisine in a rock and roll setting: waiters wear t-shirts, you sit at counters, and loud music is always playing (plus, there's a huge vintage Band poster hanging at Noodle Bar)
There is a feature on Chang in this week's New Yorker. No mention of Elvis.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... nload-only

From Pitchfork

New Elvis Costello Album Due on Vinyl, Download Only
Kick out the jams, Momofukus!

We're going to be in for quite a treat in 2038 when Elvis Costello gives the deluxe double-disc reissue treatment to his forthcoming new album, Momofuku.

But first, he's got to go through that whole "original issue" process, so he has enlisted Lost Highway to put the album out on April 22, according to a Billboard.com report.

The report also reveals Costello's nontraditional release strategy for Momofuku. At least at first, it will come out only on vinyl, with a digital download code inside the package. But it will be supported with a tour-- that previously announced one with the Police.

Since Elvis Costello can never have just one project going on at once, he will also celebrate the world premiere of Nightspot, a Twyla Tharp ballet he scored, on March 28 at the Arsht Center in Miami. According to his website, March 31 will reveal a new "session" from the Coward Brothers, Costello's partnership with producer T-Bone Burnett. It's a "live studio recording of the soundtrack for a stop-frame animation feature adapted from the James Ensor painting, 'Christ's Last Entry Into Brussels'."

And if that wasn't weird enough for ya, Costello's website explains that said Coward Brothers album, Henry and Howard's Last Entry Into Brussels, will be distributed in an even more non-traditional manner than Momofuku: "U.S. edition of record will be released on a state-by-state basis, in alphabetical order. Due to problems with piracy, only one copy will be manufactured for issue in each state or international territory. Individual copies will be encoded with the new, KNARP discriminators and secreted in the racks of selected stockists. Those discovering each unique disc will be free to do with it as their conscience draws it."

That last thing might be a big joke, though. We're not sure. Wouldn't put it past Elvis Costello, though.

Also, in case we have failed to draw the proper attention to this fact so far, THE RECORD IS CALLED MOMOFUKU. We hope the whole thing sounds like the "Boom Shakalaka" chant in the Muppet Treasure Island scene where Miss Piggy is revealed to be the queen of the tribe of wild boars.

They don't mention the date .
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

KNARP discriminators
KNARP is PRANK spelt backwards.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Re-reading The Word interview -

http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/elvis-costello

- it's easy to see that Elvis was hinting at Momofuku

So at the moment you don't have a plan to make a band record or rock record or whatever, in the next two years or something like that, or you might do or you might not?

You know what, I might make five records, I might go back to that plan. You know, but if I do make five records, I don't want to be told we can't put them out because that isn't what we can do. Because, you know, if you can do it they should be able to do it. So if they can't deal with it then they're clearly the wrong people.

What probably made Lost Highway agree to it was the coverage The Police support slot got. Perhaps it was put to them that if they wouldn't go with it someone else would.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lost Highway have this picture and a short and direct confirmation -

http://main.losthighwayrecords.com/arti ... 61&aid=175

Yep... It's true.
3/18/2008
And No Coffee Table

Hmmm... So Lost Highway is specifically endorsing the Billboard article, which says there will be no CD release?

(Admittedly, it says "for the time being.")
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Remember when I predicted some media outlet would pick up the April 1st angle before reading too closely?

Congratulations, Pitchfork!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Interesting suggestion here : http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008/03/21/e ... n-noodles/

"....Or, more likely, every song on the album is literally about Ramen noodles, including relationships that have deteriorated as a result of Ramen, lonely alcoholics fantasizing about Ramen in the newspaper, and the song “Pump It Up” where “It” refers to Ramen. Yeah, it’s probably that."

:lol: :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ayako posts to listserv -

Someone has told me an interesting fact about Momofuku.

Instant noodle was first released in Japan by Nisshin (a food company founded by Momofuku Ando) on August 25th, 1958. So, although it is 4 years younger, instant noodle shares the same birthday with Elvis! Did he know this, or just a coincidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momofuku_Ando

.......and ,while I'm at it, a guess at the album sleeve?

or this

From the Monkey To Man video ; more stills here -

http://www.elviscostello.info/pic/video ... to_man.php