Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by miss buenos aires »

BlueChair wrote:I think it's time for me to get a new job. I've been at the same place for almost three years now, primarily writing and editing for a weekly newsletter. But as a result of a new boss coming in, I'm doing a lot less writing (actually virtually no writing) and instead spend entire days copying data from one piece of software to an Excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint. It's pretty soul sucking. If anybody has good leads on Toronto writing jobs (ha!) or paying gigs that would allow me to work from wherever I am, please PM me :P
You could post a freelancing resume on mediabistro.com, I've heard of that leading to some pretty good gigs.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I got accepted into Pitt's nursing school. Now I've actually got a descion to make.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Congratulations!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

StrictTime wrote:I got accepted into Pitt's nursing school. Now I've actually got a descion to make.
That's nice area out around Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. My brother was at grad school at CMU. Congrats!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I completely forgot about the Grammys.

Does this make me out of the loop or ahead of the curve?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ahead of the curve. The Grammys are about as relevent as a Wham! 'Choose Life' shirt.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

pophead2k wrote:Ahead of the curve. The Grammys are about as relevent as a Wham! 'Choose Life' shirt.
Those shirts will never go out of style, you hear me!? *runs off crying*

Actually, I've seen people wearing shirts with the big ol' lettering lately. Idiots, yes, but it looks like those shirts might be making a comeback. I don't see the same thing happening for the Grammys though...
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ha! Great line!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

StrictTime wrote:
pophead2k wrote:Ahead of the curve. The Grammys are about as relevent as a Wham! 'Choose Life' shirt.
Those shirts will never go out of style, you hear me!? *runs off crying*
Fortunately I haven't been taken to task yet for my Frankie Says Relax T shirt...

Anybody else spent the WHOLE morning opening up sackfuls of Valentine's cards? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Of course! And by that I mean, not at all. :cry:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

You know when Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get"?

He was wrong - there's a little diagram right under the the lid that tells you what everything is if you bother to look at it.

BTW the Russell Stover molasses chews are vile!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I gave my husband a box of Kahlua flavored chocolates and his card this morning.

Unfortunately, the card said "Happy Anniversary!" and NOT "Happy Valentine's Day." :oops: So, I got him a six pack of the expensive stuff to erase the pain.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Yay! Just found out I have Monday off for President's Day. I will be celebrating the life of quite simply the most awesome president ever, George W. Bush.

Unfortunately the kids are home for the week on winter break so I won't get to see any of those Oscar-contending movies I'd been meaning to get around to.
alexv

Post by alexv »

After a President's Day afternoon You Tube binge that started with some squeeze, moved on to Fountains of Wayne, and ended with me singing along to neil sedaka's Laughter in the Rain (who knew that both Glenn T and Neil have shared the stage with FOW), I have now officially signed a petition (it's on Neil Wikipedia site) to get Neil Sedaka elected to the R&R HOF. You can accomplish so much more on holidays.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I bet you read a book or two as well.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I just very nearly quit my job.

Too bad I like to eat so much.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I got drafted in as assistant coach on my boy's t-ball team. We are going to kick some six-year old ass this season!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Man, this snowstorm is hitting us hard, and it won't be letting up for a while. Ugh.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, it's snowing - well, ok, RAINING - in my heart today.

gonna miss you, dude.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Man, this snowstorm is hitting us hard, and it won't be letting up for a while. Ugh.
I am grateful that we are unlikely to get the brunt of that storm. The amount of snow we've had this year (even by Canadian standards, believe it or not) has been insane. Come on, spring!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

Last night I stepped off the subway right when an enormous f***ing rat ran past me on the platform. I screamed. I also froze, one foot on the train, one on the platform. People on the train looked at me strangely. "There's a rat..." I said weakly. Complete in my humiliation, I stepped off the train and ran in the opposite direction from the rat to the exit.

Fortunately, my trip home was rodent free.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Reminds me of the time I tripped over a big dumb labrador when I was running down the side of a church at night when I was about 11. It was weird the way it happened, my leg couldn't bend forward on the knee any more, it reached the limit of its movement forcefully, and i just went over. Tripping over a dog never happened to me before or since. It hurt and I scuffed my church pants. I was angry at the dog yet I couldn't exactly blame it.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Dogs are dangerous! It's a fact! Pawli stopped in the threshold once - something she never ever ever does because she wants to go out ASAP - so I fell over her and hit the concrete sidewalk outside the front door. It's a wonder I didn't break my hip. Dagnabit.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Bad girl, Pawli!

Weird to see a major scandal over abuse and murder (one found, more to follow?) in a former special needs children's home in my home island of Jersey:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe ... 262108.stm

Senator Stuart Syvret on the Today programme, etc. Jersey's a quiet and very rich place whose inhabitants are generally pretty smug about their affluent independence from the UK. It's no huge surprise that horrific things have happened there too and are now coming to light. It's a really sad story. The expert sniffer dogs have been brought in. More corpses in the cellar?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Slow day today. So slow in fact I have time to ponder how I'm going to secure a fence post to a brick wall with just one fixture at the weekend.

Brilliantness: http://producten.hema.nl/. Give it time to load.