Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just listened to Grant's press conference today. I think I need to lie down in a dark room. He's so far out of his depth it's unreal. He will get eaten alive by the UK media.

I wonder if they will need someone to come in and wake up the players after his team talk.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

I don't care what the hierarchy say, it's obvious to me that they have someone in mind (who can't start straight away) and that Grant is just the sacrificial lamb awaiting slaughter.

By the way the new Chelsea manager's surname is not pronounced [i]Grarnt[/i]............wait for it.......

......................it's Ovich :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:roll: :roll:

That is awful! :D

A couple of interesting slips of the tongue today. First, when he said "nobody is happy to do ... er er hmm for these things to happen." (clearly had some role in getting Jose the sack). Second one was when he mumbled something incoherent about having been asked to take control of the club for a "period of time". They avoided questions about his contract like the plague and refused to talk about whether they would now appoint a new director of football to replace him, given that it's such a "vital role". I hope the backstabber is out on his ear by the end of October.

Avram salutes the media at the end of his press conference...

so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Rooney was lucky not to get a second yellow. Saha dived, no penalty - but it hardly mattered.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Rooney was lucky not to get a second yellow. Saha dived, no penalty - but it hardly mattered.
That's for sure. One shot one target - not good enough. Playing Sheva as a lone striker wasn't exactly a tactical masterstroke.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

No Bale no Defoe - strange goings on indeed at the Lane. Im still miffed as to why we have spent big money on 4 strikers, 2 of which hardly ever get a game. A few seasons ago we had a huge overload of midfielders ? :?

I guess now Jol has negotiated his 4 million pound pay off he doesnt give a flying f**k ! Time for him to put his clogs on and bugger off so we can sort this fiasco out and get the club back on track! :roll:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Justice is served. ManU knocked out of the Carling Cup by Coventry City. Cue "we don't care about this competition."

And the Zionist army put the Hull scum to the sword 4-0.

Jackson, it looks as if Bale is playing tonight. Jol must be exchanging notes with Benitez - save your best players for the Carling Cup.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Benitez's selections are more puzzling than Jol's. Ferguson got it right tonight, the LC is a waste of time. I would have been happy to see Arsenal go out last night. As it was it quite pleasing to see some of Arsenal's other younger players be nearly as good as the young players in the first team. Maybe the squad is deeper than some people have been suggesting. I hope Wenger continues to play only fringe and reserve players in this competition. He brought out some of the first team for the final last year but should have stuck with the players that got them there. However wrong and manufactured by the board the Jol situation is, if Totteringham want to get anywhere this season they need to get rid of him sonner rather than later. His position has become untenable no matter how much Levy keeps backing him.
Port Vale manager Martin Foyle has left the club by mutual consent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 014230.stm
Hopefully this will mean that he will start posting a bit more frequently.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Cue "we don't care about this competition."
We don't care about this competition.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:Ferguson got it right tonight, the LC is a waste of time. I would have been happy to see Arsenal go out last night.
See I don't understand this attitude. There are only 4 trophies to be won each season (5 if you count the UEFA Cup), and this is one of them. The league will have one winner and everything else will be a crapshoot. Would you rather finish the season with nothing in the trophy cabinet or at least have something to show for your efforts? I find that Arsenal and ManU supporters tend to be most dismissive of the Carling Cup, probably because their trophy cabinets are already overflowing and they are spoiled rotten. That's obviously not the case at a lot of other clubs, including Chelsea.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Cue "we don't care about this competition."
We don't care about this competition.
"I'm flabbergasted by our performance," Ferguson said. "It is a big shock for us all. These are young players that we have great hope for and we have trumpeted them in a loud way."

Not a care in the world.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:Ferguson got it right tonight, the LC is a waste of time. I would have been happy to see Arsenal go out last night.
See I don't understand this attitude. There are only 4 trophies to be won each season (5 if you count the UEFA Cup), and this is one of them. The league will have one winner and everything else will be a crapshoot. Would you rather finish the season with nothing in the trophy cabinet or at least have something to show for your efforts? I find that Arsenal and ManU supporters tend to be most dismissive of the Carling Cup, probably because their trophy cabinets are already overflowing and they are spoiled rotten. That's obviously not the case at a lot of other clubs, including Chelsea.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's easy for Arse and Manure to diss the Carling Cup (and often the FA Cup), but it's not long ago that both clubs were happy to settle for the glory of a domestic cup competition.
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

goat fans everywhere

Post by mood swung »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS03vZUeJE

honestly, he should have gone Galaxy. much more pain and misery.

Just for Sam, JPA named one of People (En Espanol) Magazine's 10 Sexiest Men. I helped.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: goat fans everywhere

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS03vZUeJE

honestly, he should have gone Galaxy. much more pain and misery.

Just for Sam, JPA named one of People (En Espanol) Magazine's 10 Sexiest Men. I helped.
:D :D

Good for Morrissey. Nice to see someone high-profile supporting MLS even if it is the Goats.

As for that People list, I must say I'm shocked that Luis Guzman missed the cut...

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Los hombres más sexy :-)

Here's looking at you, moody...

I have the quasi-unibrow, but that's all JPA and I have in common.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The 1987 League cup win over Liverpool - Ian Rush et al was quite pleasing (Arse hadn't won anything sice 1979), adn during the Euro ban years the LC was worth going for. However, since the CL took over I have never liked the LC, it just gets in the way. maybe it should be just for clubs not in Cl or Europe or it should be an under 21 comp. But the winners qualifying for europe is just not right. What other countries have two domestic cup competitions?
The FA Cup is a different matter, I do not like Wenger fielding weakened teams for this, but I can see that might make sense if still in the running for Prem & CL.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

unibrow gone!

my favorite JPA moment (so far)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s49RAW4fUoA
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

That was sweet. Best game of the season. I liked his header in the Kansas City game at Giants Stadium earlier this year. Perfectly placed and there was nothing the keeper could do about it.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:What other countries have two domestic cup competitions?
France, Portugal, and a few others. I wouldn't mind seeing them cut teams playing in Europe out of it. I also like Platini's suggestion to give the 4th CL place to the FA Cup winner.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:What other countries have two domestic cup competitions?
I also like Platini's suggestion to give the 4th CL place to the FA Cup winner.
I've always liked this idea, but then I really thought about it. What diffference would it really make? The same sides win the FA Cup as finish in the top four? Take the last 12 years:

Manchester Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Manchester United
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Arsenal
Manchester United
Arsenal
Liverpool
Chelsea

What you would actually end up with is the runners-up getting into the Champs League - Millwall, Newcastle or Southampton for instance. In many cases, both the winners and the runners up have already qualified for the champs league. What then? the semi-finalists?

The FA Cup used to be a reward in itself....a bloody big one!

It's been downgraded by greed and a lack of respect - esp by UEFA and by Sir Alex, who has completely forgotten that it saved his career. It's never been the same since he took Man Utd off to South America and was excused the inconvenience of the 3rd Rd by the FA.

Bringing back the CWC would work, but only if UEFA change the format of the Champs League and reduce the quota to two from each league. I for one am really bored of watching the same old teams fight out the CL from the last 16 onwards. The group stages have become so predictable - most of us could work out the qualifiers now.

Its getting to be a little like the Rugby World Cup - first rd is a waste of time where the wheat and chaff are separated. After that its Milan v Madrid, Arse v Lyon, Manure v Bayern etc etc

I'm living in cloud cuckooland but I'd like to see a smaller side like Forest, Gothenberg or Villa win the CL. Aint ever gonna happen again. :(

The only solution is to spread the wealth by going back to the three european competitions and making the CL exactly what it says on the tin - a competition for champions.....not a money making cartel.
corruptio optimi pessima
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Jackson Monk wrote:The only solution is to spread the wealth by going back to the three european competitions and making the CL exactly what it says on the tin - a competition for champions.....not a money making cartel.
You cynic you :lol:

In my simplistic way, I believe a Champions League should only comprise of champions from their respective leagues. Why not just rename it Champions Down To Fourth Place League If You Are One Of The Lucky Countries League?

Similarly how is it fair that teams finishing from 3rd to 6th place in the League can play off for the third promotion space? I would have thought that having proven yourself as the 3rd best club over the course of a 36 game or so season would be reward.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Here's a question for you.......

Is Alan Shearer shagging Michael Owen?
corruptio optimi pessima
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

all three goat fans have snapped them up!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

He has a West Ham shirt on too. :shock:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

What happened to your Arsenal?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more