Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Jackson Monk »

I really despise the way Arsenal FC insult the cups of this country. Surely this must irritate any Arsenal fan worth his salt? How can you not be interested in winning all comps you are involved in? I just don't get it. For all of Chelsea's irritating ways, they always put strong sides out and try to win all they enter. I admire that. Isn't that what the game is all about?

I find it interesting that nine years on, neutrals still remember the treble winning Manure side as all time greats. I think that there's a good reason for that.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The year Fergie fucked off to Brazil for a PR (cash-raising) jolly instead of playing in the FA Cup was a disgrace. We have the best record of all, and we want to improve it further. Portsmouth at home? No problem. Come on Barnsley!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The year Fergie fucked off to Brazil for a PR (cash-raising) jolly instead of playing in the FA Cup was a disgrace. We have the best record of all, and we want to improve it further. Portsmouth at home? No problem. Come on Barnsley!
Afraid you might actually lose if you have to play Chelsea, eh?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Philly gets 16th MLS team.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... ia-to.html

Wahoo! Road trip!!! :D :D
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I could say so much, but I'll keep it short.

The best side won. I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed.

As much as I genuinely admire Drogba, his 'Why?" stlye dive for chelsea's free kick was a joke. It was a free kick, but for fuck's sake, footrball is not a part of the dramatic arts...or is it?

We wanted it more and I think its been a long time since one of the 'big 4' won a major trophy, and that must be good for football. It may be the most minor of those trophies, but its start and we've beaten a full strength Chelsea to do it.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:I could say so much, but I'll keep it short.

The best side won. I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed.

As much as I genuinely admire Drogba, his 'Why?" stlye dive for chelsea's free kick was a joke. It was a free kick, but for fuck's sake, footrball is not a part of the dramatic arts...or is it?

We wanted it more and I think its been a long time since one of the 'big 4' won a major trophy, and that must be good for football. It may be the most minor of those trophies, but its start and we've beaten a full strength Chelsea to do it.
Congratulations. I can't argue with your assessment because I missed the match (was at my dad's place with the kids). Needless to say I won't be going back to watch it. Grant is clearly not up to scratch. After a string of wins against poor teams he has now come up against some good teams and lost/drawn every time. The guy is a managerial lightweight. If I were Olympiacos I'd be licking my lips. A score draw and they are through. What an incredibly disappointing season. Even if we win something, which we still might, I've yet to see a single moment of inspiration. The players have been going through the motions and skating by on nothing but talent. Really dour, awful crap.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I agree with that assessment. I can't see Chelsea catching both Arse and Manure. Grant doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to win a Champs League. The FA Cup would be your best bet IMHO.

It was interesting that Grant complained about the timing of the whistle.

What I found stranger was the amount of stoppage time accrued in the second half of extra time.
3.5 mins!! Not sure where that came from. That's a hell of a lot of stoppage time over a 15 minute spell.

Anyone see the Eduardo incident. Nasty...very very nasty :(
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Not only did we whop the filths arse and knock them out of the cup but we beat chelsea in the final!! OMFG what a day - never have I felt so much excitement, stress and elation all in one day. Watched most of the extra time played from behind a cushion! My partner Bruce and I screamed our heads off, did a war dance then cried!! Sad gits or wot? :lol: Now for the EUFA cup!!....

Im sweating on my fantasy footie cup game now. Im in round 9 (donwn to the last 6000) and I have 60 points and my opponent has 62. I have 3 players to play tonight he has 2......dont think i can stand much more stress!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

I hope you had Lescott and he didn't!

Didn't see Eduardo, but it does seem like it was stupid and ill-judged rather than malicious in any way. 9 months out, they're saying. Could have been worse.

Lovely to see Birmingham get that draw and the Almighty Red Gods in Shorts annihilating Newcastle, which is some sort of fitting retribution for that night c. 10 years back when it was the other way round - I was in my wife's home-village in Ireland that night and getting a lot of stick for that awful result.

Congrats to Spurs and Juande, and nice one Woodgate. Avram Who? is living up to his name.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Yep I did have Lescott Otis and im through!! Round 10 and down to the last 3000! Im going to enjoy it while it lasts cos I dont think i will win the next round as i'll be playing the cream of the leagues now!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Well done. Wish I was with you! Good ol' Lescott. Moyes is having a really strong season.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

You know you want to see it again...

:shock:
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Bad taste to show that on here.
I'm sure solack would say it a bit stronger than me.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Fishfinger king wrote:Bad taste to show that on here.
I'm sure solack would say it a bit stronger than me.
I'd be surprised if so lack were offended by it. he's the one who posted the Munich stuff.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Don't be ridiculous Fishfinger king. I wasn't rying to offend anyone, nor did I post it in 'bad taste', so get a grip.

Double fracture and an ankle dislocation thrown in. All going well they reckon 9 months until he plays again which is pretty darn amazing.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

As PoP says, we all have a macabre interest in this kind of thing. You look between your fingers, but you just have to look.
corruptio optimi pessima
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Sorry I must be oversensitive or squeamish.
Still makes me feel sick.
Big game tomorrow......
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What a difference a week makes. Chelsea put 4 past West Ham and win going away, while Spuds lose 4-1 to Brum. Normal service is resumed.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:What a difference a week makes. Chelsea put 4 past West Ham and win going away, while Spuds lose 4-1 to Brum. Normal service is resumed.

Except for the fact that :-

a) we are already in europe next year and

b) We have an important EUFA cup game on thursday and need to keep something back after playing so many matches in such a short time.
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:What a difference a week makes. Chelsea put 4 past West Ham and win going away, while Spuds lose 4-1 to Brum. Normal service is resumed.

Except for the fact that :-

a) we are already in europe next year and

b) We have an important EUFA cup game on thursday and need to keep something back after playing so many matches in such a short time.
Oh, that explains why you played like shit.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
Oh, that explains why you played like shit.

Yep!! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Re:

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Happy with the Milan tie.
You're kidding! Why be happy to be drawn against the holders one of the two or three teams most likely to be able to beat Arse? I'm very relieved we're not. Arse may be playing some great footie this season, but their lack of experience against the mighty Meeelan will tell, for sure. I'd say this will be difficult for them.
I eat my words! That is an incredible result. Needless to say I didn't watch it, too busy biting my nails elsewhere, but I take my hat off to them. Four teams out of 8 from the Prem? Would be an amazing situation.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

OMFG IM THROUGH TO ROUND 11 IN THE FANTASY CUP !!!! Down to the last 1 1/2 thousand.........ive just feinted!! :shock:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Well done, Gilli.
Crossing my fingers for you !!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Four English teams through to the CL quarterfinals (probably). Please don't let us draw Liverpool.