Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I went to the Fulham/Pompey match yesterday. Fulham were complete shit. shit.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I watched it on the telly, they were complete shit there too.
signed with love and vicious kisses
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I wondered if you were there, BWAP. First half was ok. Lots of camera time for Mostest. Which, besides Joserphine's win, was the highlight of my soccer weekend. A Great Suckitude swept both sides of the Atlantic.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Why couldn't Dempsey get me more points?

Blumer (!) Elano is looking awesome.

Shame about Liverpool, two home losses in one week was looking sweet.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

He was trying his best, especially having 2 or 3 scary looking great big dudes on him. But that was for my points, not yours. 8)

Portsmouth are in that top tier or whatever, right? I watched one of their games last year and thought they were one big bad bald machine.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Oh my, I never expected England to lose after the first half and beautiful goal from Rooney.
Now even defeating Croatia next month may not be enough to qualify.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

They sat back and invited Russia to attack, so got what they deserved. Looks like it will be a summer off for England, unless Israel (that famous European powerhouse) can play the saviour.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I blame Lampard.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Im really off football!! :roll: :evil:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

If it means getting a proper manager in for the World Cup, so be it. there's always the rugby. And the beauty of club football.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Can you feel the love?

Sam, were you part of the Insomniacs Anonymous watching the game last night? I was actually kind of hoping LA would win. Wish I had Telefutura so I could see the Blanco/Beckham show. Somebody's gonna get hurt. For real!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I tried to stay awake, but was out late the previous night with my mom in town, the missus is on her way to Australia again and my boy's been hit with walking pneumonia, so I was too worn out. I have to cart the kids out to Boston for a wedding this weekend. That should be interesting.

I'm so happy to see Adu being given a run out with the national team. Now just put Alti in there in place of the useless Twellman and you might have something good.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Do you think Jozy will be back for RB next year?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:Do you think Jozy will be back for RB next year?
Yeah, one more year I think (hope?), unfortunately not in the new stadium.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and the upside to the stadium delay is that Claudio will a) retire or b) not play much. I think you call that a mixed blessing.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:and the upside to the stadium delay is that Claudio will a) retire or b) not play much. I think you call that a mixed blessing.
He's been incredibly disappointing. I've had other fans tell me I'm missing all the great stuff he does, but I don't buy it. Nothing but 5-yard passes sideways or back to the keeper. Waterreus is retiring at the end of the season as well. No great loss there.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

So is Beckham fit and playing again?
I watched him for years at Old trafford and he was superb.
Big turning point was when he hooked up with Posh and he was never the same again.
Bit like John Lennopn and Yoko.
...I want him to hurt...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Had a brief appearance last night, but he has been injured almost the entire season for the Galaxy. One great free kick goal in the SuperLiga match against (I think) Pachuca of Mexico, but otherwise he's done nothing. We'll see what he's able to do next season when/if he's healthy.

Other big-name imports have been much more successful - Juan Pablo Angel in New York and Cuahtemoc Blanco in Chicago.
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Yeah i think there were ulterior motives for his move to LA. The guy was a legend and id be sorry if the move doesnt work out for him.
You never know he could surprise us all next season?
...I want him to hurt...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

colrow26 wrote:Yeah i think there were ulterior motives for his move to LA. The guy was a legend and id be sorry if the move doesnt work out for him.
You never know he could surprise us all next season?
I think he'll be better next season. He was on fire for Real Madrid at the end of last season. If he can recapture that form, I'd be happy.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It's the hair. The burr is NOT a good look for him. Like Sampson. I mean, Samson.

Guillermo Barros Schelotto also deserves a mention as an "interesting newcomer" or whatever.
Otis Westinghouse

colrow26 wrote:I watched him for years at Old trafford and he was superb.
Result! Another disciple of the one and only most brilliant football club ever. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time on this board. Hope you stay around and become a regular on this thread. And I'll inform you, before someone else gloats over the details, that I live in Cambridge, and grew up in Jersey. BUT my granny was 100% Mancunian!

So I was at the wedding yesterday of my Bingley-raised colleague Clare whose Dad I knew to be another disciple. I made myself known to him and within seconds he was telling me how he used to go and see Duncan Edwards et al in the 50s. And we revelled in the fact that the boys had done the deed against Villa with a 3-1 victory, and of course he commenced his father-of-bride speech with this important news. Best speech ever! And then it turned out Giggs scored a late one to make it 4. Haven't seen highlights yet, but Observer had Tevez as man of the match. Two goals by Rooney and Tevez shining? Is the intended script for this season starting to take effect?

You are a supporter, aren't you?
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Alright Otis? indeed I am a Man United fan and have been for 40 odd years since my Dad took me down to Old Trafford to watch Best Law and Charlton do their stuff!! Did my time on the Streford End and watched them through thick and thin including our stint in the 2nd division in 74/75.
In fact my thingy name on the forum reflects where I sit at Old Trafford - row26 in what used to be called J stand before we went all modern and called it "the North east Quadrant" I was lucky enough to be in Barcelona when we won the European Cup in 99 and have watched the Reds all over Europe whenever I get the chance (and the money!)
Id be hard pushed to choose which of my twin passions means most to me, since I was a kid Ive loved football and music in equal measures. with music I started like most my age with seeing the Beatles on tv then when i was old enough to buy records myself started with buying stuff by Bowie, Roxy, T Rex before moving on to Costello, Jam and The Clash.
As for United and their title chances this season well Im amazed that after three games we only had 2 points and i was thinking how can we have surrendered the title within the first week of the season?? I should have known Fergie better shouldnt i? This team has the potential to deliver big time this season and I do belive Fergie very much has success in Europe as his priority this year. Fingers crossed for a trip to Moscow in May!!
...I want him to hurt...
Otis Westinghouse

What a way to grow up! Respect for your forum name. I am not worthy. All the United hating bastards on this forum are going to be hideously appalled by this sudden outbreak of Red Devils worship. And you were there in the Camp Nou in '99! Blimey. (Did you know that Shezza's north London house is called Camp Nou in honour of his greatest moment?

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/stor ... 43,00.html I drove past it last summer and thought 'what's that all about?' and then Google explained all.)

For my utterly useless sins I have to confess to only having seen them thrice: Highbury, Feb '92, 'One spotty virgin, there's only one spotty virgin' from the Gooners to the tune of Guantanamera in honour of Giggsy, scourge of the left wing, and Kanchelskis bombing down the right, a draw; Crystal Palace spring 2000, Beckham, 'Giggs, Giggs will tear you apart again', Jordi Cruyff scored; and the only time ever at the Theatre of Heaven, dec '05, 4-2 against Crystal Palace. Scholesy scored twice, man of the match, King Eric was present, saw him and Scholes outside afterwards, but only got Andy Johnson's autograph. And much mirth over an announcement asking Mr Mystery (OK, Mistri) to make himself known to the ground staff.

They came to Jersey in my early days as a fan, Charlton and Best both present, I think, not sure about Law. I was just too young on a school night, and my dad was only into rugby.

What was Rooney up to with that penalty, though?
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

Yeah poor penalty from Rooney on Saturday but we'll let him off after his two goals in the first half!

I had heard about Sheringhams house, what a great player he was. He only spent 4 or 5 seasons at United but he must have loved it eing involved in the treble season and scoring in the FA Cup final and European Cup final - not many players can claim that can they?

So there are the usual United haters hanging around this forum?? I shall look forward to hearing from them :)
...I want him to hurt...