Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Some things just aren't right, ya'll. For example, Willie Nelson is performing here in town on in November. A local television station is having a week long promotion to give away a pair of tickets every night to viewers.

They're calling the promotion "Willie Week."

Ain't right. It just ain't right.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

They should call it 'Free Willie Week'.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

That's what we call it when someone's fly is unzipped.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Look out, double-posting!

I always feel like such an insufferable snot when I write....
The internal almost becomes the external, and anything external serves to physically manifest the internal.
Why do I care about the internal changes and meaning of death in The Metamorphosis and Becket? Actually, I'm quite terrified of doing horribly, because all of the kids in my class are extremely smart, and I always feel a little pedestrian in comparison. These kids are genuises or something. Anyway, back to essay-writing. Wish me luck!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

You will learn to love Kafka.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I already like Kafka, I enjoyed the book tremendously and look forward to reading other works by him. It is the writing prompts that are insufferable.
In both the novel, The Metamorphosis, and the play, Becket, some of the most significant events are mental or psychological; for example, awakenings, discoveries, changes in conciousness. In a well organised essay, describe how the authors manage to give these internal events the sense of excitement, suspense, and climax usually associated with external action. In addition, some of the most important themes in literature are sometimes developed in scenes in which a death or deaths take place. Show how each specific death scene helps to illuminate the meaning of the work as a whole. Avoid mere plot summary.
Interesting subject for discussion, but pretty boring to write about. And my propensity to over-write is really difficult to keep in check, so I somehow managed to put two different interpretations of Metamorphosis in there, one which was never discussed in class and I thought up on my own. I ended up at about three and a fifth pages, double spaced, size twelve font. Not too shabby. I'd post it if it was interesting at all.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What was the theory you thought up? You must share it with us!

If I recall, when Gregor is being left to rot in his room and they fling some desultory food at him each day, someone lobs an apple which gets lodged in his carapace and rots. Do I remember well, some 25 years down the line?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Well, an apple does get lodged in there, strange detail to remember but yeah that's basically it. What they taught us was that Gregor's Metamorphosis could be a metaphor for any emotional problem or drug abuse, alcoholism, anorexia, et. al. What I thought was (And this has probably already been thought of, but I thought of it myself, damnit) that Kafka was showing society's obsession with efficiency. Gregor's family loves him fine while they are of use to them, but as soon as he changes, they soon tire of taking care of him and find him repulsive. Gregor starves himself to death more or less because he is no longer useful. Basically, society values efficiency and once on loses their ability to be useful, we are unable/unwilling to take care of them. Probably full of holes, but there it is. Like I said, some-one else has surely thought of this, but I thought it up all by myself, not bad for a high-schooler.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I believe you, Strict Time. I perfectly believe that you came to those conclusions on your own. And good for you. :-)
Otis Westinghouse

Good theory. It's a good way of putting it. The version they taught you has a lot of contemporary resonances - alcoholism may have been prevalent in Kafka's time, but anorexia and drug abuse less so. I think a more general metaphor is 'ousiderism'. Anyone that doesn't fit in the prescribed order is left with a rotting apple in their body. That more or less fits both theories, and could be viewed as a precursor to Nazism. 'There's no room for the weak', as Ian Curtis sang.

Samsa is an echo of Kafka. I loved reading the letters of Kafka and the (Max Brod?) life of. He tried to throw most of his writings on the fire, but brod stopped him.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

What they were basically trying to illustrate was that Samsa's condition can apply to almost anyone. I like this version because I think that's a lot of what is wrong with society, anymore, the obsession with material success and 'efficiency.' I also like the alcoholism facet of it all, because it's definitely something that helps relate it to my life. The nazi thought is also fascinating.

I plan to read more Kafka once finances allow.

I'm going to miss my beloved shop. It was the last bastion of awesome in craphole PA. I got Janis Joplin on vinyl as a bye bye present, so hey, I have that.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

StrictTime wrote:I plan to read more Kafka once finances allow.
Get yourself a library card. Free books and you don't have to worry about all of those tomes you bought but never got round to reading staring you in the face. :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I actually never thought of that....I already called the library to find out if my old card was still in the system. Turns out no, so I'll have to bug my dad to go with (A bit far to walk, and if you're under 18 you need a parent :? ). There's always the one at my school, but you need a pass for any time that's not after school. What a bother, but yeah, good idea.

I can't believe I never thought of the library, that's like a blonde moment lasting for weeks.... :oops:

And I'm starting to feel like the Random Thoughts crazy person who posts and posts and posts.....
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

And I'm starting to feel like the Random Thoughts crazy person who posts and posts and posts.....
You mean Otis?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Otis Westinghouse

Hey! I may have the record total, but I don't think I'm the Ruler of Randomness. I spread it around...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Now, now, Otis is just very prolific. :-)
mood swung

just to bring back the Willies

Post by mood swung »

I spread it around...

anybody else seized with a sudden urge to sing Little Willy?

anybody?

North side, east side
Little Willy, Willy wears the crown, he's the king around town
Dancing, glancing
Willy drives them silly with his star shoe shimmy shuffle down
Way past one, and feeling alright
'Cause with little Willy round they can last all night
Hey down, stay down, stay down down

'Cause little Willy, Willy won't go home
But you can't push Willy round
Willy won't go, try tellin' everybody but, oh no
Little Willy, Willy won't go home

I miss AM radio.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I just had to teach a co-worker who is in her mid-70s how to use a computer mouse. It's a remarkably difficult thing to do. I'd like to think I was patient, but I worry I just came across as patronizing.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Hundred percent on my essay on The Progressives! Yes! *high five*

And who knows, once I'm aroung long enough, I might just be the Random Thoughts crazy person...watch your back, Otis....

(And a little bit of weird internet/real life comparison....in real life, if I met any of you (adults), you'd be Mr., Ms. or Mrs. (Insert last name here). Or Sir or Ma'am, even. But if I were to call anyone Mr or Ms here, it'd be awully strange. Just a thought.)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

RedShoes wrote:I just had to teach a co-worker who is in her mid-70s how to use a computer mouse. It's a remarkably difficult thing to do. I'd like to think I was patient, but I worry I just came across as patronizing.
Red: No, you batty old bird! Not a left click! A right click! *deep sigh* Move, I'll do it myself. Sheesh.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

No doubt that's part of her elderly nefarious plot. Old age and treachery. Or was it poor wage and lechery?
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Just call me Mr. Lacklustre
signed with love and vicious kisses
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

StrictTime wrote:(And a little bit of weird internet/real life comparison....in real life, if I met any of you (adults), you'd be Mr., Ms. or Mrs. (Insert last name here). Or Sir or Ma'am, even. But if I were to call anyone Mr or Ms here, it'd be awully strange. Just a thought.)
I end up getting called Mrs. so often that it's really nice NOT to be called that.
Otis Westinghouse

StrictTime wrote:watch your back, Otis....
Sir Otis to you.

Actually, in this day and age, teenagers call their friends' parents by their first name, don't they? Mine do. 'Mr Westinghouse' would sound ludicrously formal. Maybe it's more common in the US.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Often people do call their friends' parents by their first name. My mom has friends that I call by their first name, but generally I assume Mr or Mrs unless otherwise told to me. I call my close friend's mom 'mom' and she asked me to call her Debbie, but I just couldn't do it. 'Mom' is as close as I can get. I think it's got to do with the way you're raised, blah blah blah. Most of my parents' friends were Aunt this and Uncle that, so I guess I just never got used to calling adults by their first names. My mom, however, is Kimm or Aunt Kimm to all. And I think I'm the only teen who still uses Sir and Ma'am, honestly. I'm some sort of weird throwback. Aaaaaaaaand, rambling again.....

Who knows? I might give you a run for your money, Sir Otis, Mr. Westinghouse, sir.