Facebook

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Facebook

Post by Jackson Monk »

Aside from Gillibeanz, are there any other Facebook users out there?

All my mates are old golfing scrotes who haven't even figured out how to use email yet!
corruptio optimi pessima
StrictTime

Re: Facebook

Post by StrictTime »

I do! I actually got it at Spooky's behest. But I'm not an old scrote, I guess. :P
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm on there as well. Maybe we should make a club......
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Sounds great....I'll send you all my details. I'm a tart who'll take all he friends he can get!
corruptio optimi pessima
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Red and I are on there
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I have a MySpace page that I barely maintain - seems like most of my time on there (hardly any) is taken up with deleting spam from people who want to show me their sexy photos. How is Facebook any better/different?
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I just find it to be less cluttered in general. And since most of my friends use Facebook and not MySpace, I ended up using Facebook more than MySpace.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Elvis is on myspace. :P
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

What is so good about it, isn't it a bit of an enslaving waste of time? I'd rather text or phone.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I don't use Facebook as a communication tool per se; rather I've used it to find people I'd lost track of (or vice versa!). Its an easy way to see friends' recent photos. Its also amusing as an occasional time-waster if you like to take quizzes and things like that. Its texting that I don't understand the appeal of!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

And call me naive but I find the whole invasion of privacy and market targeting aspects of it pretty repulsive.

This shows you where the Facebook bastards are at -

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/12/06/5640/
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Yeah, I never joined, and as I've found out more and more about how little respect Facebook has for your privacy, I decided I was better off. Also, it's apparently next to impossible to delete your profile. They hold onto all your personal information for as long as they want. Call me paranoid, but they're the kind of people I can imagine saying to the government, "You want a list of people who are in anti-war groups? Here you go!"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I actually find MySpace a lot more invasive, what with the amount of spam messages and fake profiles. On Facebook it's a lot easier to avoid the clutter, though it is beginning to get worse.

And call me lazy, but Facebook has actually improved my social life. All I have to do is create an event, invite all of my friends, and suddenly I have a social outing planned. Many of my friends will do the same thing. No calling around or sending e-mails to out-of-date addresses that don't work anymore. Plus, like pophead said, it's a great tool to reconnect with people you've lost touch with, especially for my generation since so many of us are on there.

There's a check box that you can uncheck to keep your details private, and I've done that. You can also select how much or how little you want shared with people who aren't on your friends lists. People who aren't my friend can search for me, but can't access my details unless I approve them as a friend.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Yes, my Facebook page is handy way of keeping track people and things like gigs I've booked. As for invasion of privacy, it all depends on what info you post and you can restrict circulation.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

heres my Facebook page if anyone wants to add me http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=631114430
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

You sceptics are missing out on some serious online Scrabble battles amongst those of us who are members!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

pophead2k wrote:You sceptics are missing out on some serious online Scrabble battles amongst those of us who are members!
So that's where everyone's gone!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

oh, wait. you said scrabble.

my bad. :lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.